BS Class of 2020 Thread

I’m not following @skieurope There is definitely no intention of taking any of the subject tests twice. I’m just wondering when the kid should take the chem subject test. The circumstances are that the kid is currently taking the AP course (so I think should have taken the chem subject test last year after completing the 300-leve class, but that’s water under the bridge now), and is scheduled to take the math 2 subject test in December because the pre calc sequence will have just ended. The kid would stop talking to me if I suggested the November date, so that only leaves the May and June dates. My concern with the May date is that the review of HS chem material for the subject test will interfere with the prep for the AP test which I believe will be administered the week immediately after the SAT date. Clear as mud?

@AppleNotFar , I would schedule it right after the AP. Apple kid will have studied for AP and can use a review book to plug holes/refresh before subject test.

For Bio SAT II, 06/02/2018 test looks ideal. You would have studied all the material that the class teaches. School is done. AP test is done. And you have some time to prep for the SAT II test. And it’s not too far into the precious Summer vacation.

@AppleNotFar - mine took SAT subject tests in May and did fine. He took Spanish with Listening in November, because that is the only administration. I think he took SAT Chem Subject test on a Saturday, then AP Chem two days later. June date is right after exams/moving out. And he went back for graduation (day after SAT date) each year.

@SculptorDad , 6/2/2018 would be ideal. However, carpoolkid will be halfway around the world on that date.
May means ds will be plugging holes (he never took a bio class prior to AP) while studying for an AP exam. Aug means he has to refresh his brain! ARGH!

Thank you @gardenstategal @SculptorDad and @MA2012 for all the thoughtful feedback. Right now I am leaning towards asking the kid which date sounds best.

On a related note: Will the school register the kids for the AP tests or is that something the parents (or the kids!) need to do?

" I did not opt in for the college search stuff–not quite ready to be getting a bunch of stuff from a bunch of different colleges. Or was that a bad move?"

Definitely the right move. I’d never check off those boxes/supply that info. You will get many box loads of stuff otherwise. Best to focus on school’s that interest your student without all the noise, IMO.

I highly recommend setting up an email account for your child for the express purpose of the college application process. Best if it is something both child and parent can access. It will keep everything together and you can organize in files if you want. Students aren’t always good about checking emails that might need a quick response time so parental access can be helpful in managing the process.

Re: AP registration. Only one of my kids took one, and only one, but it was arranged by the school. Double check with your school, though, and it does take communication between the student and the appropriate office at the BS.

School registers the kids. Sometime in the winter kids get an email with all of the sign up information. Registration is due before spring break. And I think they changed the fee policy last year (after mine was done with AP tests) so they take AP fees out of the large chunk of money you pay at the beginning of the year (for books and AP test fees).

*This is for AppleKid’s school - procedures may vary, but I think the school always signs up kids for AP Tests (just like they do for PSAT).

thanks @MA2012 !

@carpoolingma I guess it depends on your specific situation. Since you only need 2~3 good SAT subject test scores, often with Math II and a language/social studies each, you might need only one good SAT science subject score. So if you do need that BIO to be your best bet when it is taken earlier, then yes. If you (will) already have another stronger SAT science subject by Summer after Junior year, then I would reconsider.

What’s the current “best practice” as it relates to which and how many subject tests should be taken for kids that attend boarding schools? I was thinking just 2; are 3 recommended or needed?

Georgetown requires 3. I can’t think of any others that do. So, 2 should be fine unless Georgetown is on your list.

You could build a nice list of schools that don’t require any as well. :slight_smile:

Yay @doschicos , thanks! For a number of reason, Georgetown is not on the preliminary list. So if it becomes a serious choice in the future, we’ll address that 3rd subject test then.

Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

Unless the class is a semester long class, like block scheduling ant NMH, it’s my belief that for a class in sciences or history, the Subject Test should be taken in May or June of that year. Math/Lit/foreign languages are more flexible, assuming the kid continues to pursue, so they can be taken on any date after the minimum preparation has been achieved.

As far as a kid taking Subject Tests in May along with AP tests or whatever else is going on. Well, it depends. If the kid has only a few AP tests, then I wouldn’t avoid Subject Tests solely for that reason. After all, when s/he gets to college, there is the potential that there are 4-5 finals/final projects due at the same time. But it really depends on the kid.

Maybe I can get a little more help and advice…

AppleKid needs to finalize course selections for next trimester and part of the process includes updating the planned course of study for the remainder of the year and the next two years.

Here’s the possible glitch that I’m asking to get advice about: AppleKid REALLY wants to finish with language for good THIS year, and not take it in either of the next two years. Since the kid tested into the 200-level for last year and is in the 300-level this year, the school’s language requirement will be satisfied.

What is being proposed as an alternative to language next year is the Biology sequence which heretofore was going to be taken in 12th grade. If taken next year, the kid would be taking 2 sciences next year–Biology plus Calc-based Physics (which had been planned anyway).

What I like about dropping the language in favor of the Bio sequence is that I feel that the kid should be taking Bio sooner rather than later for purposes of looking at college programs that might make it onto “the list”. While the kid has generally defined “engineering” as the area of interest, there’s only been Chemistry so far to inform a more specific direction.

The kid is very much looking forward to Physics, so saving that for 12th is not an option. In terms of what 12th grade would look like, the kid is thinking:

1. English
  2. Multivariable Calculus
  3. Full year Art History course (which will complete the school's Arts requirement)
  4. AP Computer Science
  5. Some combination of advanced science classes and/or AP Macro/Micro/Comp. Gov.

The kid is going to talk with the advisor about this, but I was hoping to get the sage counsel of my CC peeps to broaden my perspective on the decision. What are the thoughts about the kid stopping with only 2 years of language albeit at the 300 level? Could this seriously jeopardize college options?

Thanks in advance!!!

@applenotfar --some schools that are math/science focused require specific subject tests, such as Math II and a Science. I don’t remember off-hand, but I believe this is the case for MIT and Caltech alike.

There is a test prep company called Compass that publishes a free guide to college entrance testing that lists most competitive through highly competitive colleges and which colleges require what.

As for the above post, I know that our school’s language requirement is three years of the same language. I believe this is regardless of which level they entered in at. Not sure if most colleges are looking for three vs. two. Our LPS is only two years, as is the local Parochial HS. But even the independent day schools around here are requiring three of the same language, so it might be wise to err on the safe side as far as language goes :slight_smile:

@skieurope -Not sure if I should have mentioned the company name, but I thought it would be very helpful to others as it is an excellent guide. Apologies if I broke any CC rules (and feel free to edit it out if needed!)

Some colleges seem to expect 3 and even 4 years of foreign language study. Consider that before dropping a language, unless child can prove fluency (I’m guessing not). The high school’s requirements for graduation represent the bare minimum, not necessarily what selective colleges are looking for.

It’s fine - you just can’t provide the link.

300 level = 3 years for just about every potential college on the list, so you can put the 2 years comment totally aside. So now we’re talking about 3 years vs. 4. Is AK targeting colleges that recommend 4 years, or are all AK’s choices 3 years or less? Additionally do the colleges have a foreign language requirement for graduation? Trust me from experience, it’s better to take a language in HS than college.

Always a good idea. :slight_smile:

Also, putting the pieces together, I’m assuming the proposed schedule for next year is:

• English
• USH
• Math 5XX
• Physics 5XX
• Bio

I’ll tell you right now that this will be a crapload of work.