BS Class of 2020 Thread

There’s professional help for procrastination? Gee, I think I’ll call a shrink next week :-c

@SculptorDad What kind of treatment works for procrastination? How many sessions does it take to be cured? I’m in California, too! Who is this miracle worker? I want to go!

Please ask any questions about professional help, if you are serious, on PM. :slight_smile:

I feel that the gravity of having an empty-nest is finally kicking it. I had always thought she might come back but I am realizing that dd is truly gone gone for her separate life. She is not even coming home this Thanksgiving and visiting a friend instead. Between homeschooling and boarding school, we never had the “school parents experience” and now never will.

We definately all have our different journeys @SculptorDad. AppleFamily never homeschooled (we would have failed miserably), but I imagine that it is a very special time and connection between parents and kids. And we shouldn’t rule out just yet that we might get them back at some point in their adult lives! I do have to say that one thing I miss a lot about the “school parents experience” was the socializing with the other parents. We get a little bit of that when we visit AppleKid at school, but it’s far less than when the kid was home.

How was Parent/Long Weekend for everyone? Although only three weeks ago, it already feels like a year has passed since I hugged my DD goodbye. I am SO looking forward to her coming home for the Thanksgiving Holiday next Friday! Woo hoo–only seven days away!

We didn’t visit in the parent weekend because of logistics and also dd didn’t want us to come. She isn’t coming home for Thanksgiving either and will visit a friend instead. We both love living independently but we text quite often and deep. Still I would love to see her in the Winter break!

@itcannotbetrue Parent’s weekend was awesome! I loved getting to watch my DD play volleyball again. (I seriously miss watching her play) I loved getting together with the parents and seeing the staff again. My Mom and I went out together and so it was us three girls for the weekend and it was just great! I’m counting down the days until she’s home for break! I’m super excited to see her. The time I have with her is just so much more special. I’m glad I’m not the only one this excited!!

@SculptorDad I feel your sadness. I can’t believe our nest is empty and even though this is our 2nd child to head to boarding school and I went to boarding school myself, I still can’t quite believe I signed up for this! It frequently makes me sad. We are hosting an international student for Thanksgiving and I am looking forward to having the house full.

We’ve stopped fighting with our kids to want to come back home. Instead, we are buying a new house…that has a guest suite (just meaning a bedroom w its own bathroom) for each for them to feel welcome to come back when they get to the point of having spouses or families. So far, they are not panicking or feeling boxed in knowing it. I know many of our peers are downsizing and I get that. We just want home to always exist and we want to see them more than in a few lines of text.

For reference, we have 3 in college and one is a senior in BS.

Today I was watching boarders load into vans bound for the airport and more than a few brought along their laundry service bags. Interesting luggage alternative. *-:slight_smile:

@AppleNotFar --THAT is hilarious! DD comes home in four hours (hopefully with no dirty laundry). Counting down!

@dowzerw: Good for you! I was committed to staying in our old house until ChoatieKid graduated because it was important to me that he always have the home he knew to come back to. We talked about this. His response? “That’s all you, mom. I live at Choate now and will feel the same about college. I love being with you guys but ‘wherever we’re together, that’s my home.’” (To quote Billy Joel.) We downsized his senior year. He loves his private casita and wishes we’d moved earlier. :wink: I don’t think most kids are as sentimental as we parents.

So happy to see my kid! Of course he came home with a suitcase full of dirty laundry that HE has to wash.

Washing machine here was just fired up by my BS student - great minds think alike!

Good luck for all whose kid took the PSAT. The score is out. If you live where the score is published in 12~13, you can use a proxy server in California to spoof ip.

DON’T forget that the score WILL go up by next year, after another year’s schooling and hopefully some preparation!

How do you use a proxy server in CA???
Otherwise I have to wait until tomorrow.

Here is how you can do it: http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-set-up-a-proxy-in-windows-10/

and here is a list: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/proxy/list1.html

Personally, I think an inexpensive lifetime private proxy server account is very useful for protecting your identity (and access collegeboard for AP scores, etc.) such as this one;
https://slickdeals.net/f/10950235-vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription-5-devices-18?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

We were scheduled to get it the 13th but I just checked and there it was. AppleKid might start studying over winter break! :open_mouth:

It says the release date depends on where your kid took the test. That’s not correct though. It depends on the ip address they see when you login to check the score.