BS Class of 2020 Thread

@doschicos Did you also use your home mailing address for everything? (And THANK YOU for spelling this all out for me.)

Yes, definitely home address. Caveat being we didn’t live too far from school and between sports matches, other events, and frequent Sunday dinners, we saw our kids on the regular. Mailings were filed by college than jettisoned if the college came off the list. I do think more communication is online currently than it was when we went thorough the process even several years back.

And then there was the spreadsheet… :slight_smile:

As did I. But my parents had no access to it. Although they also never asked for access.

I think (it’s been a while), I used both when that was an option, and used my school address when only one address was permitted.

@doschicos and @skieurope Thank you! My dd is in college but always wanted to go to our local in-state college and knew her desired major. She did well enough for that school on her standardized tests, applied ED and that was that. I am oversimplifying a bit (and choosing to not remember all of the anxiety) but the point is that DS '20 is a whole different ball game and I have to learn all over again!

Would add here that in cases where you state of residency matters - state flagship etc- you may want to use your home address? College reps are assigned to the state where your BS is located (all classmates have the same rep) but your residency may matter too for some schools. All decisions are via email these days and I think most of the stickers etc ended up at my daughter’s school. The reps come to the BSs to interview too. (One popular non interview school mentioned above did on campus interviews at dd’s school). You want to have clear lines of communication with those AOs that visit so school address is a good choice for that reason. We saw very little of this stuff at home beyond the junk generated by her SATs. I did get a few “ we are coming to your school” postcards which necessitated a panicked email but dd usually already knew.

We have a 2020 BSer as well and it will be interesting to see how it is this time around as it will be a completely different set of schools and her entire class is about 30 students vs 200, But we will definitely be using a spreadsheet!

Most college applications (although I am sure there are exceptions) ask for permanent address and current address, if different. But if it only allows one option, then yes, one should choose the permanent address, not just to “prove” residency for state schools, but also for any snail mail from the college one is attending that may happen after the kid graduates.

"You want to have clear lines of communication with those AOs that visit so school address is a good choice for that reason. "

Plus the fact that key times in the college admissions game seem to align with long break periods at boarding school - during holidays, the 3 weeks off in March, for example.

Most of state universities have reasonably clear rules about in-state tuition AND in-state admission pool which might be different from each other. It would be a good idea to study your target university/district’s rules asap and clear all arising questions with the universities, preferably with emails.

Note that the rules may vary within the same state. For example, California’s UC system and CSU system may have different rules, which also differ from other in-state rules such as for tax or voting.

California’s UC Residency Rules
https://www.ucop.edu/residency/residency-requirements.html

So much for planning…
After stressing about when ds should take the Bio Subject test and first SAT, deciding, and registering, we are now moving everything around. DS doesn’t think he will do well enough on the bio subject test in Aug (though he got a 5 on the AP exam) and will now take the SAT in Aug. When will I learn to just wait and let him plan it out in the first place?? (Never? lol)

So the day finally came that I can enjoy being a passenger for my daughter’s driving.

Well done, Dad!

Congrats to @SculptorDad! My dd is not showing a lot of interest :frowning:

Aww @itcannotbetrue… How come!!? I’ve been spoiled rotten this summer: GoatKid chauffeurs me to/from work and brings home free meals from the mom-and-pop storefront kitchen where she’s been working this summer.

Good for you @SculptorDad ! It’s been quite a few years now and I still rarely “enjoy” being a passenger when DS is driving. @itcannotbetrue , DS had severally friends in that camp.

Hypothetically, if your rising junior suddenly (suddenly to you) wanted to submit college application a year early for Fall 2019, to one school that offers decent acceptance chance and merit scholarship for her academic profile, how would you take it?

@SculptorDad Does this hypothetical school offer ED/EA and is affordable? If so, your hypothetical DD should go for it. If it’s only RD, then absolutely not unless the admission chances approaches 100%. Otherwise, what happens if the “decent acceptance chance” or merit money does not come through?

@skieurope, admission is rolling and has already started. it has published merit scholarship formula based on GPA/Test score that DD can max. If it doesn’t work, then she can stay until senior year instead of graduating early. Her BS has a precedence like that we know. While she prefers to move on, her BS is still a wonderful place to spend another year if necessary.

Thanks for your insight!

@SculptorDad Sorry, I totally misunderstood the question; I did not catch that it was for her graduating early. In which case, I would probably say you and she think long and hard about that one. Graduating HS early and starting college a year early requires a certain level of maturity that I’m not sure your internet buddies are best able to answer for you.

What’s the hurry?

@SculptorDad - I know someone who did this a few years ago (went to college from 11th grade from BS).

Has your D spoken to college counseling yet? Or her teachers for letters of recommendation? She will need transcripts/college counselor forms sent from the school. She must have taken appropriate standardized tests for you to consider this, so if everything is in place and you and she feel she is ready then certainly worth exploring. As you probably know, she should apply soon - rolling and merit often offer an advantage to early applicants.