BS Class of 2020 Thread

@RuralAmerica I have been in your shoes and you are just a normal mom, no worries. This happened to BOTH of my DDs while they were at BS and it truly sucks. Both rebounded relatively unscathed (academically anyway) Fingers crossed for your daughter and all the kids (mine included) taking SATs tomorrow or heading into finals.

A mom will always worry about her kids. You are a normal mom. My daughter also went through some things also but it amazed me how she kept continued to rise to the occasion even though she was going through some emotional rollercoasters. My daughter is taking her 2nd SAT today also. She took the ACT last month and will take the Subject tests in early June when she comes home. She wants to get the testing over with because she is planning on a pretty full load for senior year. I’m just going with her plan. Good luck to all of your children who are testing today.

Well my DD slept through the first 10 minutes of her SAT and when they asked her if she wanted to take it later today or go to her softball game, guess which one she picked!! Lord, this time next year can’t come soon enough!

I’m so much with you, @chemmchimney! My DD is up to her eyeballs in schoolwork, club sport (championship was today), and Subject Test Prep so she didn’t even show up yesterday! She’ll have to take it in August. So much for all my planning.

DD just received confirmation today that she will be a hall prefect next year! She’s super excited that she was picked!

@RuralAmerica --Prefect here, too! Makes me happy to see them soar :blush:

That early September ACT date worked great for us (the new July date was not offered in her home state). It was really perfect timing! First weekend of school, all of August to cram for it. . . not a lot going activity-wise, de-stressed from the Summer, no burn-out. I had my doubts, but DD was right (seems like that is happening more and more these days, haha). On a side note, we used an online tutor, and she took (gulp) 21 full-length practice tests in between her five sessions of tutoring during the month of August. Yes, 21!!!

Congrats to your kiddo @itcannotbetrue

Congrats to the new prefects!

Same, DD will be a proctor next year in the freshman dorm. I tried as I might to have DD practice over the summer for the September ACT to no avail. It was a rude awaking for her and she then had to study during school. Happily, she nailed the November one. But it was likely a very stressful few months when she could have been a one and done.

Chimneykid2 was a prefect and a residential advisor this year. Next year she will also be her school’s first student TA! Helping teach an entry level art class.

@chemmchimney --So cool! She will be a TA at college?

On a college note, need advice for scheduling THE BIG SOUTHERN COLLEGE TOUR this Summer. Yikes, in August!!
As college tours in NE in March turn kiddos off, so do Southern tours in August. All a ploy to get her back West :wink:

Need-boarding-school+private-college-tuition-paying inexpensive places to stay near Duke, UVA, DC. LOL, we are Hilton points people if that helps. Also, thoughts on going South-to-North or North-to-South? We will probably look at two schools in DC.

@itcannotbetrue She will be a TA at her BS next fall in place of one academic class and will do a Gap program for 2nd semester senior year and graduate officially with the other 2020s in May

@itcannotbetrue I visit DC often for work and because our daughter attends GT. I to am a Hilton girl. I often stay at the Homewood suites or Hampton inn both in the Navy Yards or Hilton Garden Reagan airport. Both are new and easy to get around from. Once in awhile, I will stay at the Marriott Key bridge as they have excellent deals and it is very close to GT. Also Homewood suites Arlington or Capitol Hilton are all good choices. Pm me if you want more details depending on the schools you plan to visit- I might recommend different properties.

We’ve heard great things about Rhodes College in Memphis. Strong liberal arts and great medical school placements, if you’re looking to add to your list.

@itcannotbetrue there are Hilton’s in Durham closer to Duke. Raleigh is also an option as it’s only a 30 minute drive from Durham. Durham is an interesting area and they’ve really been working on making the city more visible and desirable. There are a lot of great places to eat there, and I do think it’s good to get a feel for the area that Duke is in.

Thanks, everyone for your posts or messages! It is much appreciated, and I am sure we’ll have further questions going forward. Good to know there are plenty of hotel (points!!) options on our double-private school-tuition diminished disposable income (which leads me to demonstrated interest, which just really SHOULD NOT be a factor in college admissions–but that’s clearly another topic for another time).

On a side note, ALL pop-up ads are currently HILTON for me now on CC. LOL :smile:

@chemmchimney --that is very cool!

While touring colleges with Chimneykid1 were able to find 1-way discounted flights from DC to ATL, Atl to NO for around $60 per person just fyi. Maybe we were the only ones crazy enough to tour Tulane in August! Lord it was hot.

DD ended up at Emory starting at the Oxford campus. Oxford/Emory is a smaller LAC like campus 40 miles from ATL with discussion based classes and a very experiential vibe similar to BS. Kids move automatically to the larger Emory campus in ATL as juniors. This may be another good choice for pre-med in the South for kids who also love humanities and want to do research early on. Not for the kid who is looking for tons of parties etc though - great kids there! but its a pretty quiet campus)