BS Class of 2020 Thread

There are some programs that are based on age not grade level
…some are work-study… FWIW The Greek Summer Program is based on ages 15-18 with minimum of completion of Freshman year (study, work, community service). Godsons both did this program. The Wake Forest Leadership program (free or subsidized for some depending on your grades, stats, rec’s) starts after 10th. Boston Univeristy’s Program & NYU has programs for high school students - with many options . Harvard has a pre-med Summer immersion program for rising juniors and seniors (Kiddo’s bestie is doing this). Northwestern’s School of Journalism has the famous “Cherub” Program for rising Seniors- you must apply and its highly competitive. I am a proud Cherub alumni and found this program to be the best preparation for the pace of college writing. Great training in journalism and it attracts type A++ students that are as goal oriented as the parents on CC?. Long after college, skills and habits developed as a Cherub are still with me. Why do you think my CC poems are so funny??

Lots of colleges have great pay-for-play programs, but they are pricey.

If you can afford them, they are WONDERFUL learning opportunities. And some offer generous FA.

The caveat (for those to whom it might matter): College admissions staff don’t give them as much weight as the free/subsidized programs that attract more (and more varied) applicants.

FWIW the Wake Forest summer launch for leadership program offers full scholarships for students who are invited - -the ones invited based on their test scores, grades, and school nomination. The focus is on social justice. The graduates of this program are viewed very favorably from college admissions and have strong numbers for collegiate scholarships. For some people (cough) on this thread it may not be in their “wheel house” because it’s in the South. It’s not a puffy rich kid program via Richard Singer - oh, wait, that’s the guy from California! ?

@Golfgr8 According to their website, the Wake Forest program is free, but it is only for juniors in NC and it is a 9 month program that includes the summer…

Like I wrote earlier, the bulk of the competitive and free programs seem aimed at juniors.

https://collegelaunch.wfu.edu/about/

@CaliMex - which of the “competitive but free” programs you’re finding look the most interesting?

Bank of America Student Leaders, TASP, MITES, SAMS, RSI…

Seems like many parents on CC are ok with SAT scoring as long as their kid gets the advantage. As the low income kid from a very poor SES several decades ago, I would not have have wanted an “advantage” to get into college. My scores were all in line with other applicants. FA, yes please. But dumbing down someone’s SAT scores so I could have slipped in, no thank you. I guess I am old school. I think they made the SAT far too easy.

I definitely think the SAT/College Board is going to take a hit. It is VERY well known that the highest ranking students indeed are demographically wealthier. So where will the schools go to get high stats full pay kids? Perhaps those kids will be smart apply without sending the scores ( this is possible at many schools) and send the schools and the “adversity” score when they are accepted. And many will flock to the ACT. We are a high income family with kids in private school. Why would my kids take a test where they are going to get dinged on every measure?

The Summer programs are expensive. I know many parents who work extra, buy less and make sacrifices so their kids can go. Most also have scholarships for low income students. Though frankly, I believe most kids who apply are those who are in the know ( CC types) and so are disproportionately higher income. There are just a tiny number of free programs ( mostly very high level) versus moderate to good programs with high price tags. There are also many local programs that seems great. You just have to dig and apply early.

You also have to weigh how many of these programs matter. How many programs is enough? Should a kid be doing 1 program per Summer, 2 or just one for the entire 4 years. No easy answer. But I still think what’s most important is do the activities tell a coherent story or are they just curated kids who have checked every box?

There are some amazing programs out there and then again just being a lifeguard or doing a Summer job is also good life experience.

Agreed, @Happytimes2001 … at our college weekend, the visiting adcomms were all in agreement about getting a summer job. Question posed by a parent in the session was, “What kind of programs should our kid be doing the summer?”. Response was, “Get a job! Scooping ice cream maybe?”

What they all agreed to was not paying a lot for summer programs that showed a clear entitlement—such as paying to volunteer in a developing country over the summer.

There are different programs at Wake Forest so the one our friend from CA linked was one that was a 9 month program. The summer leadership institute we are personally familiar with was totally covered by a scholarship for a smart and deserving 10th grade student (entering Junior year) from a different state (not from NC). There are scholarships available at different programs but some are not publicized except to educators who nominate candidates.

My kiddo has been offered a full scholarship for a work-study summer program (at least age 15) overseas for top academic students who also meet the program’s mission of diversity and cultural heritage. Contrary to what some may think on CC, not all summer programs are for spoiled rich kids. It is competitive, low cost or free for those who meet the requirements/need/language. However, it is not for the faint of heart and requires manual labor most of the day. There are also leadership programs at wilderness camps up north - specific areas of experience necessary (portage, shooting, first aid). If you are interested in a tough wilderness program for rising juniors and seniors at low cost or for low wages, feel free to contact me.

Also if you are bilingual/or fluent in French, Spanish, German, Mandarin and are interested in having your high school student work at a camp, there are some paid opportunities for rising Seniors at Concordia Language Villages camp. Low wages, but room and board are covered.

For those parents who seek a no-frills experience that is free or very low cost that will include learning about the world from a new perspective, there are several faith-based organizations that offer summer volunteer experiences. Think out of the box!

The summer is the only time we get to see our daughter for a bit longer than a week at a time, so we’re not looking at away programs. I feel that nine months of BS is enough “away” time for me… :slight_smile: She is doing a 6-week summer research internship at my institution. It doesn’t pay, but it doesn’t cost either.

This summer (and I hope all four summers) kiddo is going to be a jr. coach for the neighborhood summer swim team. It is like being a camp counselor, without having to go anywhere. He grew up spending his summer at the pool, looking up to the kids who coached. That he gets to be one of those big kids he looked up to when he was 5 is super cool to him. It pays enough for him to have “walking around money”, and he gets a nice shirt out of the deal. He can walk to work. The people are like extended family to him. It feels like a very “old school”, wholesome, fun way for a teenager to spend a summer. I couldn’t be happier about it, especially since it will connect him back with his local friends.

Glad to hear college AOs would approve. :slight_smile: I haven’t even looked at summer academic programs, and for me the OCD internet researcher, that is saying something. The pool is almost sacred ground to him, and I wouldn’t even think of suggesting he do something else.

My kiddo has gone to the same summer camp for the past five summers. This summer will be her last summer there and she was awarded a spot as a Camper In Leadership Training. She’s 17 and hasn’t held a job between her time at BS and camp, but she’ll have had internships and held leadership positions. At times I wish she’d had the opportunity to have a job, but hopefully AO’s will see the good as to why she hasn’t yet!

@GoatMama —that’s what our DD is doing as well! Also unpaid :neutral:

@golfergr8 —I think the Adcomms at our college wknd presentation were referring to non-competitive pay-to-play summer programs, not those that are a competitive application process.

@itcannotbetrue and @GoatMama - DS is also doing an unpaid research internship. At least they will be paid in experience. :wink:

Perhaps we should start a new thread on this topic for the prep school board with updated & relevant information on summer internships, summer abroad programs, summer leadership programs and summer pre-college programs. I am looking forward to hearing about your students’ experiences this summer. Do you think we have enough new material for a dedicated thread on this topic?

@Golfgr8 I love that idea!

Since DD was at school I assisted (because of deadlines) her with applying for a summer job with the City that we reside in @ $11 per hour. Well she decided that she did not want to ‘file, answer phones and copy’ in city offices this summer so she applied at Party City and got a job @ $9 per hour. Am I wrong to feel some way about this? When the city called her she told them that she accepted another job. I found this out after the fact. OK, so I know that she showed initiative in seeking out, applying and securing her own job. I should be proud right? Not at all knocking the job at Party City but part of me will probably have a few chuckles when she is working weekends and closings, complaining about being on her feet all day and whining about not being able to hang out with her friends when she could have done a 9pm-5pm, M-F. Of course looking at the bigger picture, I was looking at how this job will reflect on her resume vs Perhaps a City Government Office perhaps the Mayor’s Office. It is what it is.

@sarrip. That kind of job can be great on an application. Talk about learning how to deal with people!

But I get it . You aren’t wrong, and you’ll have your moments of glee, for sure.

I have a version of your kid. Older, different gender, but doing it his way.

@gardenstategal - thanks for the encouragement. Yes they are all different, DD is my 3rd and there is 11 years between her and my son, 14 years between DD and her sister. I was just taken by surprise, she is such an overachiever in her academics so maybe this is her way of taking a break. Oh, her first day was Saturday and the only time that she got to sit down was during her 30 minute break. Her feet were killing her :smiley:

Hello all. I am back to cc to help SculptorDaughter to research her college list! I hope all of you are having a fantastic time with your kids. Mine is doing what she would like the most as an introvert, rather than what would look best on her application - solitary working on her art portfolio and Coursera course related to her intended major - Astrophysics. No job, volunteering, or special Summer program.

NOTE: She finished polishing her famed (at her BS) AP Chem note. She is willing to send a copy to my fellow BS Parents whose kids are taking it next year.