BS Class of 2020 Thread

Grier sort of requires no AP for English until senior year. But for other subjects, it seems AP courses offer both challenge and interest. Daughter’s apes and Ap micro seem to be covering interesting topics and not teaching for the test. Next year, she plans to take more Ap courses - calc ab, macro, chem and us gov.

@doschicos (re #9 - the “zero test prep” strategy)
Wow; have to give you props for going with that strategy. Gutsy.

But, looking back on it now, I don’t regret for a minute taking the exact opposite strategy. Every investment I made in test prep yield a large, positive return. Had I taken the opposite strategy, I think the outcome would have been very different for kiddo. In general, I think that relying on excellent classroom instruction + smart kiddo is a high variance strategy. In my case, test prep increased the mean scores and reduced the variance of outcome at the same time. ymmv.

Not too gutsy, @RustyTrowel, given my family’s values. Yes, my family’s mileage did vary. But they had a great education at a great institution and had interests and stories they could tell from experiences outside the classroom. We invested in BS education to get out kids an education not prepare for college per se. They are going to college to get an education not to prepare for a job, per se. They took advantage of summers to do interesting stuff aligned with their interests. They took gap years to get some varied experience. We don’t value prestige as much as life experience. We try to minimize stress and maximize curiosity, fun, and adventure. Different paths, different outcomes. Both are doing fine, both are their own people, both will find their paths with bumps in the road like everyone else. Neither is attending an Ivy league school.

I ask you, had you not put the time and money into test prep, would that have really changed your life greatly? My guess is you still would have gone to college. What else could you have done with that time and money? Perhaps you find more enjoyment in that pursuit than my own children.

I’m not saying it is the right way for everyone. Just providing a contrasting approach and viewpoint.

“I ask you, had you not put the time and money into test prep, would that have really changed your life greatly?”

Well, I know the answer to this question @doschicos.

For me, back in the day, test prep had no effect on any outcome. That’s because, I didn’t do any test prep. I just showed up on test day, took the tests, and then went home and got some real work done in the afternoon (like mowing a very large lawn). I was accepted to several fine colleges, and it all worked out.

But I think the world has changed since then. Now, admissions has turned into a fetid swamp, a swamp that all kids must ford on their way to college. So, what to do? I built a raft for my kiddo. And the kiddo crossed the swamp in the raft. There were two key outcomes: (1) schools that she sought to attend were brought within reach, and (2) a large amount of merit money materialized. So, it turns out that the cost of the materials to build the raft were free (on a net present value basis). As for the investment of time? A sunk cost.

“large amount of merit money materialized”
Glad it worked according to your plan and for your family. Mine were offered merit as well at those schools to which they applied that offer merit and not just need based aid. There are different roads to take. Some of us choose to skirt around the swamp instead of build a raft to ford across. A less traveled path but we get there all the same. :slight_smile:

We didn’t know we weren’t “back in the day” when our son applied to BS. Had no idea tests could be studied for or that the SSAT could be taken multiple times as that certainly wasn’t the case when Nixon was president. We told kiddo what we were told, “Get a good night’s rest, eat a good breakfast, and take multiple #2 pencils in case one breaks.” That’s it. He did fine.

I didn’t know I was supposed to worry about anything until I found CC, thankfully after M10. :slight_smile:

BTW, he followed the same strategy for SAT/ACT.

This! =))

As an example, I am personally thankful that the issue of the age of the applicant having an impact on admissions wasn’t a thing on the forum last cycle because that would’ve been just one more thing for me to stress about given that the kid was still 13 on M10. Kid got in and apparently that didn’t matter.

Sometimes ignorance IS bliss!!!

But, while we’re on it, and since I can’t unsee it, will this be an issue for college admissions? Do we need to be seriously thinking about a gap or PG year?

So much for bliss.

Even though I am not ChoatieKid, my experience mirrors his. My parents and I did not know how much we did not know. Fortunately, I joined College Confidential long after M10.

Ditto. It all worked out. :wink:

“I am personally thankful that the issue of the age of the applicant having an impact on admissions wasn’t a thing on the forum last cycle because that would’ve been just one more thing for me to stress about given that the kid was still 13 on M10. Kid got in and apparently that didn’t matter.”

Same here. I didn’t read that thread but for the record, I don’t think it is a thing. Both my 2 were 13 on M10.

“But, while we’re on it, and since I can’t unsee it, will this be an issue for college admissions? Do we need to be seriously thinking about a gap or PG year?”

Nope. Not at all. :slight_smile:

Only do a gap year if your kids want to do something else for a year but mine did it post college application cycle anyway not to gain any perceived edge.

Thanks @doschicos . Your way sounds way cool: “We try to minimize stress and maximize curiosity, fun, and adventure.” I’m trying to ease up, and I like to think I’m getting a little bit better with age and experience. :-S

And I hear you @skieurope, but you and ChoatieKid, from what I gather, are way beyond mere mortals.

I’m guessing both @ChoatieMom and SkiMom will have anecdotes to prove you wrong. :slight_smile:

Oh, I have ‘em all right, and if all my sharing here has made anyone think that ChoatieKid is beyond mortal, I’m not telling those stories right. He joined the MILITARY for cripes’ sake!

I’m probably a little too smug that my own test prep - same as @ChoatieMom’s - produced better scores than my children’s expensive (school-provided) prep courses. (My brain is not what it once was, so I have to gloat over past successes, rather like the way my mother used to have to tell her children how beautiful she once was…before she had us, is what she meant!) :slight_smile:

I just found the “Parents of the HS Class of 2020” thread on the other side of the forum (the great big scary wide-open side)… that one was created 12-10-2015 @GoatMama ! See, we’re not really so overly-anxious after all. If you’re interested they have 658(!) posts at last look: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/class-20xx-community/1839538-parents-of-the-hs-class-of-2020.html#latest

We BS folk seem really quite chill in comparison. Perhaps that goes along with being able to let our little ones go away at such a tender age?

On another note @GoatMama has GoatKid registered with the NCAA yet? If not, when were you thinking that would happen?

“We BS folk seem really quite chill in comparison.”

Might be due to a needed recovery period from BS applications. :wink: :smiley:

^^^ indeed!

@Apple, she has created her NCAA profile page but not her certification account yet. She also has a BeRecruited account and NCSA account. She did a college showcase in Hartford a week ago, and will do another one in Boston next month. She is getting some email traffic from college coaches, but I think it’s too early to tell yet. She is very talented and is getting noticed, but she also is very prone to injury. She already has severe bursitis in her knees and elbows because of impact, and a 2-year-old stress fracture in her back. Not good at 15.

Lordy, Apple! Had a peek at that other thread and left in a hurry. It gives me tachycardia. I prefer our BS cocoon.

@AppleNotFar --yes, a few months back I wandered into that big 'ol forum (or shall we say swamp?) on the other side as well and sailed right back here as soon as my raft arrived :wink:

Not sure where to ask this - and def not going to “the other side”! But has anyone here applied to BS with PSAT scores? DD applying to hidden gem type schools with PSAT instead of SSAT. She will be a repeat sophomore but she has not taken any sophomore classes yet (had a break in her schooling last year). Her PSAT scores were decent considering she had zero prep and it was her first test of the SAT type, but I am at a bit of a loss to know what a good PSAT score is for BS? For mortals mind you! Not applying to any HADES.