BS Class of 2020 Thread

@chemmchimney - congratulations and congratulations!!!

Big congrats to both your kids, @chemmchimney!

Congratulations ??? to chimneykid and @chemmchimney !!! Selling a sculpture, especially virtually, is BIG! Fingers crossed W&L is open in the Fall.

I’m so happy for my CC mentor families ??

Congrats to the @chemmchimney family!

Double congrats, @chemmchimney !

Hi all. It has been a while. Checking in on the 2020 grads. My son was accepted to Oberlin, Brandeis, Dennison, Wooster, Fordham and Lafayette and others. He has decided to attend Haverford. So happy for all of the 2020 grads despite the loss of all of their senior events.

Welcome back and congrats to your son, @queenmother, on a fine choice.

While I won’t rule out the occasional visit to the forum, with today’s Hotchkiss graduation comes the end of my active status as the parent of a current boarding school student so I want to thank everyone who has contributed over the last 8 or so years that I’ve haunted this place. I’ll likely check in once in a while on my kids’ college forums (Lafayette, Tulane, Wake Forest) so PM me with any questions about Kent (I’m ’82 and my oldest is ’17) or Hotchkiss (son ’19, daughter ’20) and I’ll offer any insight that I might have. I think that we all appreciate how difficult this time is for our graduating seniors. I would like to extend my congratulations to all of them and to the parents and guardians who helped them see it through.

Congrats to everyone!!

@queenmother Congrats to your “prince”!,

@Temperantia - congrats to you and your student’s graduation!! Thank you for the insights, support, and advice you have shared with all of us!

Congrats to everyone! Not having a graduation ceremony is far less than ideal, but hopefully everyone’s kids are getting excited about the next step!

Love seeing where everyone is off to, especially since I “met” so many of you when you were applying to BS! Congrats on a great 4 years and wishing everyone the best at college. Exciting times, even locked up!

I tuned into George School’s virtual graduation to watch a friend’s D. It was really beautifully done. I’m guessing that when they go back to regular commencement, there will be some elements of their virtual graduation that folks will want to incorporate into it. Of course, in person would have been better, but it still felt right. (Better than DS’ college commencement!)

Congrats to @queenmother and @Temperantia !

Good to hear more admission news. Congratulation to everyone!

Resurrecting the thread . . .(did it contract Covid 19?). . . things have been “Fluid” here, to say the least.

Penn was going back for Hybrid (end of June), then back for pure online (end of July), NOW not back at all (Aug 10). Poor DD told her work she was leaving in August, then told them she was not, then told them she was (polled her friends, consensus was “Go Back!”), then just yesterday had to tell them she was, indeed, staying. . . :neutral:

sigh

How has everyone else’s Fall College plans worked out?

@itcannotbetrue the back and forth has been the hardest part through this summer honestly. So, is your DD home and taking online courses this semester?

We’ve been very lucky. My DD decided on a very small private school (2,100 students) and they focused mainly on bringing freshman to campus for the Fall semester. All singles and double rooms are occupied as singles and all triple or quad rooms are doubles. She left this Sunday for their two week campus quarantine period prior to classes starting. The majority of her classes are being taught virtually. Two have the option of an in-person component once a week.

Currently, their orientation is all virtual and this Saturday they’re having one or two options to attend, outdoors, masked, and socially distant. They were all tested within 48 hours of arrival and will be agin in one week and every week for the remainder of the semester. They have very specific rules for their dorm houses, visitors, common areas, etc…

We have 2 2020 kids - one hs grad and one college grad. Darrow daughter has deferred her college (which is across the country but is having kids come to campus)for a year and has signed up for 2 community college classes here at home (one virtual and one art class in person) She thinks all the kids will be sent home before Thanksgiving and she may be right but I still kind of wished she had gone. I feel like there are connections being formed with her classmates and she is missing out. There is nothing happening at home worth sticking around for really and being a 20 year old freshman is not ideal for her.

Our Emory grad got a job in March in Boston and sublet an apt and then left that apt because a roommate was unstable and being unsafe. She is now with her bf at his family farm. She has been working remotely and has yet to meet a coworker in person.

Noone is in their expected spots -it’s hard and judging by Emory’s parents page the freshman who just arrived there are struggling with the isolation- seems they haven’t done a good job of giving kids safe options to socialize. NYU’s quarantine food delivery has also been a disaster. Would love to hear about schools who are getting this right!

Our school is doing grab and go rather than room delivery. The students can choose to take it back to their rooms or eat outside and stay socially distanced. They’ve been there a week now and my daughter has told me that she has not seen a single person on-campus not following the rules. Everyone is wearing masks and everyone is positive and encouraging about it.

Though orientation has been virtual, they’ve had some fun “extra” virtual get together me that have involved comedians, magicians, and did one as a game show. They have groups to play Jackbox games together, and Discord servers set up for their specific dorms. They have also set up painting events in the quad, as well as chalk drawing contests, and tonight they did a movie on a blow up screen outside. Small groups have also been getting together on dorm lawns to play music together or do icebreakers. Again, I realize that the size of her campus has a lot to do with them succeeding in this as well. It’s much easier on a small campus than it would be on a large campus. I feel it probably would be much more isolating on a large campus if you have to stay in your dorm much of the time.

@chemmchimney you hit the nail on the head as to why my daughter chose to go to campus…it was for the social connections. She went into it thinking that even if they get sent home prior to Thanksgiving she’ll have a cohort of friends and people in her major that she will have established connections with and hopefully that will make being online at home better. I hope your grad is at least able to connect well with co-workers online. Our company makes sure to have morning coffee Zoom meetings every so often, happy hours, etc… I’m sure it’s so hard for those that entered the work force this year to get settled properly in their careers from home.

My daughter was going to move in last weekend. But State of California blocked offline college just a week before the move in date. For her, college was much more than a degree. She was really missing dorm life. And taking the precious first year online was far less than ideal.

Fortunately, due to the sudden change of circumstance, her college allowed last minute gap year application. She is planning to spending majority of the year traveling Korea, and maybe other Southeastern Asian countries depends on Covid 19 development.