BS Class of 2020 Thread

Grab and go meals are standard but hot food may be available this week since classes started today. All dorms are singles. STEM classes tend to be zoom while humanities are f2f in tents. Fingers crossed that the bubble works like the success the NBA is currently having. Must have 3 negative covid tests before being allowed to attend classes in person. Otherwise, it’s distance learning. Pledges were signed and those who don’t follow are sent home and lose room & board payment.

Do you clean out your nest when your new college student leave your home? DD is taking a gap year in Korea and will visit home only for a week next fall before leaving again for college, and plans to intern every Summer. If you do, when do you box all the childhood stuffs?

As soon as the door closes on their backside. :wink:

Actually, we waited until our son moved out after college. He took every stick of furniture and all his boxes with him. Nothing remained. That space is now my she-shed, completely remodeled. :slight_smile:

ETA: His baby stuff and anything I wanted from his pre-BS years fit nicely into three plastic bins and have been on a closet shelf for years. He took everything from BS and college with him.

I have always envied my wife’s home office.

My home office is filled with DD’s stuff. It is her senior year of college but she is home, studying virtually. DS moved on campus last weekend. We are hoping we don’t need to move him back home in two weeks. Hopefully these kids do what they are supposed to do.

How are the 2020 kids doing? Is everyone back on campus? My son was on campus in the Fall and is again on campus now. All the dorms are singles - he may be the only kid who wishes he had a double. He misses having a roommate! Still, he has found a nice group of kids to socialize (safely) with. Now that the weather is warming up in St Louis, he is happy to go back outside and run around with friends. He seems to have given up XC and replaced it with the joys of Ultimate frisbee. And he has already totally changed the direction of his studies. I guess that is what freshman year is for.

2 Likes

My 2020 deferred a year and went on a gap semester program last winter to Nepal - and was promptly sent back home a month later. I’m proud of her though! She has moved into her own apartment with some local college students (We live in a college town) and landed several jobs cleaning and waitressing. She’s volunteering for a food bank, has a new girlfriend and is about the happiest I have seen her. I think college in the fall will be a bit of a shock but her college has promised to be all in person so off she goes come August. How are the other 2020s faring?

2 Likes

ds went to ac sight unseen. happy as heck to leave for campus once bubble was announced. had a single for 1st yr. this yr has a roommate. we finally visited for family weekend a couple of weeks ago. pretty new england fall season as opposed to always sunny and warm cali. flying is a hassle but what other choices are there going xcountry? after having no prom or freshman orientation, he’s now getting used to multiple formals on site so the social life is improving. as parents, not likely returning until graduation. he’s returning for post grad work to the best coast :wink:

1 Like