BS Class of 2022 Thread

@SculptorDad Thanks for the book tips. I definitely will check (love a bargain).
@garandman Tabor is a gorgeous campus. I drove by once and could not believe how idyllic it was. Your kids are both very lucky!

Hey everyone! Make sure to pack bed linen first. I had ordered new linen online and had forgotten to take them out of the boxes. Must go to Walmart since we are in town now. Tuesday is move in day. Car is loaded
The kids packed their own clothes but the thrill of it all gave us short term memory lost.(smile)

Just a tip about new sheets - be sure to run them through a wash cycle (or two or three) before putting them on the bed. Sheet manufacturers put so many chemicals in them these days that even high quality, new sheets can feel scratchy when they first come out of the package. Best way I’ve found to get rid of the sizing chemicals is to wash the sheets in pure baking soda and then adding vinegar to the rinse cycle. Then wash again with regular detergent.

1 Like

Yesterday was a joyous and calm day. My kiddos feel embraced by their school. Parents feel apart of the extended PA family. I did meet up with a CC parent on Sunday. Our kids are fast friends and they chatted away during dinner. Our daughters are in the same dorm. Small world we live in.

Glad to hear most everyone had a good move-in day! Ours was almost shockingly easy (except for the heat - ugh!) and we came away feeling like things were on the right track. DS likes his dorm faculty, likes his advisor, likes his roommate, had some nice conversations while waiting in various lines
all in all a good start.

Planning on buying portable clothes drying racks. There is really no place for
the kid to hang wet clothes in dorm room if you get caught in the rain.

^^^Our son found that doorknobs, floor, or even his bed worked fine for wet, dirty clothes. Or just wearing them until they dried. Hangers, hamper, not so much.

Friday was the first day of classes. Has anyone thought it important to buy a printer for their teens ? I am just doing a poll.

I thought that a printer would be nice. But the school has a easy access to printer and it really take a big space on the small dorm desk. So after her first year-end, dd gave it away instead of using storage or flying home with it, and never bought one again.

DS never missed a printer. Between ones available at school and ability to submit work electronically, it really wasn’t needed.

I doubt your child needs a printer. Much stuff is submitted electronically these days to be environmentally friendly. Also, at least at my kids’ school, there are printers in the dorm and in the library. Bonus: not having to shell out for paper and ink.

DC had one last year, is using it this year, and very much appreciates having it. It’s definitely not a necessity, but it’s nice to have when DC wants to print something but does not want to trudge through the rain or snow to another building to print. DC has printed for other kids in the dorm as well. I think it’s likely one or more kids in your child’s dorm will have one. A few kids in DC’s mid-size freshman dorm had one.

Really depends on your kids preferences. Some of our kids had one and some did not.

ChoatieKid brought/stored his printer all four years and appreciated the convenience. So did his dormmates. He didn’t mind sharing and made a lot of new friends with it. I agree, though, that a printer is not a necessity.

My daughter called for me to send more blankets. In New Jersey, the cold snap happens late October or early November. I am not familiar with New England weather as of yet . Thermal underwear will be on the must get list for this winter.

In my NE experience, most buildings are kept toasty enough that pants or jeans are more than adequate, particularly if the buildings you’re traveling to or from are close like those on BS campuses. For longer outdoor activities, synthetic base layers and water/windproof hiking type pants do the trick.

Girls maybe. Sons will be wearing shorts and flip-flops or boat shoes throughout the winter and racing between buildings without coats. Evidently, this puts hair on your chest.

@ChoatieMom,my son did not complain.Yes, I have hairs out of my chest now ! My daughter seeks more comfort.

I think it depends on the school and situation. My daughter’s dorm room is steps away from the common room printer, but most submissions have been electronic. I would wait until Visiting Day/Family Weekend or even Thanksgiving to decide whether or not to purchase a printer.

@Calimex, her twin brother just used the last of his money to purchase one for his room. His sister said she can manage by going to the library. I am saving more money just in case I have to purchase one for her during Family Weekend . My teens always tell me that they are busy studying whenever I call. I take this as a good sign.