BS Class of 2023 Thread

Yes, it will… but on the other hand, it’ll also be super exciting and fun too!

Alright, question. What is everyone planning for their dorm? I can’t figure out what to get at all!

Have your parents buy you a clothes drying fold up rack for your room. It had come in handy for wet towels when my kids came out of the shower. I know that most kids hang their towels on the door.

I made a spreadsheet of the packing list to see what we have, what we need, what we’ve ordered and what we’ve packed. It’s nice to plow through it (and thank God for Old Navy $6 Khaki sale and that DS can still fit into those sizes). The only issue we’ve had so far is that they noted that although most beds are twin XL, not ALL are. So, debating what to do about bedding. I think I’ll get 1 set of XL sheets to start (they can be tucked in at the bottom) and a comforter and then buy and bring down or send another set of sheets, a comforter cover and mattress pad once we get there and find out. DS is more than okay sleeping without a pad or cover for a week or two. In fact, I’m wondering if he’ll even bother to put them on once I send them.

When does everyone hear about roommates? DS finds out when he gets to campus.

On a rather random note, the Exeter class of 2023 now has a meme page!! I have no idea how the idea arose, but I think they win for best over summer bonding lol

why is it so hard to find andover ‘23 kids in this site?

This sounds fun! Where?

does anyone know if you can hang things on the wall using command hooks? i know the book technically says you can’t use anything other than wall putty but is this actually enforced?? in some pictures on the website there were command hooks and string lights being used to decorate

@ifhickgirl Where is this at and how can I be a part of it?

@ffsophiar I’m thinking either not that many people got acceptances on here or there was a large amount of students who chose Exeter over Andover (since there seem to be an abundance of Exeter '23 kids up in here).

@vwlizard that’s a great idea! I’ve been wanting to get organised about boarding, that’s such a good way to do it! Only problem is that my parents would probably be like “Why do you need all of these things?”
Sigh I think I’ll be doing things little by little.

also,

We Exonians find out mid to late August. I’m so excited to meet whoever they are, I can’t wait! Waiting until September would be such a slog!

Why is this thread so dead? Are most of the 2023’s kids and not parents here and therefore there’s not a lot of posting? I am wondering how all the other new freshmen are doing…

Hi @dogsmama1997! HopefulKid2 has enjoyed a great few first weeks. Her roommate is lovely and they are well matched. Since they don’t have any classes or activities together, they each have their own set of friends which has worked out beautifully. HK2 feels she is well placed in her classes and is looking forward to the year ahead.

@Hopeful0304 I am so glad to hear this! Mine had a great start that turned into a teary weekend and now seems to be on the upswing. Interesting how the social dynamics seem to swing wildly because the kids are so much left to their own devices in terms of how to be social. I see a lot of kids who are free from their parents for the first time in their lives really upping the not so nice parts of their social interaction. Kind of funny for a school that talks about character sooo much.

My daughter is doing well. She came in from a large public school; the work is significantly’ more rigorous at BS, but she seems to have a good bit of free time to get it all in. (She is also a day student and comes home to us at night, so may have less temptation to be socializing than kids in the dorm.) She hasn’t used her Netflix account since school started, that’s for sure. As far as the social piece, I feel like there’s a lot to figure out in terms of who they’re “people” are. My daughter has bounced between a few social groups and is generally happy enough doing so; I wouldn’t mind if things settled in, though. On the flip side, she seems to feel quite comfortable going places on her own, finding people to study or hang out with, etc. If there’s a social hierarchy that runs contrary to this (as there seemed to be at her middle school), she’s unaware of it.

DS is loving school. The second we met his roommate we knew it was a great match as he reminded us of a quieter version of DS. (The school prides itself on making the right matches and says they really have one that doesn’t work out). He likes all of his teachers and hates his study hall monitor (which sounds about right to me). He started a band within his first 48 hours there, figured everything out and started playing football (which he has never done before). Everything has been very seamless. Just holding on until they ramp up the academics (they take it easy the first few weeks as kids are adjusting) as he thinks his classes are too easy.

All and any of my doubts have been erased since coming here. I’ve been awed by the history, the classes are challenging and definitely an upgrade from LPS, the people here are so INCREDIBLE! There are no real distinctions between anyone on campus - everyone I’ve met is so nice and just accepts everyone for exactly who they are. I tried a new thing - theatre - and somehow made the cast, and that’s going excellently. I’m barely in my dorm unless I’m studying or sleeping (which might be a bad thing but could be a good thing too) and I’ve found it easy to make friends - even with uppers!

I’ve adapted to campus life so quickly it’s ridiculous, and my study habits and stuff have been getting so much better since coming here too. I manage to balance schoolwork, hanging out with friends, AND sleep most of the time, though that might change at some point.

In short - amazing.

Well, my DC isn’t much of a talker, but they seem to have settled into and become very comfortable with the Prep life at Exeter. By the end of the first week, they said they felt like they were “thriving.” They said the kids at Exeter were surprisingly nice. Overall, the atmosphere is just a kinder one. They feel like the teachers know their subjects better than they did in lps. They have really gotten into being a “plant parent.” (In fact, the entire dorm seems to be into parenting plants. Is that a craze these days?) My husband and I visited last weekend to do some shopping. Just 10 days into attending Exeter and my DC is nicer to their little sis. Fingers crossed, things continue on an uphill trajectory, and the winter snow doesn’t make my child ask “Why did I come here?!?!?!” LOL.

Glad to hear everyone is adjusting well!

@MariFeigh Dang, I at least know what dorm she’s in, just from that.

Actually, wait, I think I know who your daughter is… oh dang if she’s who I think she is we’re pretty good friends! There are like 3 prep boarders there (that I know of, there was a huge influx of day student affiliates), I’m good friends with all of them.

Small worlds, wow!

and no, the plants aren’t a huge thing, at least I don’t think so. But all the girls there like plants, so I think it might’ve been the year.