BS Class of 2027 Thread

Found the roommate and advisor… not class schedule yet for Choate. That’s a bummer.

We got most class assignments for Proctor back on June 2, but then final schedule with electives was available with teachers and classmates on August 1 (I think). Roommates/Advisors/Dorms available August 15.

1 Like

We got class schedule in late July, roommate last week and are supposed to get advisor and room/dorm assignment later this week. I guess each school has their own order of operations!

1 Like

You’re right! And there are things that can change over the summer. OftSome schools may want to make sure teachers and advisors really get their time off during the summer.

2 Likes

My kids school doesn’t release any information until much later in the summer. I’m sure it’s strategically planned to give kids a break from thinking about school (and give school administrators a break too).

Class schedule was released only last week.
Dorm assignment isn’t released until you physically check in at school on the first day!!

All freshmen are housed in the same dorm so every kid knows which dorm they’ll be in, but floors, house parents, and roomies are not given in advance. Apparently, a few years ago (pre covid) there was a flurry of activity with parents calling the school and trying to switch their kid’s roommates prior to the start of term because their kid had been stalking social media and decided that their assigned roomie wasn’t what they were hoping for! Argh.

1 Like

My only daughter is also a Choate '27 and we are in the same boat (early empty nesters). She doesn’t have snapchat but I suppose that won’t last for long so I am going to do what you suggested! Hope to meet you on Campus on the 4th. Good luck!

1 Like

Yes, we were surprised as she had been told mid-August but maybe for the best.

1 Like

Choate folks: Roommate/dorm assignments have been out for a few weeks, you just need to know how to search (parent portal/directory/students/choose a form). I also found DS’ advisor, who is lovely, and they gave me DS’ dorm adult/whatever they are called. See everyone next Monday!!

1 Like

Hi all
Leaving for lville in 2 days. Cannot believe it is time. Applications seem like a million years ago. We have schedules and class assignments, have zoomed with dorm and academic advisors , and are packed with the exception of a few stay items. I wanted to wish everyone an exception year. I imagine the kids are excited and a bit nervous. I hope they all succeed and find happiness in their new endeavors. And for all those new, early, empty nesters: May our hearts be full knowing what we have sacrificed to make our children’s dreams come true.

9 Likes

Congratulations to your child! Lville orientation is an absolute blast, they’ll have so much fun!

1 Like

We drive over on Monday to stay overnight close to campus. There is only about three hours to move into the dorm so we want to be sure to get there as early as they’ll let us Tuesday morning. I just moved my son into his college dorm and it took about 3-4 hours.

We still have a long list of things to get (but mostly small items like detergent, bug spray, notebooks, etc.).

Very exciting time for sure.

4 Likes

I’m guessing you have this thought out already, but for any parent(s) dropping off a child for the first time, make sure you leave some of the room unfinished. The first few nights can be a bit awkward and/or sad for new students, and it’s nice for the kids to have something “to do” (ie finish hanging up their clothes, or hanging posters on the wall). However much we want to make sure the room is completely set up before leaving, and to take that nice photo of their new dorm room, leaving them with a few things to do on their own will help them settle in to their new space. Best of luck to all of you and your kiddos! Hang in there, it’s difficult, but so worth it!

4 Likes

Great point! At my son’s drop off, there is not enough time allotted for parents to set up the room. I was nervous just basically dumping my son’s belongings in his room for him to sort out but he said that was their evening activity where they were all in their rooms unpacking while the dorm parent and prefects made their way around helping them unpack and it stimulated great discussion - “oh, are these your friend from home in this picture”, “I love this color shirt!” - “I didn’t think of putting my XX on the shelf but I like your idea”… I know it depends on the school but the level of support to transition was definitely there at my son’s school but it went completely unnoticed by the students… I guess after hundreds of years they have figured a few things out LOL

5 Likes

Yikes. I am feeling like a slacker mom here. As of yesterday, I have done 11 BS and college drop-offs over the years (plus an assortment of overnight camp drop-offs). I have been allowed to help unpack and set up exactly twice at the start of the academic year and maybe two or three times at camp. Last year as a college freshman, my oldest daughter deigned to accept my help unpacking and setting up her dorm room. I think it was a pity offer since she knew I was freaking out over the transition and she didn’t want to watch me cry. My son let me help when I dropped him off for his first year of boarding school (thank goodness, because I am not clear that he would have bothered to make his bed otherwise!) but not his second year.

For every other BS drop off, my kids have booted me off campus within ten or fifteen minutes of unloading the car. To be fair in 2020, when D24 started BS, parents weren’t allowed to linger in the dorm due to covid. Still my kids have mostly had no interest in my help and mostly seem anxious to get rid of me at drop off time though I know some homesick tears have been shed later in the week. I’ve never even been asked to help decorate a room.

4 Likes

Don’t worry, you’re not a slacker! My son’s camp does not allow parents to help unpack or make the beds, they do it together once they entire cabin has arrived. So, now I know my son knows how to do these things and I do not plan on helping him do much when we drop him off for the first time at his new BS next week!

3 Likes

In case it’s helpful to anyone, during drop off I always make the bed first. Then my kid has a place to sleep without needing to finish room setup. I sometimes help putting away clothes. But I do as little as possible and let them set up the desk and decorate by themselves. I’ve found that the schools know to keep the kids busy, so it’s not like they have a ton of free time before classes start. Also, I always tuck a letter under their pillow for them to find that night with thoughts and encouragement for the year ahead.

6 Likes

I always reminded DS that I knew he could do it all himself, from figuring out what to pack to putting it together in his new home, and that my involvement - at whatever level - was purely for my benefit so I could feel like I’d done what I could and expressed my care/love in that way. Graciously, he always repiled “I know, Mom.”

To all of you with first drop-offs and not first drop offs, hugs and strength. It’s always sad to say good-bye, even if it’s for such a wonderful, new adventure. My heart still cracks a bit at each farewell, and my kid is now an adult!

6 Likes

Good point. They spend the first night packing up for their backpacking trip and leave the following morning at 9 am after breakfast for a five-day orientation/backpacking excursion. Then, they arrive back, have a full-day academic orientation the following day, and classes start the day after. But, I will take your advice and leave some things undone so she can have some “finishing touches” to make the room feel like it’s hers and not something her mom put together. Although she doesn’t really have anything to put on the walls, so she is probably going to be going on one of the school Target runs pretty early on!

3 Likes

Thank you! lville drop-off was a success. The kids are off to a busy start with an amazing schedule to get them oriented with lots of fun. They were all so excited and busy with each other the barely cared that their parents were leaving.

3 Likes

It’s really the best. I’ve spent the past few days sitting through the boring horror that is college orientation, and I’ve seriously thought of trying to convince my group’s leaders to do some of the activities I was trained to run at Lawrenceville orientation :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes