BS/DO General Thread

Thank you for your reply. When you mentioned 3.5-4.0 GPA did you mean weighted or unweighted?

Awesome! Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your GPA and SAT?

We didnā€™t hear anything until now. In the email they mentioned results will come out from March 14-18. If we past today May be we need to consider we are not eligible :pensive::pensive:

I would say that you would need at least a 1550 to be competitive for the BS MD programs (if you are ORM). 1500 to 1550 score may get you an interview, but probably wonā€™t get you into the program (again, for an ORM).

And I do understand that there are exceptions (there are always exceptions). But, when your child is applying, you really have to evaluate - is my son/daughter ā€œexception-worthyā€? I know we all think our children are exceptional, but will they (the admissions committee) see it that way?

1 Like

For the people that are getting LECOM acceptances, does it say whether you are eligible for 3+4 or 4+4?

1 Like

My friends daughter got into LCOME program. It is not clear from their website at all. Do you know the matriculation rate to med school. They are debating between MSU and this one.

I am not sure about the matriculation rate/attrition rate for the LECOM program. Iā€™m not sure that thereā€™s really anyway to figure it out because there are so many feeder schools. The only people that would know are the Admission team at LECOM and they may still be collecting data since they changed the process recently.

My best suggestion would be to contact the affiliated UG school(s) that sheā€™s considering and ask their dual program coordinator how many students make it into the LECOM program

That being said - LECOM has a seat reserved for the student (they just have to meet the requirements)

MSU does not have a seat reserved - there is approx 90% acceptance rate. I have to assume that all applicants completed the requirements successfully, but maybe the interview is the issue. The best person to ask is the program director at MSU.

Thank you for the response!

1550+ for BSMDā€¦ What is your opinion on competitive SAT score for BSDO?

Based on many college confidential forums, basically everyone getting in had SAT scores between 1350 and 1500 with the average being about 1400.

Furthermore, a student at NYIT BS/DO said on a college confidential post that the target ACT score was about 31 and that corresponds to about a 1400.

Also, at the top of this thread a current NYIT BS/DO student posted that most of his peers at the program had 1300s and 1400s.

I meant weighted gpa.

1 Like

I based this based on other threads/posts on college confidential and what current students have told me.

The most common SAT scores are in the 1300s and 1400s (or a corresponding ACT Score).

The highest SAT score that I have seen on BS/DO threads/posts is a 1520.

You can also look at the top of this forum where a current NYIT BS/DO student shared their gpa, SAT score, and general advice.

1 Like

A 1500 SAT score is closer to the bs/md range than the bs/do range, and I donā€™t think there are any bs/do programs that have average scores that high.

For example, Brownā€™s PLME BA/MD programā€™s average SAT score is about 1510.

Based on what I have seen and heard, the people interested in combined medical programs with elite scores and GPAs (1500+ SAT score and 4.5+ GPA) tend to apply mostly to BS/MD programs.

The people interested in combined medical programs with lower scores and GPAs (1300-1500 SAT score and 3.5-4.5 GPA) tend to apply mostly to BS/DO programs.

So, the average BS/DO applicant has lower scores and GPAs as the average BS/MD applicant.

Also, many of the people applying to BS/DO programs with 1500+ SAT scores and very high GPAs do so as a back-up to BS/MD programs.

2 Likes

Based on many college confidential forums, basically everyone getting in had SAT scores between 1350 and 1500 with the average being about 1400.

Furthermore, a student at NYIT BS/DO said on a college confidential post that the target ACT score was about 31 and that corresponds to about a 1400.

Some informative threads about NYIT BS/DO

I know several students in the current cycle that were not shortlisted for established DO scores even with SAT of 1480 (1500+ were shortlisted), so it is getting quite competitive. BSDO programs are gaining popularity and the competition will continue to increase. Even applying to DO after premed is getting highly competitive. SAT/ACT score is just one of the factors in the process.

1 Like

Is this a common occurrence or is this an exception?

Everyone that I have seen with 1400+ SAT scores have gotten in.

Perhaps these applicants that you mention with 1500 SAT scores had red flags on their applications that led to them being shortlisted (such as bad essays, no extracurriculars, lack of commitment, etc)?

Thank you for your very detailed reply!

You are welcome.

Are you a junior or a sophomore?

Just curious because most of the people in this thread are seniors/have already gone into college.