BS foreseeable risk a thing going forward/Hotchkiss

I didn’t see any discussion about this… if this is a repeat thread please delete it and accept my apologies.
Has anyone heard about the $45M lawsuit against Hotchkiss Munn v. Hotchkiss School? Apparently, Hotchkiss lost in the 2nd circuit because of ‘foreseeable risk’. I think this case will be a cautionary warning for schools that they exercise due diligence in the care of students, which includes a duty to assess and take actions to avoid foreseeable risks, in order to avoid liability for injuries that may occur. Foreseeable risk is now a thing I guess. Here’s an article: $41.5M verdict for student who fell ill on school trip to China has implications for study abroad

1 Like

This case is several years old - the initial incident was in 2007 and the suit was settled in 2017. It is my understanding, that after this lawsuit, on the advice of school lawyers, most schools drastically revised their permission slip language for all off campus trips, even for day trips within the US not just trips abroad, so that they are all now protected against similar lawsuits.

3 Likes