BS grade deflation

valedictorian at a local public school (top 20 in new york) did not get into UMich(Ann Arbor) so this exactly.

1 Like

Until they all start publishing college results excluding unhooked kids (hat tip to Harvard-Westlake, which is the only school I know that does this!), almost all of the college matriculation data is misleading.

8 Likes

That is just yield protection :-). If the Valedictorian from Exeter applies to UMich, she will also be rejected.

1 Like

Do they still do this? I remember seeing the report dated 2019 but no newer ones.

Conclusion was that the boost was modest for unhooked compared with the admission rate published by the colleges.

Just UMich or any top 20?

It’s case by case. Hard to tell without much information. But if this happens at many good schools then it’s probably valid. I doubt it though.

1 Like

They EA….and ED if it was available. It was their first choice. We have had many instances of this in my area since we are overrepresented(affluent NYC suburbs w a very high asian and white population).

I would be very surprised if they were rejected on ED. Deferrals on EA are fair game. You need to write a love letter again.

1 Like

Yep, they still do:

Unfortunately, no one else provides this level of transparency, so difficult to compare.

1 Like

Thanks.

I remember in early years they also included the list for the entire student body. It was eye opening to see the difference.

Many T20s. UNC, Duke, etc. We’ve had many valedictorians go to NYU because they got rejected from all the T20s they applied to, since they were assured they’d get in.

My LPS is ranked 15-20 in MA. Every year there are quite a few kids going to ivies and more to T20.

Yup! got it all covered. Only in one club though, because it’s FRC and I have no time for anything else since I also do girl scouts and am a 3 season varsity athlete. I’m not applying to Ivies, more small LACs.

1 Like

I don’t want a pressure cooker, and I’m also on the spectrum and I feel I need a school with more supports.

My account has a thread on this.

You never know, though. The valedictorian at our local HS (MA) always goes to an Ivy (or MIT) - last year’s val got into both Harvard and MIT. We also send another 5-10 kids to an Ivy (and another handful to other T20). It is definitely worth throwing your hat in the ring - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

2 Likes

Brown is the only Ivy on my list atm.

1 Like

I would apply to all the Ivys if I wanted to go to one…I just don’t. I want to be at a college where I’m not the middle 50 or below. I don’t need to be the crazy genius, but I would like to graduate with a 3.8+

3 Likes