BS/MD Results - Class of 2020

GPA: 4.0 UW

SAT: 1570
Math 2: 800
Chem: 800
Biology: 800

AP’s : Psychology, Statistics, Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, U.S. History, Spanish, Calc BC, Human Geo, World History, Government, Art History

Teacher / Counselor Recommendations: I think they were good, not really sure.

State: TX

Medical ECs:

• Hospital Volunteering
  • Research at local university for one summer
  • Shadowing in 2 specialties

Other ECs:

• Swimming

Applied to the following BS/MD Programs:
Brown - Rejected
Baylor/Baylor - Accepted
TTU UMSI - Accepted
Tulsa - Accepted
Rice/Baylor - Rejected
UAB EMSAP - Rejected
OU - Interview - Rejected
A&M - Interview - Rejected
Case Western - Rejected

Decision: Baylor/Baylor

No medical school has a preference for their own undergrad especially in the name of diversity. All that matters is stats. The only exception is that Texas medical schools prefer texas UG.

Yeah, students should just apply to as many as they can do, then make the decisions later. But, they should also make sure they have some schools in the mix that they can for sure go to.

No matter how amazing the resume is, there is always a chance at BSMD rejection which has been shown by many students.

1 Like

@BSMD mom
@Kurnool
Can you please PM the Consultants Name. My D is Senoir and needs some help with BSMD process.

@BaylorBSMD - Congratulations!!! Wish you the very best.

All private med schools such as JHU, UPenn, Duke have special consideration for their students and alumni. For example JHU takes about 2 dozen of their current and former students each batch. No doubt these folks have to be good, at least at summa cum laude level of their school, but compared to others applying from outside have a clear advantage. They can for example still get in to their affiliated med school with say a 0.15 gpa points and 2-4 MCAT points lower compared to someone applying from outside. Also in comparison to the 20 odd students selected from their own students, the number of folks selected from outside is usually capped at 1-2 per outside institution, 3-4 if they are from really fancy place and the cream of that crop there.

Folks

Those who want to reach out to handles with a space between their names, you need to use " "
For example - @ " BSMD mom " - I have added space between the " " but you write without the space - @“BSMD mom”

@new2020 and @ksmed1 please ckeck you inbox I DM you.
@ksmed1 sorry for delay response as I am not checking CC regularly and as @NoviceDad mentioned if you do not tag my handle correctly I can not tell that you have mentioned me in post.
Good Luck to all applying this Fall.

HI everyone, can someone please tell me about the application process for BSMD, because I do not know a lot about it.

Hi! Does anyone have a list of “easiest” BSMD programs to get into? Bc I only want to apply to a few; if I don’t get in, I’m also fine with just undergrad. Thank you so much!!

@Superstar678
You should spend a good chunk of hours pouring through the forums here.

@worryingabtcollege
There isn’t an easy one. There is no safety BSMD. They are all incredibly competitive and difficulty with super low one digit acceptances for the most part.

That mainly depends on which state you live in because in-state programs will usually be the easiest. These type of programs will give bigger preference for in-state students. All public school bsmd programs in Texas are restricted to only Texas students, so if you live in texas most public school programs would be “easier” than something like Rice/Baylor.

You are better off asking questions in this forum -
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/2188053/official-thread-for-bsmd-2020-2021-applicants/

Please ask questions in this forum
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/2188053/official-thread-for-bsmd-2020-2021-applicants/

Final GPA Weighted: 4.68 (At the time of applying 4.61)
Final GPA Unweighted: 3.95 (At the time of applying 3.90)
Class rank: 1/400
SAT: 1540
ACT: 35
SAT Math-2: 800

SAT Biology-E:750
AP: 14 ( Physics, Chem, Biology, CALC BC, CALC AB, Statistics, Comp Sc-Prin, Comp Sc-A, Psychology, Seminar, English Lit, English Lang, US Govt, World History)
College Course: 1 (Math)
Honors courses: 5

Extra curricular: Band (950 hours)
9 other various extra-curriculars: 1000 hours roughly
Hospital Volunteer work: 160 hours
Doctor Shadowing: 36 hours
Other Volunteering: 250 hours
Leadership positions at school: 4

Race: Asian (ORM), US Citizen, no special status.
None applied in ED or Restrictive Early Action

Final Decision : UPenn Bio-engineering via regular admission

Other Colleges Accepted in Bio/Biomedical engineering: Duke, UCLA, Rice, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, WashU, Notredame(Biological sciences), Emory, Carnegie Mellon, UNC, Georgia Tech, University of Texas -Austin, University of Rochester, North-Eastern

Wait-Listed at: Columbia, Caltech, University of Chicago, North-western, Johns Hopkins, Berkeley

Denied: Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Brown, MIT, Cornell.

BS-MD accepted: 4 (Drexel, UCF, USF, Saint Louis)
BS-MD Denied: 10

I learned about College Confidential forum recently after my daughter got admission.

Daughter started focusing on testing very late, hence did not apply early. Every application was submitted on the last day. Did not plan to apply for BS/MD programs until almost 3rd year of her school and hence her medical application is not strong. Never took any professional coaching on testing, never got any professional help on advising or essay. Essay on Band. Never looked into any forums like College Confidential. No research experience or internships(Applied to few, but did not get into). No professional sports.

DD simply made use of every single inch and significant opportunity at the public school. Got excellent recommendations from school counselor and teachers. Demonstrated passion for learning and all round performance. Showed persistence and continuous pacing. Did not hesitate to take path of highest rigor. As she challenged herself with several APs, She even got a B and two A- in APs, How ever showed improvement by taking AP exam again the following year. Demonstrated equal interest in Languages, Humanities, Arts and STEM. In most of interviews, she talked about her passion to write stories and her leadership in school book club. Most BS-MD programs did not like this type of application. Most BS-MD programs were not giving any credit for the rigor reflected in the weighted GPA and non-medical related other passions. They seem to go mostly by Unweighted GPA, near perfect scores and medical related activity and research exposure. Only children of doctors and other medical professionals can get that type of exposure. How ever top 30 regular colleges seem to like the simple approach my daughter took. I wish good luck with your or your kid’s application processing.

2 Likes

@Parent987 - Congratulations to your D and your family on her admission to UPenn.

Your D is a very strong student who got into 14 very strong UG colleges and 4 BSMD programs. These are strong results.

@Parent987

Thanks for sharing your D’s profile and reflections. Very impressive and congratulations on getting into UPenn.
Quite an achievement getting in RD to the Bio engineering there, one of the best disciplines they have (the other being Chemical & Bio Molecular and Materials).

It is generally better to limit the number of extracurriculars in high school to a handful, say 4 or 5 at most and go extra miles in them. Also may not be good idea stretching oneself with count of number of APs, but rather have fewer and best scores in them. Also some of the good ones among these BS/MD programs also pay closer attention to other things like rigor of course work, how competitive the school is, reputation of the school, class rank if given etc. apart from just the unweighted gpa. They do know there are schools where some 25% of students may have a 4.0 gpa and schools like yours where your daughter even being the valedictorian didn’t have that.

It is true, most of the students getting these coveted medical related ECs such as NIH and so on tend to be the children of those in healthcare and/or those with connections. Some of these programs are cognizant of the fact and have been de emphasizing their role in their selecting criteria over the past few years.

Good luck to your daughter and hope if she continues the trajectory, she can find herself in UPenn medical school if she wants to pursue medicine down the road.

Thank you Vicky2019 and rk2017. Congrats to you as well. I agree with you that one does not have to do 15 AP/College courses to get into a good school. They could simply do just the relevant APs and achieve higher grade in what they have taken-up. I feel the 15 AP/college courses helped indirectly by helping her to achieve the Valedictorian title. We feel this class rank helped her a lot by making her distinguish her self in school setting and created impression that the student constantly challenged her-self. We also think the extra-curricular activities seem to have helped her in regular college admissions as they helped her to express passion in her interviews and created general impression that the student is all round and is beyond academics and scores. These activities also helped her mind to grow and mature better. These activities were giving her lot of motivation, satisfaction and energy at school which in turn helped in academics.

Does one need certain number of shdowing hours for BS/MD