*** BS/MD Results For Class of 2017 ***

@Goldenrock she is my classmate’s daughter. Happy for her. Does Rice/Baylor select only 6?

@Hades321 Yes. that is what the news article mentioned. If I remember correctly other years also it is close to 5-6 only Rice/Baylor selects.

It could be just me but Rice/Baylor admission process seems very interesting and is worth a discussion - as there may be more to the interview process here… Two Points to note here:

1. They are the last ones to interview candidates (in fact very very late) and declare results - in fact when they interview all other results are out ( :) )and their results are declared just a week before May 1 deadline....
  2. It would we nice and informative to understand the breakdown of the 6 candidates selected - This is a very selective program and would be interesting to know the folks who got in where they fell into in the below two categories..

a). Out of State and IN States
b). How many other programs did the individuals get in other than RB program (I sense there is some interesting insight here).

Does graduating from a BS/MD program make you as competitive for residencies as the graduates from top med schools?

@dana_k - It all depends on the program and the student. However, I did see an old report which said they don’t do as well as traditional 4 yr undergrad students. It may be due to amount time spent on research and volunteering.

@dana_k, guess it depends on which bs/ba md program and as always the student him/her self. I read somewhere that RPI/Albany program grads tend to get pretty decent residency placements though Albany Medical school is not that eminent. This is perhaps owing to the focus on research the students are exposed to for most part of that 7 year program. I would imagine the same for the students in the accelerated programs of more well known and research intensive institutions like Boston, North Western and Penn State. Students can focus their time and energy more on what that really interest and matter to them in a not so stressful and competitive setup, rather than trying to develop an overall well rounded background to impress prospective medical schools at a future time, since they are already pretty much assured of a career.

Hello all,

I went through the BS/MD application process the previous year (for the class of 2021). I will be starting school in the Fall of 2017 at UIC’s GPPA Medicine Program. College Confidential really helped me throughout my application process, and I hope I can be of some help to the future BS/ MD Applicants.

Overall, I would say that there is no one thing that determines whether you are qualified for the BS/MD programs. Each program has its own focus and mission; its most likely that you won’t be fit for all those programs.

I believe that if you are truly committed to medicine and really want to pursue your academic career through a BS/MD program, you can truly do it. I started off my application process by making a list of the BS/MD programs I would apply to (there are a lot of websites online that provide a full list of the colleges that have these kinds of programs). After filtering based on residency and average ACT/GPA, I narrowed my list down.

Residency: IL

Unweighted GPA: 4.0/4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.6
ACT Score: 34
SAT Subject Math 2: 800
SAT Subject Biology: 790

AP Classes:
AP Biology- 5
AP Chemistry-5
AP Calculus BC- 5
AP Macroeconomics-5
AP Microeconomics- 5
AP Art History- 5
AP Human Geography (self studied)- 4

I moved to the United States in the Junior Year of High School. I live in Naperville (West suburbs of Chicago). I had maintained all A’s in my 9th and 10th grade (completed in India), and continued to maintain straight A’s in my Junior and Senior years of high school in the US.

Professional Experience:

• Dr. Rubin's Mini Medical School- Student ( 20 hours)
  • Teaching Assistant (45 hours)

-Research at the University of Illinois at Chicago in the Molecular Biology Research Building -(250 hours)

• Shadowing
  • Dentist (40 hours)
  • Gynecologist (15 hours)
  • Non Invasive Cardiologist (30 hours)

Volunteer Experience: (throughout Junior and Senior year)

• Hospital- Emergency Room (80 hours)
  • Vibha Chicago (Non Profit Organization) (20 hours)
  • Buddy Break (20 hours)
  • Rehabilitation Center (15 hours)

EC’s:

• Model United Nations- Mentor
  • Aspiring Medical Professionals Club - Executive Board Member
  • HOSA- Executive Board Member
  • Student Council- Executive Board Member
  • Indian Instrumental Orchestra - Mentor and Harmonium Player
  • Karate- Black Belt
  • Girls Basketball

Awards:

• DPSSL Model United Nations Conference- Best Delegate Award
  • Zeste Model United Nations Conference- Special Mention Award
  • DPSN Model United Nations Conference- Special Mention Award
  • Greenwave Model United Nations Conference- High Commendation Award
  • Scholar Badge/ Academic Achievement Award consecutively for 9 years
  • Wildcat Pride Award
  • Honors Award
  • Sandesh Speech Competition- 2nd Place
  • Sandesh Music Competition - 3rd Place

Essays:
My essays were my ORIGINAL ideas and reflected my thoughts. and my own passion for medicine. I think your essay should have something that conveys something unique about you. My Junior friends often call me asking for help, and they always say, “…but I don’t have anything unique. I’ve never had anything unique happen to me.” Trust me, that’s what EVERYONE thinks during the essay writing time. Give yourself some time, and you will find the “unique and interesting” parts of your “mundane-seeming” life. I was sitting at a party, and the idea for my Common Application Essay just hit me. Look into the details of the big events of your life; you will find something that will make you smile, something that makes you unique.

Letters of Recommendation:

• My teachers absolutely loved my determination and passion that I displayed in their classes. No one ever felt that I had moved from a different country so recently. I seemed to fit in really well, and the teachers really appreciated the efforts that I put in to succeed in their classes. Multiple teachers nominated me for various awards at the school level within my first year.
  • I also received a letter of recommendation from the professor with whom I worked with at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
  • Another letter of recommendation was provided by Dr. Rubin.
  • The dentist I shadowed also provided me with a letter of recommendation.

Interview:

• For the UMKC interview, the format was the MMI format, which involved 10- 11 short interviews with professionals and faculty at UMKC. I prepared for the MMI's by watching mock interviews online and reading and learning about medical ethics. I loved all the questions the interviewers asked me! I made sure that I left the "me element" in all the short interviews.
  • At the UIC GPPA interview, I had a wonderful time! Most of our conversation revolved around my perspective on things and my values. I had a lot of funny stories about how I adjusted in the United States. I had so much to say in such less time.

Here are my direct medicine program results-

1. UMKC 6 year program - interview- ACCEPTED
  2. UIC GPPA Medicine program- interview- ACCEPTED
  3. VCU GAP- rejected pre interview
  4. SLU Medical Scholars Program- ACCEPTED
  5. Siena/ Albany Program - rejected pre interview
  6. Oklahoma BS/MD program- rejected pre- interview
  7. Drexel/Drexel- rejected pre- interview
  8. California Northstate University - interview- ACCEPTED
  9. Case Western Direct Med- rejected pre interview
  10. Temple Direct Med Program - rejected pre interview
  11. Boston University Direct Med- rejected pre interview
  12. Penn State/Jefferson- rejected pre interview
  13. Brown PLME- interview- rejected
  14. LECOM BS/DO program- interview- ACCEPTED

I wish all of the aspiring BS/MD applicants a very good luck! BE YOURSELF throughout the application process! Let me know if you have any questions: I would love to help!

That’s great achievement especially coming into this school system in the middle of the High School. Did you have a green card by the time application was submitted ? I was told some of these colleges requires GC/Citizenship.

@collegeready101 would you mind sharing your interview experience with UMKC and LECOM?

Sorry this is quite a bit later…but how many Bs (semester wise) got you a 3.9 uw

@collegeready101

when did california northstate give their statements if you were accepted ~ and how was their interview format?

@anesthesia2021, looks like you posted on an old thread by mistake. I don’t think @collegeready101 will be reading this thread any more. You may want to send her a private message and see if it helps.

Hi! I know this is a bit late, but I was wondering if you’d be willing to answer a few questions for me and chat? Let me know! I’m really interested in independent research and want to conduct a survey based study, but am a little lost.

That last comment was meant for @kmn213 sorry! Still new to the site!