BS/MS University Scholars Question

<p>As we understand it, DS can use his Presidential Scholarship to cover his MS courses as part of the University Scholars program as long as he hasn’t officially completed all the requirements for the BS (correct?)</p>

<p>Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess), he has completed (or received credit for) all of his H/L/FA/HI/SB/NS elective requirements already - but still needs several Free Elective credits. </p>

<p>If he starts taking his 5xx level MS credits first semester Sr. year - can we allocate those specifically toward the MS degree and not have them count as Free Electives for his BS? If they were counted as BS free electives by default, he would complete his BS requirements a semester too soon.</p>

<p>A related question - if my son completed all but 2 Free Elective credits prior to his senior year, could he take 9 MS credits and 1 FE credit (such as band) each semester (10 credits total) and still be covered under his presidential scholarship? Is it reasonable to take 9 graduate credits per semester?</p>

<p>9 is the max for grad students generally. Ok to also do a 1 credit undergrad. I think the rule is as long as the student hasn’t graduated and is taking at least one undergrad course, it’s cool…but check and find out.</p>

<p>There is a technicality at UA where one can earn the credits required for graduation with a bachelor’s degree, but fail to submit a degree application on the grounds that one might still want to take other undergraduate courses and remain on an undergraduate scholarship. Some graduate students take 15 graduate credits per semester, with 9 credits being required for full time status as a graduate student versus the 12 credits per semester required for full time status as an undergraduate student.</p>

<p>Alternatively, one can leave one undergraduate class requirement unfulfilled until the last semester or wait to submit a transcript for a transfer class which is not a prerequisite for other courses until the final semester.</p>

<p>One cannot live in on-campus housing unless they are a full time student. University scholars are classified as undergraduate students, meaning that full time status is 12 credits per semester. Undergraduate merit scholarships will cover students with part time status however.</p>

<p>Could the 1.5 credit STEM MBA classes be used senior year to keep the undergrad scholarship active?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>To my knowledge one just needs to have an undergraduate degree remaining. There is no requirement to take undergraduate classes during a given semester. The STEM MBA class should help satisfy the requirement, though I can’t imagine that UA is going to make STEM MBA students graduate with a bachelor’s degree before the expected time.</p>