BSMD/BSDO Applicants Undergrad and Medical School experiences

From the little that I know, vascular surgery is different than cardiovascular. Vascular surgeons do not touch the heart; cardiovascular do.

2 Likes

Yes, son went to Vascular surgery workshop yesterday and sent this photo.

4 Likes

At my D’s school, they split Organic chemistry into 2 semesters. Do you all think this is a good thing or bad? We hear lot of senior parents that ORG is the toughest course in the pre-med curriculum.

Oranic Chemistry is 2 semesters everywhere I know. Biochem is one semester.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Nice resource on Med Schools GPA/MCAT/Acceptance Rate 2022 updates

1 Like

Same everywhere. Here are some examples…

1 Like

Orgo is 1 year - 2 semesters or 3 quarters.

Thanks! I don’t know about that. For some reason they have orgo only for a semester. Only starting from this year, they split that into 2 semesters as kids were finding it difficult.

Looks like it’s common in other schools.

1 Like

@cheer2021 - Which BSMD program your D is in?

StonyBrook

1 Like

How was her first semester?

Stony Brook’s BSMD first semester went great for DC. DC spent most of the first sem buddy up with new friends, adjusting to dorm life, familiar with the college clubs there (example: acapella), trying out music minor courses, and talking to seniors about their experiences. DC visited Batchmate’s home twice during holiday breaks and did some fun activities there. DC survived 3 storms there in the first 4 months, one just came and hit Stony Brook in the 4th week of Aug :slight_smile:

DC is way above the GPA req for the program, as of first sem. DC is now taking Organic Chem 1 in the freshmen year spring semester, so far A and A- on and off. Will get A- for sure in Org Chem 1, that is what DC said a week ago.
DC discussed a 3-year course plan with me a week ago (DC has nearly 70 college credits from HS already), planning to graduate in mid of 2024 and thinking of applying for fast track MBA there. I asked DC during the Christmas break whether the BSMD program is suitable, and the response I got was …liked it and was willing to continue and not plan on applying out, but to explore fast track MBA there in the 4th year (UG) instead of research or work experience in the 4th year (UG) before heading to medical school.

DC secured a spot in ACC Young Scholars Program and that will keep DC busy for months during free times. DC also got into 1 clinical summer internship program offered by a T5 medical school, It’s a 2-week virtual program. Thinking of this offer as this program requires nearly $4K payment (just for 2 weeks virtual?). Not sure if it’s worth it.

6 Likes

Hi can anyone let me know their experience in RPI/AMC? The threads don’t seem to rank it very high? Is there a problem we are overlooking? Is there anything we should know before committing?

great update! I don’t think virtual summer internships are worth the money.

2 Likes

Oh cool, I also got into the ACC Young Scholars Program!

2 Likes

@srk2017
DC finally gave up T5 summer virtual internship (with 4K sticker price) and enrolled in the 2022 Laney Graduate School, Summer Opportunity for Academic Research (LGS-SOAR) Virtual Program at Emory University. It’s a nearly a 2-month summer program, DC chose to enroll instead of the T5 thing.

2 Likes

@abcdef_27
@mak2000 DD accepted into RPI/AMC and attending. You can DM and find out about the experience. There may be a few others in the past results threads who were accepted in RPI/AMC and were attending. Good luck.

Good job of avoiding T5 exploitation :grinning:

2 Likes

@srk2017
Please consider adding BSDO to this thread title…something like this… “BSMD/BSDO applicants undergrad and medical school experiences”, so folks in BSDO programs will also share their experiences in this thread.
Both BSMD general discussion and BSMD results threads have gone through the same …I mean the inclusion of “BSDO” in the respective thread titles, FYI.

1 Like