BSMD/BSDO Applicants Undergrad and Medical School experiences

@GoldenRock - Congratulations to your DD and her proud parents.All the best to her at her IM residency :clap:

2 Likes

Congratulations! I am also in Dallas, attending nieceā€™s wedding. Both are doctors, doing fellowship.

1 Like

Probably should post another update here. More or less narrowed down my interests into a procedural field and currently doing clinical research with the PD of a surgical specialty. Managed to pump out a few papers including a first author and had a great time with study abroad so could not be happier with how the year went. Hoping the good luck continues haha

5 Likes

Good job! So you have one more year to matriculate to medical school?

1 Like

ignore/delete this please

DS completed MS2 which included 6 months of clinical rotations. His first three were primary care and he donā€™t see himself going into primary care.

4 Likes

Congratulations!!!
Wishing her the very best.

1 Like

congratulation! I remember you shared since she was in undergrad. Time sure flies, all her hard work is payoff. Thatā€™s very impressive, MD/PHD in 4 yrs!

1 Like

MD/MPH not MD/PHD.

2 Likes

It has been a while since I posted anything. Here is quite a few updates since previous post for my younger son.
He finished undergrad at Northwestern with Neuroscience major and CS minor with upper 3.9x GPA last summer.
He took the gap year and did research work at NIH while applying to MD/PhD programs, he didnā€™t apply to MD only programs. His NIH rodeo would result in a published paper as first author.
His MCAT score didnā€™t meet his expectations, for whatever reasons he actually scored 5 points lower than FL practice exams. Nonetheless, he still wait listed at Stanford, would be an ideal choice for us as both sons can live in bay area closer to each other.
He started his MSTP (MD/PhD) journey just few weeks back at The Ohio State University College of Medicine (if you look at their website, certain you can easily identify my son) and also spend the summer between 2 lab rotations, will do same next year summer too, so that he has 4 explored lab choices to choose from for PhD years.

Financial Impact: Because he is in MSTP program it is fully funded for tuition and fees, all 8 years, plus the stipend makes private apartment and living affordable. No loans at the end of 8 years.

Some thoughts:
Like so many suggested, it is a roller coaster ride and taking a year at a time. With limited seats of MD/PhD programs (<800) and his preferences of study, only applied to ~15 schools and got into one of his choice. What matters to him is he is able to carve out his own path.
As a parent, imagine another 8 years (2+4+2 format) for MD/PhD after undergrad and a gap year, it is hard for parents to think about another long haul and swallow their pride and here in forum we argue about gap year(s) pros and cons. Its a dedication and long term commitment, not a quick buck mentality or rat race. Evey kid is different, their interests are different, let them expand their wings, donā€™t cut their wings even before that bird learns to fly by pursuing peer pressure and stereo type Asian parents mentality. I would admit and glad honestly that he thinks differently than me a lot, which is also a learning curve for me. We are in full support for his decision.

4 Likes

Congratulations to your son and your family! I think he is the first MD/PHD we came across BSMD forums :smiling_face: instead of being close to his brother he is living close to you which is also a good thing.

Great advice to future applicants and their parents. So many horror stories about MCAT over the years but despite underperforming in MCAT your son got good admiration!

1 Like

I meant good admission :slight_smile:

1 Like

@PPofEngrDr - Congratulations to your DS and the proud family on his amazing full ride admission to ohio-state-university, University College of Medicine. :clap: :clap: :clap: Best wishes to him as well as your family!

1 Like

My child is considering applying to Icahnā€™s flexmed program and has the following concerns: (a) He is interested in MD/PhD and is not sure whether the switch is allowed if he were to be admitted, (b) if there is no pathway to MD/PhD, would declining blacklist him to applying for AMCAS schools when he applies for MD/PhD or MD only programs in his senior year.

1 Like

For both questions, best to call and later email with Icahnā€™s program office.
Though second question you can nail down after s/he gets admission to Icahn.

2 Likes

Icahnā€™s flexmed is not binding.

1 Like

Congratulations!!!
We had discussed about his goals of doing MD/PhD. I am so happy he is on the path of achieving that.
We wish him the very best.

As you know, we are relatively close by.

Question from 2024 applicant - so far got admission into UPitt, VCU. No news on honors or others yet. GPA 4.2 W , SAT 1570 and have few research programs with 1 publication, NMSC semi finalist and good hospital, community volunteering along with shadowing.
If I am looking to apply Case Western with UG preference considering BSMD is a high competition, any suggestions on the EA deadline/RD deadline for CW? Should I try checking the option for BSMD

For Georgetown, the admission %s for EA, RD seems to be close. I am not plng to ED to any however will it be better to apply RD along with a fair pool of applicants considering my GPA

I was looking into the LECOM BSDO and confused as it has multitude of feeder schools and application to LECOM is rolling and separate. Should I submit an application to LECOM now or apply first to UG and wait to be admitted into UG first? Of the feeders, so far Iā€™m applying to St. Bounaventure, Syracuse, RIT, Siena and have already applied to 2 of them, what is the process to apply for the LECOM BSDO? Is there any of the feeders near the East Coast that any one can sugest for this program? Thank you for the help as it is quite confusing

Did you apply to BS\MD program at UPitt, VCU?

Yes but knowing UPitt GAP, VCU GMD are both highly selective not much hopes on it