BSN colleges in Massachusetts

Hi,
My daughter looking for BSN colleges in Massachusetts.
She is in 11th now, can someone help me BSN colleges info.
When we search in Google every college got good NCLEX rate I’m confusing. (We got one year time just started understanding)
how we know which college link to which hospital for clinicals.

I can’t put the link because it filters out Niche with the dot com- but google best colleges for nursing in massachusetts + niche and there’s a list to start which is:

BC
NEU
Simmons
UMASS
Mass College of Health and Pharmacy
UMASS Boston
College of our Lady of the Elms
Regis
Endicott
UMASS Lowell
UMASS Dartmouth
and goes longer

why just mass? If it’s money, depending on stats, she can find it in many states and in New England you have a tuition exchange, etc.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. We are open for the New England area and as well East Coast. we are worried about of state tuition fee is very high. How does the tuition exchange work for MA students? any idea?
Thanks.

1 Like

Looks like Western Connectictut.

What you really need to do is post her #s - her GPA (weighted, unweighted). Her SAT if she has. Her ECs. If she’s a stellar student, you’d be amazed at the merit at schools like Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, Florida State, Miami Ohio, South Carolina, and more.

There are threads on here about nursing - some say you want to find schools that are direct admit vs. transfer in. You can get a list of direct admit programs…I put below.

Others say to find a program that has clinicals nearby so you don’t have to go far - so to find a school where you sort of have a one stop shop - like Pitt.

Good luck.

» Tuition Break (nebhe.org)

Direct Admit Nursing Programs (■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■)

2 Likes

Thanks. (Lot of good info)

1 Like

Hi,
How about Drexel university / UMASS Boston/Lowell?
UMASS BOSTON showing link to many hospitals also it is in Boston.

1 Like

I’m not a nurse…but I will say…if cost is an issue, look at all options that are affordable in your state. This can include getting a Associates Degree in Nursing at a community college…then getting a job and working towards a BSN while working.

2 Likes

Thanks…

1 Like

Tuition exchange in New England only applies if your major is not available in state. You will not get instate rates outside of MA for nursing, except for University of Maine which has tuition match.

I’m not an expert on nursing schools, but as a MA parent I’ve always wondered why people go to expensive schools like BC for nursing. I would consider saving your money and going to Worcester State (or whatever other state school works for you).

4 Likes

The list I sent showed western ct. if i pulled it up right.

1 Like

We are also thinking State schools.
Some people are telling if we go private school starting salaries are better than private.
Other way we are paying lot.
Not sure any difference on teaching staff (Private and Public).

Again you’ve provided no stats. You can sometimes find OOS publics or even private for less. Depends on your stats and financial position.

They are telling you that employers pay private school graduates more than public school graduates…in nursing?

I don’t believe that.

4 Likes

A critical care nurse makes more money than an elementary school nurse (in the same city-- an elementary school nurse in NY might make more money than a critical care nurse in a rural area with a low cost of living. A nursing supervisor in a large hospital makes more money than a nurse in private pediatric practice.

You should explore the many resources to understand compensation bands and trends in nursing and not believe what “some people” are telling you. All the data is out there.

3 Likes

Go to the most affordable nursing school you can find. Run the net price calculator for every school. Preferably a full BSN program but if community college is your budget then start there. I’ve been in healthcare (respiratory therapist) over 20 years and nobody cares where you got your BSN so long as you have it and get relevant experience. I work with nurses who got their training in the most selective program in my state and nurses who went through a community college RN program and finished their BSN online at a for-profit no name school. They’re paid the same and have the same responsibilities at my inpatient pediatric rehab. But it was the same in the hospital except some don’t hire ASN’s at all (before pandemic, now they probably all hire anybody legal to work).

Good luck!

2 Likes

I am an RN and I can tell you not to waste your time in an AD program. MOST ALL jobs now require a BSN. Keep looking and apply to many schools. The amount of aid/merit given varies widely. Look at southern schools. They typically give much more money than those in the Northeast. Good luck

Exactly!!!

I’m sure you meant to hit the regular reply button and not to me. I’m not applying to nursing school.

I think some of this might be regional. Around here, many nurses start at a community college and get a ADN…and then get their BSN while working.

2 Likes

Ha, yes, meant to reply to the thread not to you specifically. Sorry for the confusion.

I can share with this thread that no matter what college you go to, if you come out with a BSN from a state school or a BSN from an elite Ivy, your salary will be exactly the same! No one has EVER asked me where I went to nursing school and decided my salary on that. If you pass the boards and are a licensed RN in the state you want to work in, your salary will be the same. Now if you have more experience than another RN, it is then your salary will be higher. Go to a school that you feel comfortable with, that is accredited, that you will have fun at and will prepare you for the boards. Come out of school as debt free as possible and begin your career on a high note. Good luck!

2 Likes