Business Dilemma

<p>Hey Guys, </p>

<p>I've been admitted t UW-Madison, under the major of Retailing in the school of Human Ecology. I want to do business, and always have wanted to do so.
I have also read about Uw-Madison, and I really liked the feel of the university a lot. </p>

<p>Problem is, you apply to the business school at the end of third year at Madison. Is this too much of a risk? I have already been admitted to Penn-State and Purdue's business school directly. However, my first choice is Madison. </p>

<p>Can anyone give me advice/suggestions? </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>The retailing major under School of Human Ecology is what known as a parallel business major. See <a href="http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/advising/pdfs/pathways.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/advising/pdfs/pathways.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I don't want to sugarcoat this. It is definitely a real risk that you may not graduate with a degree from School of Business. The official stat is 71% who applied got in to the school but there is a fair amount of self selection involved (many students under 3.0 usually don't even apply). Now that I am done with the warning, I think most who want to get into school of business find their ways in (even if that means re-apply a few times). So, I hope you will see it as a challenge and a reminder not to party too much. :)</p>

<p>What do you mean exactly by a "parallel to the business major?"</p>

<p>It's term refering to business-related majors that are outside of School of Business. Graduates of these majors have historically been successful to enter a business career.</p>

<p>I should also note that career services in the school of business are opened to all, including non-business majors (who pay a small nominal fee). So are the student orgs. In addition, there is also the Certificate in Business (CIB) program which is quite popular among engineering students. So bottom line is, regardless your major, you can always pursue a business career through the school.</p>

<p>Wisconsin has a competitive business program. Other programs in the Big 10, like Indiana are ranked higher, but they also have bigger programs allowing more students to participate. It is a question of supply and demand. Wisconsin doesn't have as many spaces, so they can afford to be more selective. While many incoming students don't know the type of business career they have interest, there are differences in the programs. Purdue's Krannert school is highly regarded in operations. Indiana is entrepreneurship and marketing. Wisconsin is real estate, accounting, product management, and insurance/risk management.</p>

<p>Thanks so much guys!!!</p>

<p>I really have my heart set on Wisconsin, I dont know why but my gut feeling says that Wisconsin-Madison is right for me. Also from the brochures and admission materials I have received from all schools, Wisconsin's has impressed me the most.</p>

<p>Go Badgers! :)</p>

<p>Remember you are attending a whole campus, not just a doing a major so go with the one that suits you in the most ways; I still love that place (this is the UW site so we can be as biased as we wish...).</p>

<p>Also on a different note, I've heard people say that no matter what you're major all freshmen are put into one college, because we have to take core courses first. What college is this? (It's because I want to know how far I am from a housing perspective?) </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Most incoming freshmen enroll under College of Letters & Science (LS). My guess yours is School of Human Ecology (check your acceptance letter). Regardless your "college", you are likely going to take pre-business required classes all over the campus. Read through other recent housing threads here for tips and advise.</p>