Business Information Systems for IT and business

Short-term, I feel like CS/IT is a better degree to have since the sector is bigger and the job market is better. Long-term, my interests lie more in humanities and management. I prefer the traditional work environment and would rather work with teams to solve non-definitive, higher-end problems than perform IT/programming tasks all-day.

I’m currently a HS senior and would like to have options seeing how I am not 100% of what I want to do presently. Ultimately, I imagine that I’ll find a career in either (1) consulting, (2) financial/equity management, or (3) cybersecurity or network architecture. Money is (obviously) a consideration, though I do find myself genuinely interested in these fields. I find myself applying analytical thinking to humanities and vice versa; these careers seem like a nice balance of the two for me.

With that said, would BIS/MIS set me up for a career in these fields? On paper, it seems like a good option, though I fear that by splitting the difference (i.e., not going all in on BA or CS) I’d have something which isn’t adequate enough for either.

I think you need to research the specific programs at different schools and their job placement histories.

At my daughter’s school, people in the Business Information Systems major are often double majors, most often pairing it with Finance or Accounting or sometimes Supply Chain Management.

This is just my opinion. I feel like starting with a undergraduate CS degree and maybe adding a MBA after a few years of working to take you to a consulting/management career might be better. The CIS degree seems reasonable but might not give the depth of knowledge needed for these career choices.