Business Programme/Major at UM

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'm currently considering applying to UM as a Business Major. I want to know how the Business programme at UM is? How are the teachers, classes and academics? </p>

<p>How's the social life at UM? Do people work during the week and then party during the weekends, is that how it works?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Karanz,</p>

<p>The UM School of Businee Administration has about 2000 students and most of the classes are under about 19 students. The profs are accessible and the school’s leadership is first rate.</p>

<p>Karanz,</p>

<p>Please check out the interactive brochure the SBA puts out:
[Undergraduate</a> Programs : University of Miami School of Business](<a href=“http://www.bus.miami.edu/undergraduate-programs/]Undergraduate”>http://www.bus.miami.edu/undergraduate-programs/)</p>

<p>Lots of good info on academcs, programs, Bermont-Carlin Scholars and some other interesting stuff.</p>

<p>one thing is: lots of business areas- biz law, finance, econ, entrepreneur, marketing etc</p>

<p>second: teachers are really good, small classes and you take biz classes the first semester. my friends are biz majors and they are all taking 2-3 biz classes first semester frosh yr. you dont get to do that at many colleges</p>

<p>I just transferred out of the UM Business School to the University of North Carolina. After having first-hand experience with the academics and professor the business program, I can offer all of my advice to you.</p>

<p>As a whole, the business program is one of the strongest programs offered at the University of Miami. It is a top 50 program in the nation according to rankings. The classes are very manageable and the curriculum is moderately challenging. As one of the previous posters wrote, the class-sizes are very small which makes it very easy to learn and have recourse with your professors that you cannot get at most other universities. For most of the time I spent in the business school, I felt the grading was very inflated. However, for my last semester, I felt that the School of Business is becoming more competitive and they’re trying to deflate average GPA. One of my complaints about UM School of Business which I’m sure others love is the method of learning at Miami. Moving to North Carolina has been a huge adjustment as the way of learning and teaching is completely different. At Miami, much of the information in the School of Business is spoon-fed to you. If you go to class and put some time in, you’re destined to be successful in almost any class. The professors lay out exactly what you need to know for the test and don’t offer any extra information, many professors tell the students the exact material that will be on the exam. I feel that this is not beneficial at all as it is not preparing the students for the real world that is unpredictable, people do not tell you what to expect. At UNC, the professors teach you but they only teach the bare essentials and expect you to put the time and learn the material on your own. </p>

<p>With that being said, the caliber of courses is not too bad and does allow for students to put minimal work in and enjoy their nights and weekends. Miami is a school for students who want to put in the least amount of effort to get good grades and have a good time. </p>

<p>That’s all I can offer right now, if you have anymore questions, feel free to let me know. </p>

<p>Many of the professors in the business schools are not true professors, they’re lecturers.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.</p>

<p>Well it does sound a little like secondary school where your teachers really want you to get good grades and stuff. But at the same time it allows you to acheive good grades while having a good time at uni. </p>

<p>By the way what do you think my chances are at UM?</p>

<p>I have a predicted grade of 32/42 and may possibly go up to 35.</p>

<p>I’ve done various community service projects such as helping refugees with ICT, painting a school in Thailand, teaching English at a Kindergarden, etc. I’ve done work experience in NY for 2 weeks as well, and I think I’ll be getting around a 1800-1900 on the SAT. What would my chances be for a Business Major at Pepperdine?</p>

<p>It depends on your major. No one is feeding you information in Accounting or Finance from first hand experience. These are very competitive majors. In Accounting, the classes are geared to pass the CPA exam which requires synthesis and critical thinking outside of memorizing specific laws and procedures. Finance prepares students for financial analysis which requires in-depth interpretation of data. FIN302 is a weed-out class for the major. Being good at math is just the beginning since Finance prepares you for the Series exams to trade stock, etc.</p>

<p>I graduated in May of 2008. As a Business Law minor, the department was very good. It definitely taught critical thinking, reflect on, and correct application of the law in weekly short-essay quizzes/exams. All of my teachers were real lawyers who graduated from UM Law and one graduated from UF Law.</p>

<p>Marketing (my major) focuses on writing business plans and consumer behavior (a course involving Psychology), but includes a difficult Marketing Research course (which is mostly another Statistics class). Management also deals with writing business plans and some psychology-like courses like Advanced Organizational Behavior).</p>

<p>Take entrepreneurship electives as these teach you how to write a persuasive, viable business plan. These courses show that you are able to execute a detailed, well-thought out plan that is practical and able to be immediately put into action. Ex. working with Orange Clothing Company (founded by an alum) to expand into the Latin-American Market. Another option was working with a local Salad fast food restaurant conducting our own market research for a second store location based on the presence of surrounding lunch options, clientele from nearby office buildings, income of the area, and many other variables.
These practical skills look great on a grad school application compared to some Liberal Arts Majors that are based in theory where students graduate knowing only how to write papers. I am in graduate school at a Top-25 university, and when I met the director of the program, he said that I had a great application because he could see that I could execute a plan.</p>

<p>Does UM have good econ dept? Compared to those of Penn St., Wisconsin-Madison, Boston university, Indiana University or Michigan stat for example? I am going to major in Economics. I’ d appreciate if someone will answer my question.</p>

<p>Olzhas,</p>

<p>According to WSJ, UMiami has the best SBA in the state of Florida. I think the Econ department holds its own with the rest of the school. With the exception of BU, all the above are publics. As Wneckid99 pointed out above, many publics won’t let you attend the school of business until you are upper division…think 350-plus student gen ed lectures.</p>