Business School Question

<p>So I'm planning on majoring in Human Resource Management at the Business School (after completing the pre-business requirements at the Letters & Science College and fulfilling the junior-standing credit requirement). I’m wondering if anyone has information about the business school itself (in terms of caliber), the HR program, or recommendations of classes to take before applying to the business school (b/c looks good on my application, useful, enjoyable, etc). </p>

<p>Actually, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>The B School is very good and improving every year. It also is more competitive every year which is good and bad. The more math you take the better. Also a leadership position in some area is good.</p>

<p>Ok since barrons obviously knows a lot about madison, i have a question too. I'm enrolled in the engineering college now but would like to also have a secondary focus in business (like maybe finance or something). is that possible at madison?</p>

<p>NO. You might get to do the new certificate in business. I think the rules are still in flux on that. I'd call the SOB and ask them. </p>

<p>Double</a> Majoring - Undergraduate Programs - UW-Madison School of Business</p>

<p>Or maybe. The SOE has a different answer. I'd still call either them or the SOB for the current rules.</p>

<p>Additional</a> Major</p>

<p>well i dont want a bachelors in business and in engineering. I wanted more like a bachelors in engineering with a little bit of focus on business so i can get a MBA. The second link seems to be telling me this is possible, that i can take business courses to prepare me for a MBA while getting a engineering major.</p>

<p>Sounds like a plan. I'd still consider the certificate as it might open up other jobs on graduation outside just engineering.</p>

<p>I just graduated from the B school and would recommend you (Serendipity) consider double majoring. I was an accounting major, so finding a job was a breeze, but I had a lot of friends in other majors that had difficulty finding jobs because everyone competes for the same positions in a few companies. Double-majoring, in my opinion, will give you just a little more than a single MHR major when it comes to finding a post-grad job.</p>

<p>Kevinscool, I would recommend that you pursue the certificate in business, and definitely consider taking extra accounting classes (managerial/cost accounting) as it will apply to your engineering major (although I may be biased because of my accounting degree). I was a TA for accounting last year and had a lot of engineering majors in my section, so I know that this is not uncommon.</p>

<p>BadgerAlum07, thanks for the advice. yeah, I decided double majoring would be a good idea. do you think that a major in economics would be a good pairing with MHR? or would another major within the business school be more useful? anything other advice would be greatly appreciated.</p>