Buying a Laptop

I’m going to be attending VT in the fall this year and I was going to buy my laptop from the University Bookstore and get the Lenovo yoga p40 but it’s going to be 2098 dollars after shipping and tax and I was wondering if I am getting ripped off? Would you recommend buying a laptop from the bookstore? Also is it too early to be buying my laptop, should I wait until orientation?

Its hard to tell if you are getting “ripped off” without listing all the options you purchased. Also, how much are you paying for S&H? Is a warranty part of the price?

I’ve read that the VT bookstore is excellent with regard to warranty repair and loaner laptops.

@UTkevin, you should consider waiting until your freshman orientation before purchasing a laptop. There will be students working at Orientation that you can speak to about the pros and cons of each laptop and the applications that the student uses. I found the students were both candid and knowledgeable. Also, there is no advantage to starting the warranty now when classes don’t start for 3+ months.

@UTkevin If you look on the VT website under computing requirements it tells you what you will need by major and/or college. From what current students and parents say it is good to buy from the bookstore because they will then guarantee service. You can put a 200.00 deposit down now and then pick it up at orientation. All of your necessary programs will be preloaded. We plan to do that for my daughter. I looked at the prices in comparison with the Apple website and I do not think VT is overcharging! Good luck!

If anyone here is a Costco member, this deal popped in my inbox today. Its a Lenovo Flex 5 (15" monitor) for $899. It has all the required specs for VT engineering and it looks like a solid machine.

I canceled my Lenovo P40 order ($2,000) from the VT bookstore and I’m going to take a chance on the Flex 5…and save $1,000.

The pen/stylus is extra, but you can get one for $25.

The deal expires on June 25, 2017. Here is the link…

https://www.costco.com/.product.100343180.html?&EMID=B2C_2017_0621_1263_OffersEnding