Buying Laptop as International Student

<p>I'm an international student and I won't be attending the orientation in July since it's so expensive to fly, so I'll be going in August instead.
However, if I want to order my laptop from them, should I do it now or should I get it when I reach VT?</p>

<p>Order with a pick-up date of August when you arrive.</p>

<p>Would a Lenovo X230 (laptop only) be alright? I’ll be getting a separate tablet also.</p>

<p>Don’t ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (times one million) buy a Tablet PC. </p>

<p>They are more expensive than regular laptops, aren’t as durable, specs are almost always lower than a comparable non tablet computer, and you will not use them past Freshman year. Hell, you don’t even need them to get good grades in your Freshman classes. </p>

<p>Buy a laptop and then get one of those USB bamboo tablets on the side. That’s what I did and I did fine in those Freshman classes. I’ve even had some engineering professors recommend students to not buy them. </p>

<p>Yeah I was looking at the specifications and they didn’t seem too impressive, so I figured buying separates would be better; thanks for your input @CloudyCloud‌!</p>

<p>@CloudyCloud‌ I bought an excellent lenovo laptop. it is i7, 1 TB memory, 8 GB RAM and all that but the only problem is it is not a tablet PC. Do professors actually check to make sure I have a tablet PC? I mean I can’t think of a reason why I can’t just my laptop instead of a tablet to do assignments. Can I still get A’s if I don’t have a tablet PC? Will be at a disadvantage without (if so in what way)? I am skipping most of the freshman classes anyway except for EngE, physics. may skip English as well.</p>

<p>Nobody checks to see if your laptop is a tablet. </p>

<p>Your computer is powerful enough to do anything academically related. </p>

<p>Do I need to have a disk drive? I don’t have one in my Lenovo X230…</p>