Cal Poly Class of 2026 Freshman Waitlist Discussion

With GPA range of 4.1-4.25, you cannot get into Cal Poly if you have a couple of B’s in each year of 9-11. Also to reach the upper limit of 4.25 you can only take a maximum of 10 semesters of A-G courses each year.

1 Like

The OP was about acceptance by major. I do understand that SLO publishes data by school, but the newspaper article referenced didn’t offer acceptance rate by major.

The problem, as we all know, is that acceptance rates and yield by major vary widely within each school. So overall acceptance rates and yield by school aren’t so helpful. A little bit though.

1 Like

That’s correct, newspaper article was about “What are the 10 hardest majors to get into at Cal Poly?” and the calculation is based on number of seats available in each major vs how many freshman applicants apply for the major in Fall 2022.

1. Psychology: 3,700 applicants, 71 spaces available (1.9%)
  2. Computer science: 6,784 applicants, 210 spaces available (3.1%)
  3. Software engineering: 692 applicants, 25 spaces available (3.6%)

Has anyone heard of there has been movement off the waitlist? Thanks!! :pray:t4:

A mom came into the FB parents group and said her daughter accepted yesterday. Major: Liberal Studies.

3 Likes

Is the waitlist still open? I’m still on it, but it’s been a while so I’m just thinking that they forgot to send me a decline email or something.

My son hasn’t received an update either and has been on the waitlist since March. Still no update to his portal or email.

I called admissions and was told that they will most likely let everyone know the afternoon of Friday July 15th by the end of the business day.

4 Likes

Admission said they will update the portal and send an e-mail.

4 Likes

Waitlist admits usually start after the May 1 SIR deadline, but if spots open up early, SLO will start pulling from the waitlist. Other than initial wave of acceptances have not heard a word since then from anyone.

Assuming that everyone’s about to get rejected today. But the real question is, why did we have to wait so long? It’s ridiculous, especially for a school that bases its admissions off an algorithm.

2 Likes

But the real question is, why did we have to wait so long?

My logic would be that since final transcripts and other required documentation is due July 15th, that admissions might wait as they review the required documents to see if any admitted students did not meet their provisional admission requirements thus opening up a few spots for the waitlisted students???

4 Likes

Son got rejected but it’s okay. We can finally move on now. It’s been quite a journey since November. Thanks for all the support on this thread! No matter where they go, it’s what they put into it. All the best to you and I hope we hear of some acceptances today!

3 Likes

Received rejection too. Good luck all

I heard someone got off the waitlist yesterday around 3:30 pm

2 Likes

So they have fewer appeals to deal with is my guess cause thet were not going to the waitlist for many majors and they knew that months aho

Typos sorry

1 Like

This would be my assumption as well. It’s logical.

1 Like

A post was split to a new thread: Chances for Aerospace Engineering

Crazy competitive. You can get 4.25 with 16 total A-G courses in 9-11 and 4 APs. Fits well with most CA high schools at 6 classes per year (18) less two years of PE to get to 16.