Cal poly nutrition major chances?

Hi,
My daughter has calculated her MCA and thinks it’s 4044. Any idea if she will be a competitive candidate for the nutrition major?

How does her CP GPA and Test scores compare to the averages for the College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Science? What about her his course rigor?

Average CP GPA: 4.00 Average ACT: 28 Average SAT: 1325

SLO projections shows 413 applicants for 60 spots. If you take an average 33% yield, then the acceptance rate for Nutrition is around 44%. Again this is conjecture since SLO does not post their yield by major.

Her CP gpa is 3.8 with rigor and ACT is 32.
I’m guessing she is in the running but far from a sure thing.

Definitely competitive but until you have an acceptance in hand, not a sure thing. Best of luck to her.

hey! I’m a current nutrition major at cal poly. I’m gonna go ahead and say that she has a good chance but of course nothing is for certain. I got in with around the same gpa and a 34 ACT. If you have any questions about the nutrition program here, feel free to ask!

Thanks, @happywaffles . It’s so hard to wait! Are you enjoying the program? Can you get into the classes you want/need? Do most nutrition majors graduate in 4 years? Is that a realistic goal?

@michzzl hi, sorry for the really late reply lol I don’t check college confidential a lot anymore. But yes, I really enjoy the program! The professors there do a pretty good job at making sure students plan out their schedule well, and there are flowcharts of all the classes you need to take at Cal Poly. ( https://flowcharts.calpoly.edu/ )
I haven’t heard of any nutrition majors not graduating in 4 years. The ones who stay for longer than 4 years are mostly architecture majors and engineers. In fact, I’m adding a food science minor and I can still graduate in 4 years easily. And for first year, you get blocked into the classes that you need so that’s not a problem. And since nutrition classes are kind of niche and for the most part only nutrition students take them, its quite easy to get classes.

Thank you! I really appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts! Best wishes to you.

@michzzl I saw your daughter got accepted. Congrats!!! My daughter too, in Nutrition! She is still waiting to hear a few more, but Cal Poly is her #1. We will see! Is your daughter set on going to CPSLO?

Yes, Cal Poly was her number 1 choice! What other schools is your daughter looking at?

And CONGRATS to your daughter!

@michzzl we are actually visiting Purdue at this moment! Their nutrition program seems very good. My daughter will have a hard time deciding…!

Oh cool! We liked that program, too, but my daughter was set on staying on the west coast. Best wishes to your daughter!