Cal Poly Pomona Acceptance Inquires

Hello, I am currently a high school senior in Las Vegas, Nevada attending a magnet school. My dream school to get into is Cal Poly Pomona and I am having a considerable amount of anxiety of my chances of getting accepted. On the Cal-State application website, my total calculated GPA is a 3.73 and total years in the A-G matching section is 21. To add on, my SAT score was 1210 and I did not submit my ACT score. I submitted 3 of my AP scores: 3 on Macro, 3 on Micro, and 4 on Psych. Extracurriculars aside, I think my academics are above average, but I don’t know if they are enough. Also, I am out-of-state so really don’t know how well my chances are. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

All CSUs are test blind. Your SAT score will not be used for admission, only for placement if you are accepted.

That is the primary criterion for most CSUs - GPA and rigor of classes.

You should have a good chance with a 3.7. Good luck!

Intended major? As noted CPP is test blind and also does not consider AP scores in the admission process.

CPP uses a calculated CPP index and then admits students based on that index within the specific major. CPP lists the major thresholds on their website. There are additional factors (points given) in addition to the base calculation such as First generation, Math course work for impacted majors, Veteran, EC’s etc. but these extra points are not listed.

Base calculation: (CSU GPA x 1000) + 450

If your CSU GPA (from application) is 3.73, then your base value is 4180. This value is above the admission threshold for most majors but may not be competitive for some of the impacted majors such as Animal Science and several Engineering majors.

You can check the threshold’s here: Freshman Student Profile

Can you afford full cost of attendance as an OOS student?

paging @skieurope
i think this is in the wrong category

@skieurope

I changed the post to the correct category.

Thanks

1 Like

My first-choice major was mechanical engineering, and my second choice was philosophy.

Also, is there a way I can calculate my CPP index with extracurriculars, first generation, math course work, etc. in mind, or does the school determine that.

Also, does the EOP better my chances at admission?

You need to be a CA resident to be eligible for EOP.

https://www.calstate.edu/attend/student-services/eop/Pages/eligibility.aspx

CPP does not give the point values for the additional MFA criteria for First generation, Math Course work GPA etc…. If your base CPP index is close to the thresholds listed and you qualify for additional point criteria, then you can estimate your admission chances.

CPP does consider your alternate major if you do not meet the threshold for your 1st choice major. Based on my experience for ME, a CSU capped weighted GPA of 4.0 or higher is needed to be competitive.