Cal Poly Pomona Official Thread Class of 2027

Thank you. We have our tour 9am this Friday - driving down from Oakland. Also visiting CSULB (waitlist), UCR (no result), Maybe SLO (no result) if a miracle happens UCSB (results out 3/21). He is lucky to be accepted at CPP for Physics. It is my fav as it’s a Poly and I just think that style of learning will be fab for him. Anyway will keep this thread posted. We all want to make a decision soon so I think waitlists may go out the window - even though we may accept any. He is also excited about CPP #Love the college that loves you back#:butterfly::purple_heart:. Of course ultimately his decision but I also push the practical aspects as well, and he also gets that as well.

5 Likes

CPP is probably just a few years away from being as competitive as CPSLO.

4 Likes

When we applied for fresh housing on 3/1 - they only offered as first and second choice the 2 new towers. So I believe they are trying to house the new kids in those 2 new towers. There are good videos of buildings​:pray::crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

Yes I wouldn’t disagree - but hey I am new to this.

DD was accepted 3/9 and wasn’t able to login to the portal until 3/14. When she applied for housing, they offered the traditional dorms as choices as well. Hoping dd gets the new ones!

1 Like

I could be wrong 3/1 when we hit the button seems a long time ago :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

They talked a bit about housing and emphasized that “the sooner the better” re applying and that the deposits are refundable. I had a good conversation with housing today and they said that the student could choose old vs. new and a variety of options, including singles (will try shortly!). The singles point was surprising as at some schools that is completely off the table. With the older dorms the kids are very close to the main quad and the B school whereas with the new dorms they are closer to the gym and the main cafeteria style dining hall with probably a ~10 min walk to most classes

2 Likes

We had the option to defer deposit when we put in for housing on 3/1. I am hoping to make the decision 4/1. Then if it is CPP pay the housing deposit and the acceptance fee and be done! Providing this is our choice. I think it will be.

1 Like

Another thing I find interesting is that CSUF is often overlooked but is statistically comparable to CPP (acceptance rates, admitted student GPAs). CPP arguably has the better engineering dept vs. CSUF but the opposite is arguably true re the business programs. CSUF looks a bit more urban and we’re visiting soon to check it out - it’s one of Jr’s “shortlisted schools” as well. Bottom line is we are fortunate to live in a state with ~30 good public school university choices! Feels like too many choices sometimes arrrgh!

1 Like

For sure, and there’s a lot of mental gymnastics involved to figure it out. For instance our son cleared the CPP index bar for Business - CIS (non-impacted major) but came in just under the index figure for CS, and his MFA score is above the index score for Comp. Engineering (impacted, another major he was considering). So he was declined for CS, accepted to Biz-CIS as his alternative major and would’ve been hosed entirely if he’d elected Comp. Eng. as his alternative (even though Comp Eng has a lower MFA threshold, that he was over). Whew, wore me out just typing that! ; )

Personally, I thought the food was pretty standard “college cafeteria” fare but Jr was looking for more protein, more healthy options. Decent overall first impression though re food and there’s plenty of options on campus, even if they trend towards fast-foodish (which appears to be an overall trend on public college campuses IMHO)

1 Like

Agree we got into CSUF and it was one of the top ones.

1 Like

My daughter got into CSUF as well for civil engineering. I’d be interested to know what you think of the campus. We haven’t been there yet.

1 Like

Sure, I’d be happy to report out here. We’re off to visit a few NorCal schools shortly then ASU, then CSUF so it’ll be a couple of weeks. One of the things Jr. likes about CSUF, at least on paper, is that it looks likes there’s off campus apartments and things to do within close walking distance vs. CPP is a pretty self-contained campus. CPP isn’t isolated from town like UCSC but it’ll take a few minutes on a bike or a good :15 to walk down to the mini-mall in the direction of Innovation Brew Works

2 Likes

My son accepted to CSUF for ME. Here is one of the factor for consideration.

4 Likes

My son was also accepted to CSUF, and it’s high on our list- that’s great to hear more money coming their way! We were weary it wasn’t “known” for engineering but were considering it for sure.

2 Likes

We visited CSUF. The campus was lively and vibrant, with an urban feel. Parking was insane. I think the dorm life would likely be even quieter than CPP, as there is no requirement for freshman to live on campus, but they had dorms which were clean but older.

4 Likes

should have posted as reply to earlier CSUF comments, sorry

Hello! I have a question about housing. How soon after sending in an application will they offer you dorms? And do you need to put down the deposit in order to get a reply?

Housing is not guaranteed so applying earlier is better.

Room assignments and preferences are not guaranteed, and priority is given to students that apply early. Due to extremely high demand for on-campus housing, it is strongly recommended that admitted students apply and pay their initial payment as soon as possible. Students that decide not to attend Cal Poly Pomona and cancel their housing application within the 45-day cancellation deadline, will receive a full refund of their housing fees.