Cal Poly Pomona Official Thread Class of 2027

Does CPP typically have an admitted students day on the spring?

Open House and Admitted Students day info not yet posted. Last year was April 9, 2022.

3 Likes

I’m sure this has been discussed before. Below is the Freshmen Student Profile for each major. It’s basically GPA x 1000 + 450. The highest majors in order appear to be Computer Science, Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Animal Health Science. To simplify, these majors average over a 4.0 GPA. Considering that the average GPA for all incoming freshmen is 3.8 but most majors have the minimum index score of 2950, I don’t think these profiles tell the entire story but it’s better than nothing.

https://www.cpp.edu/admissions/freshmen/freshman-student-profile.shtml

3 Likes

So the GPA includes 9th grade A-G courses? I got an impression that Cal Poly SLO is the only one in CSU schools that counts for 9th grade classes. My son is borderline to ME major, so what is the max CCP points can get from extra-curricular activities? Thanks!

The A-G GPA noted by Cal Poly Pomona is the CSU GPA capped weighted so 10-11th A-G grades and not like Cal Poly SLO’s 9-11th grades.

It would be helpful if CPP would list the points they give for the other MFA Criteria, but if the GPA alone puts a student at or above the threshold listed, then applicants can at least get an estimate of their chances.

Even SJSU lists the Math GPA as part of their impaction index but they do not specify if it is 9-11th or 10-11th and if they give extra weighting in the calculation for Honors/AP/IB or DE courses. Unfortunately not complete transparency.

1 Like

Wow, seems like ME major has highest CPP index at college of Engineering. Looks like admission standard of ME at CPP is very close to SLO. I thought I can count CPP as safe school for my son, seems I am wrong.

CPP Engineering cannot be considered safe for any applicants within the last few years. That’s how crazy competitive so many schools have become.

3 Likes

They didn’t get in or they just haven’t received an email?

I was looking a few days ago and found this on the CSU website - looks like April 15 - but nothing on the CPP website yet.

https://www.calstate.edu/apply/choosing-a-campus/Pages/campus-events.aspx#InplviewHashabd8f3fa-fb0b-487a-acd9-1b4c9e8a73f0=%20guests%3D-FilterField1%3DCampus-FilterValue1%3DPomona-FilterField2%3DIntendedAudience-FilterValue2%3DAdmitted%20students%20

4 Likes

Open houses for CPP, SDSU, and CSULB all on same day!

I guess I can see them doing all of the LA and “nearby” area colleges on the same weekend (SLO is that weekend, too - but the main day appears to be the 14th) - not necessarily same day, but I guess a family could squeeze in a couple of campuses on one day if needed and maybe save on travel costs. But for SDSU to also do theirs on that day is terrible. What the heck, man?

1 Like

I am a prospective student and was wondering how the CPP Pre-med advising is. I can use any help I can get!! Thanks so much

Daughter was accepted by email 2/1 at 7:57pm (surprised it came at night) - Aerospace Engineering
Unweighted: 4.0, Capped 9th-11th GPA: 4.22, Capped 10th-11th GPA 4.33

10 AP classes, her school does not offer honors classes
Lots of leadership experience

3 Likes

Looks like not all the engineering majors are impacted.
My son CSU GPA is at low 3.8 , no hope for Mechanical Engineering as primary.
Hope he can get in with Manufacturing Engineering as alternative. Not sure if you can change major within college of engineering at CPP. He is in-state no local.

https://www.cpp.edu/admissions/freshmen/freshman-student-profile.shtml

Program (Majors) Local Non-local
|Electromechanical Systems Engineering Technology|2950|2950|
|Electronic Systems Engineering|2950|2950|
|Industrial Engineering|2950|2950|
|Manufacturing Engineering|2950|2950|

Here is the current change of major for ME. It should be easier to change majors within the College of Engineering vs. outside the College.

Mechanical Engineering**

Requirements for Lower-Division and Upper-Division Students

• 3.2 CPP, Overall and courses in ME Core GPA
  • B or better in MAT 1140, MAT 1150, PHY 1510 and PHY 1510L
  • Completed at least 30 semester units at CPP
  • Requests must be submitted to the department office by the 5th week of spring semester.
    If a major is impacted, it means that Change of Major requests are only processed to be effective in the fall semester, and are subject to available space.
    The big takeaway is that even meeting requirements may not guarantee a spot.

CPP is one of the few CSU campuses that does consider alternate majors.

1 Like

When my son was filling out the application, I remember Cal poly SLO/Pomona and SJSU allow you to pick alternative major.
Mechanical Engineering is one of the hardest to admit within engineering field. Hope my son can get into Pomona or SJSU with alternative less competitive engineering major.
Thanks for you info! :slight_smile:

Cal Poly SLO only occasionally considers an alternate major and usually it is in another College than the College of Engineering ie. Physics/Stats/Math/Bioresource Engineering etc…

SJSU only considers the alternate major if there is additional capacity in the alternate major.

CPP is more consistent in considering an alternate major.

1 Like

Looks like first waitlisted student on this thread.

Animal Science (pre-vet) major waitlisted last night (2/14).
4.21 CSU GPA
3.9ish UW

3 college (dual enrollment) courses
4 APs
8 Honors
Science Academy Graduate along with High School Diploma
High school football 4yrs(state champions 2yrs), Basketball 2yrs
Volunteer at animal shelter and community. Leadership groups
CA but not local

*accepted at SDSU, FSU

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the wailtist. Here is the 2022 Waitlist information:
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 10742
Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 4468
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 381

oh wow. This is overall for CPP, not just Science?