Cal Poly Pomona Official Thread Class of 2027

Only the first batch was released early Feb

1 Like

They do rolling admissions usually through the end of March.

1 Like

Wow, those are high stats, kids. Do you think they’ll go to CPP?

Hi Penepole,

How are the bio teachers particularly in the pre-med courses? Are they good?

Also, how hard is it to maintain a high GPA that med school requires?

Glad to see she got an internship. Is she atypical or did most students get one.

1 Like

Question for the group.

I see lots of high GPA kids here, as high or even higher than the admits into UCSC/UCR/UCM. Are you using CPP as a backup or do you prefer it to these UCs?

CPP was a bit of an unknown quantity for my kid. We’ve not heard much about it at all.

Pardon my french, but how does a kid with 12 5 classes and a 4.2+ GPA get wait listed at a Cal State?

Animal Science is an impacted major and looks pretty selective. I saw some old threads suggesting admit rates several years ago that were under 40%, so presumably it could be more competitive now. The tough thing about admissions is that it can matter a lot what you are applying for, depending on where you are applying for it. So you can’t just look at topline admissions when coming up with a list. CPP is a great school. My brother just got a graduate degree in landscape architecture from CPP and seems well-prepared. Good luck to all on this thread!

Sure, most schools have strengths what are their strengths. I’m hoping Bio! The department seems huge (30+ faculty).

1 Like

Cal states give priority to local in-service area applicants so there is a higher bar for non-local applicants (not sure if they are non-local). Animal Science is a major not found at many schools so the competition is higher with more applicants and fewer spots which is the definition of impaction.

1 Like

My Kids applied to 4 CSU’s for CS(SJSU/CPP/SDSU/SLO). SJSU is our local school. They got into SJSU (which came after CPP). CPP/SDSU were safety choices in case they don’t get into SJSU and any of the top 6 UC’s. As you know UC’s are lottery for even high stats.

1 Like

@Gumbymom S23’s appeal was granted and he was admitted to BArch! Thank you so much for your guidance :grinning:

2 Likes

Excellent news and congratulations!!!

2 Likes

For us, CPP is pretty well known for Engineering and they have a great track record for hiring to great companies/organizations. Also, my son prefers Pomona over Riverside (which he also got accepted to). We will visit both schools and talk to their faculty on Welcome Day/Open House.

1 Like

That was my exact response.
My other son, class of 2021, slightly lower GPA and no Science Diploma, was accepted into the Mechanical Engineering program so I actually thought CPP was a guaranteed admission, great back up choice, for this son.

Thankfully he’s got some good choices.
UCR just admitted him today.
FSU mid December and SDSU mid January.

Honestly Pretty mad, got denied CS accepted to CPP Choice(3 of the weirdest major combos I’ve seen), Stats below
8 AP
5 Honors
16 CC

3.89UW, 4.05W??? (don’t even know how it was calc’d to be that low but I j checked CSA)
Local to LA

The capped weighted CSU GPA uses grades from the a-g course requirements taken the summer after 9th through the summer prior to 12th. It is capped at 8 semesters of UC approved Honors, AP/UB or CC/DE courses. The CC courses are counted as 2 semesters so after a certain threshold, the more a-g courses the lower the Capped weighted CSU GPA. Your HS course rigor is excellent but some CSU campuses do not count the CC classes in their recalculated GPA.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s still pretty odd as even with Freshman year taken out I have 2 Honors 2AP and 10 CC courses in my Sophomore year(early grad so I don’t have a junior year). UC gpa calc’d that to 4.4 capped and 4.5uncapped iirc, I’ll shoot an email to maybe see what’s going on there regardless because last time I checked the number was 4.2 in the portal.

EDIT: just did a manual calc and even then this doesn’t add up, who can I contact about this?

For CC’s classes the UC GPA calculation only uses 1 grade/semester and 1 honors point. CSU’s use 2 grades for a CC semester class and 2 honors points thus the GPA gets diluted.

I also think they max out 4 honors semesters that can be used from Sophomore year. So you may not be getting the full 8 semesters if none were taken junior year(you mentioned no junior year/early grad).