Cal Poly Pomona Official Thread Class of 2027

@Ramlord
@SoCal2023 is correct. This is from the CSU GPA calculator website:

** The maximum number of honors courses you can use is eight semesters. No more than two approved honors-level courses taken in the 10th grade may be given extra points.**

Ah yeah that’s definitely what screwed me then

Anxious mama here. My son applied to 5 schools for mechanical engineering and has been accepted to all except CPP. He started receiving acceptances very early- and now we wait in agony. I don’t know his particular stats- not nearly as high as others have posted. But he’s on IB track in school with several IB classes, some CC classes this year, and engineering classes in his school. But he has been accepted to Fresno State, CSU Fullerton, CSUCI (mechatronics, but we just recently learned they aren’t ABET so now he’s scrapping that choice), and University of Nevada, Reno. CPP is his first choice, we are in state but not local boundaries I don’t think. He was priority accepted for UNR but we waived it to wait for CPP. I’m just anxious- but do they really keep accepting all the way through March? Is it a “no news is good news” situation?

Last year there were acceptances still being posted as late as March 29th in between waitlisted and denied applicants. No Decision = No Decision. Patience is important with Cal Poly Pomona.

If my son waitlisted at his first choice major, will he be considered the alternate major right the way? Or wait until you rejected the waitlist before they start considering alternative major?

CPP considers the first choice major, then the alternate major if space is available. If waitlisted, the applicant will be waitlisted for their first choice major. Even on the waitlist, you may be considered for your alternate major based upon availability. Please note, we cannot guarantee that you will be placed in your alternate major.

1 Like

Gumbymom, as I posted above regarding animal science and my sons waitlist, am I reading correctly that potentially he can be admitted into alternate and remain on the waitlist for primary? In his case, alternate is agricultural science and primary is animal. He’d remain on AS waitlist and potentially be admitted into Agricultural?

If an applicant is waitlisted, it is for their first choice major however, they can be admitted with either the first choice or alternate major from the waitlist. In the past, if CPP does not admit the applicant to their first choice major they are then considered for their alternate major prior to be given a decision.

With the CSU’s, things can change but since your student has already been given the waitlist decision, I would say that the alternate major has already been considered. You could contact admissions and ask to confirm.

From CPP website:
** Cal Poly Pomona admits applicants to their alternate major only if there is additional capacity beyond those admitted as a primary major. This means that you might meet the threshold for your alternate major, but because there is no additional enrollment capacity, you may not be offered admission into your alternate major.**

1 Like

Accepted Environmental Biology in the College of Science.
GPA: 4.1

4 Likes

Has anyone heard of CPP Choice? Jr. was rejected for CS but offered a choice of Business-CIS, Physics or Science, Tech & Society as alternative majors. He needs to select a major by 3/16, then receives official notice of acceptance 2-3 days later with SIR due 5/1. Business-CIS looks pretty interesting IMHO - basic business major covering accounting, ops, HR, marketing, stats, macro/micro, coms + ~2/3 of a core CS courseload minus algos, linear, discrete math. Anyone have any kids that Business-CIS majors? If so, how do they like it?

I’ve heard that CIS has a strong faculty and industry connections, particularly if you are interested in cybersecurity.

Of the three, he’s most interested in the Application Dev specialization but cyber and BI look interesting as well. I was surprised that instead of offering admission to his alternative major they offered three alternatives. He’s got some interesting choices ahead, already accepted for CS at Fullerton, CSULA, Chico, SF State, Fresno, Sac State and ASU. Waiting on SLO and SDSU!

Maybe the alternative major was impacted? That is good that they put some thought into other good alternatives for your student. Good luck to your kid. My kid has a lot of acceptances in common with yours…Fullerton (CS), Chico (CS), SF State (CS), ASU (CS) and she has SJSU (not CS but Comp Engineering…currently favored among her admits since we are local).

1 Like

Nice they are offering him other alternate majors so what is the alternate major that he applied?

That’s the thing - his alternate major was Business Admin - CIS! So they threw in a couple of bonus options through the new CPP Choice program. Interesting that “CPP Choice” isn’t published on the site but he clicked through on the CPP Choice link in his “rejected from CS but please pick from these three majors” email yesterday and it leads to a basic webpage where he’s asked to make a major choice and then the official acceptance letter comes 2-3 days later according to the email.

3 Likes

We are fortunate here in CA to have a ton of reasonably priced CS and STEM options in general across the UCs and CSUs - congrats on SJSU! Jr. barely missed the cutoff on that one as a non-local applicant but it’s a fantastic school for anything STEM related. CE has the reputation of “CS on hard mode” and it’s a great combination of HW and SW knowledge!

2 Likes

Son 23 accepted to aerospace eng. 4.27 GPA.

3 Likes

Was that today?

1 Like

No we found out Feb 1. Just joined this thread.

Not sure but CPP average admitted student GPA is 3.43 according to their website and UCR is 3.8.