Cal Poly San Luis Obispo - apply ASAP?

A person who I would think was in the know mentioned to me that Cal Poly SLO runs admissions almost rolling, so your chances are better when you apply as soon as the app opens. Has anyone ever heard that before? (My son will apply for Mechanical or Aero Eng)

Any idea how they can possibly make decisions this year without test scores or essays? Is it just a GPA contest?

I haven’t heard anything about the pseudo-rolling admissions thing you talked about.

I know that Cal Poly’s admissions are already very algorithmic in nature, so I would assume this year is going to be very close to a GPA contest (with the other considerations they award point value included as well). But I’m no expert here. Can someone more in the know confirm this for me? I too am very curious.

I don’t believe so, but @Gumbymom or @eyemgh may be able to answer this question.

Rigor of coursework, extracurricular activities, volunteer work, work experience, first generation, geography are all considered in admissions, according to their CDS.

No “Rolling Admissions” boxes are checked, as of last year’s admission class.

Given that their “Dates and Deadlines” page has specific dates and no mention of rolling admission, I’d trust that over “ A person who I would think was in the know” unless that person is in the admissions office.

No rolling admissions to any of the CSU’s. You can apply anytime between now and the November 30th deadline. No advantage to applying early other than one less application to worry about. Just do not wait until the last minute.

https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/first-year-student/selection-criteria

SLO in past years started releasing decisions in February. Usually OOS and International applicants heard first, then in-state followed by waitlisted applicants and finally rejections. This process extended well into April-May last year.

Sorry for the late reply. I’m rarely on CC anymore.

@RichInPitt mentioned first gen and geography. They are used, but not in the way one might think (assuming the MCA is similar to the last time it was commented on publically…2013). First gen does not help UNLESS one or both parents did not complete HS. That’s the boost, not first gen college attendee per se. Geographic location only matters if you are OOS or live in SLO County or N. Santa Barbara County (above Golita I believe). OOS isn’t a boost. You just compete against OOS only. It may or may not be an advantage depending on major. Students who live in the service area get a substantial boost in the MCA.

Any idea how the MCA might be calculated this year with no test results?

So the reality is if you have them send them. Just read an article with someone from the school quoted that they will be looked at for diagnostic purposes. So yes, they will be looked at but maybe not “weighted” as heavily as before. GPA and Ecs will be looked at with more emphasis is my take away.

There’s no place around that has run any tests since March. People were sending kids to other states trying to get tests. According to their website: Test scores for Fall 2021 admission decisions will NOT be considered. The following information will apply to subsequent years.
https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/first-year-student/selection-criteria/testing-information-act-sat

1 Like

I will add a couple anecdotal observations to the “When to apply?” question.

My two children applied to Cal Poly in 2017 and in 2020. Both are attending now.

My son, with some prodding from me and mom, finished sometime in late October or early November. He was informed of his acceptance into Cal Poly at the exact same time as everyone else who was In-State and a Liberal Arts major.

My daughter, who is NOT like her brother, had her applications done in the first week of October, and it was only my wanting to double check it that kept it from going out in the first four days. She was informed of her acceptance into Cal Poly at the exact same time as everyone else who was In-State and in CAFES.

This year will be different than every other year, so take these stories for what they are worth.