Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

Gumbymom (or anyone else) - Is there anything people on Waitlist can do to increase their chances? I’m thinking of visiting friends who are already in the engineering program over spring break, should I make an appointment with an college counselor? Other??? Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

@bridge19 My D has not accepted her offer yet.

@calpolywannabe: There is nothing a student can do at this point to increase their chances of getting off the waitlist, other than to hope that many accepted students do not enroll and open spots for their prospective majors. SLO does not consider recommendations, student’s interest, essays etc… in their admission review.

@Bridge19 @collegemom111111 S has not accepted yet either. No idea whether that was a factor. We will be attending Admit Day/Weekend and departmental tours, S wanted to do those first.

I just spoke to a very nice admissions lady who told me that they are still reviewing admission applications and that every day they are still sending acceptances along with waitlist so don’t give up yet.

@Bridge19 @collegemom111111 Congratulations! Are those scholarships for in state students only?

I got the CPS Cal Poly Merit Scholar scholarship for $12k ($3k/year). In state. National Hispanic Scholar. No need based.

“Congratulations! You have been awarded the Cal Poly Merit Scholar award. This award recognizes National Merit, National Achievement and National Hispanic finalists admitted to Cal Poly. This award is renewable for three additional years based on full time attendance and maintaining a 2.0 or better Cal Poly GPA.”

@Goose15 When and how were you notified about your scholarship offer?

Do any of the other CSU or CPP offer anything for NHRP?

@StudentofLife7

On March 7, I got an email saying “If you are a National Merit Finalist, a National Hispanic Scholar, or have received a National Achievement Scholarship, we ask that you email a copy of your award confirmation to admissions@calpoly.edu by April 1.”

Then, I sent the paperwork and a week later I got an email saying that I got the scholarship. I checked the financial aid section of the website but there was nothing there. I checked back today and I saw it.

@marinebioslo I’m not sure, but it doesn’t say anything about needing to be in state. http://www.cosam.calpoly.edu/frost-scholarship-faq

This is probably a reach but I applied for Materials Engineering without realizing there was a General Engineering major. I honestly don’t know how I missed it, but it is there a chance I could switch into GenE either before or after being admitted? Since I haven’t been accepted into MatE yet, is it worth calling to see if I could switch into GenE now or do they not allow that?

@chrissystar2: You cannot change majors at this point. The deadline was in January. If admitted, then you could change your major. Here is the link: https://advising.calpoly.edu/change-major

Is there ANYONE in the UNIVERSE who has had their portal updated in the last 48 hours w an acceptance?

patiently ?waiting.
bus admin
MCA 4330
???

@StacysMom24 I work with many students and none have reported acceptances or waitlists for several days now. Some very competitive students have yet to hear a peep!

@StacysMom24 Just got accepted yesterday evening and received the acceptance email a couple hours ago! So don’t give up hope yet, they still seem to be rolling out acceptances!

Also, @Goose15 how long after your acceptance did you get the email about the scholarship? I’m a National Merit Finalist, but haven’t heard anything about that scholarship. Thanks!

Does anyone know when the housing application process opens? On the web page it says mid March, but I may not be looking at the right thing. Want to make sure I did not miss it.

@chrissystar2 The General Engineering program is not ABET accredited so you might want to do some research on the marketability of the degree before you transfer into it. Once you are admitted and start classes I don’t think it would be a problem to transfer into General Engineering.

@Mojo88 Congratulations!

@Noliwat @collegiate2019 THANK YOU!