Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

Does anyone know approximately the minimum MCA for the college of business?

@3bzboys You are correct. This has been a topic on the Cal Poly boards over the years. In fact, to meet the 5 years Adv Math recommendation, my daughter took an additional Math- Elem College Stats. She confirmed it while we were visiting the campus with an Admissions Counselor prior to taking the class. Thanks for bringing it up.

@Dad2019 idk but guess anything over 4500 is solid and 4200-4500 is iffy.

Can someone calculate my mca score?
gpa 4.04
Sat 1450
800 Math 2

5 years of math
4 years of lab science
2years of visual art
16-20 work(major related)
6-10 ec (leadership role)

@outami: Post# 199 shows how the MCA points are calculated. With a 800 Math2 SAT score, it should be a piece of cake but I will repost the in MCA information again.

Academic MCA:

The maximum GPA they will use is 4.2, even though you can have a higher calculated CP GPA. A 4.2 is worth 2250 MCA points. CP GPA is 9-11th grades for the a-g courses with a maximum cap of 8 semesters of UC approved Honors, AP, IB or DE courses taken 10-11th grades.
Thus, multiply your CP GPA by 535.7 and you’ll get your MCA points for GPA.

The next biggest thing is test scores. The odd thing, likely because they wanted it to total a nice round number, is that the max score is 1650, even though the max SAT score is 1600. Multiply the total of your best SAT CR and your best SAT math by 1.03125 to get your MCA test points. If you took the ACT, they convert and vice versa.

The third largest section is the class rigor score, worth 750 points. In this section you get zero points for meeting the minimum admission requirements and adders for more than the minimum. The bonuses in order of power are (min semesters/max total semesters/bonus per extra semester/total possible bonus): math 6/10/125/500, lab science 4/8/50/200, English 8/10/50/100, foreign language 4/8/25/100, visual performance 2/4/25/50, no bonus points for social sciences or electives. As with GPA, you can actually score higher than the maximum, but 750 is the most they will count.

Finally, work and ECs, worth 350 points. Work (hours per week/bonus): 0/0, 1-5/20, 6-10/40, 11-15/60, 16-20/80, 21+/100, add 50 points if work is major related. ECs (hours per week/bonus): 0/0, 1-5/30, 6-10/60, 11-15/90, â€Ș16-20/120‬, 21+/150, add 60 points for leadership role.

There are also other Non-Academic Bonus Points:

CA vet/701, Hayden Partner School/700, faculty/staff dependent/700, service area of CP/500, either parent with some or no HS, but who DIDN’T GRADUATE FROM HS/300 (per parent).

@Gumbymom Another thing that Students need to pay attention to is the list of academic requirements listed on Cal Polys website. There is the “required” coursework and then there’s “desired” coursework 
another words kids should be focused on “desired”. An admissions counselor at Cal poly told us that’s what Cal Poly is Wanting to see and supports the highest possible MCA score in addition to a good overall GPA.

@CaliMck15 you are correct in that SLO has recommended a-g coursework beyond the minimum CSU requirements which translates into the higher course rigor points in the MCA calculation.

One thing I am confused about mca calculation is how do they know how many leadership roles they have? Also, for ecs and work, do I add up the points from every hour or do I just give pts for 16-20(work) and 6-10(ec)? And I wonder if they only use cgpa or look into individual’s course list because my cgpa went down when I added college classes. I know thet only count 2 weighted per semester, which puts the students who took more classes than other people at disadvantage.

@Gumbymom In addition, on that same page of “Required” and "Desired"coursework, it does talk about Middle School Coursework and the consideration given and how it is applied. I know a lot of people are confused and/or surprised that Middle school coursework can be applied and listed on the application.

So what would be a good mca score for bio

My neighbor’s daughter just got admitted for Wine & Viticulture!

Instate ? OOS?

@nicikamm In State- Northern California I know they generally release by Major/School 
maybe they’re starting at the end of the alphabet!

@outami My D also had her CSU GPA go down because she took many college courses and got all "A"s. It’s annoying and an imperfection in the CSU algorithm that especially affects kids who go to early college high schools. It’s not the case for the UC capped and weighted GPA since they don’t count college courses twice.
Also, for your ec’s and work, you just get the added points for saying/clicking that that it was a leadership role and/or major related
 so 60 points if you click the one, and 50 points if you click the other.
And for ec’s and work you simply get the MCA points for the block you check (eg 16-20 (work). Hope that helps.

@CaliMck15 Oh, wow! My son heard on reddit that today the acceptances were going to start. I guess he was right! Now I’m so nervous lol

But don’t they always do OOS first?

Did they find out through the portal? Or email??

help me! what are my chances for childhood development with a mca of 4180.3 i think? thanks

@hawaii23 Through the portal. 2 of my daughters have been accepted here over the last 5 years and each time it was through the portal. No email notification in either of my daughter’s experience.

Weird that there isn’t ANY activity on this thread though if in-state applicants are truly starting to receive decisions