Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

@lion24596: They have been doing their decisions this way since 2013 when I first joined CC. Nothing has changed in these past 6 years other than the acceptances are being rolled out later each year. Best of luck to all and you will all do great at a school that wants you.

Yes, I know that this is the trend but I still had a little bit of hope. But thank you and best wishes to you, too!

Denied as well. I wasnā€™t surprised, for me it was a reach for my major - business. Stats are important but your major makes a huge difference. Those of you with high stats would probably get in with a different major. Many of my friends got in with majors like history and wine and viticulture.

denied at the dream school! mca ~4370 for arch, in state

@Wazzu2012 Thank you! and no I found out a like a few days before March 15th, but I just commented on here late

i got rejected from SLO today and i was accepted to UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UC Davis, and UCI. and i applied as a pre-med major. just know ur rejection does not mean that youā€™re not good enough to go. itā€™s just that this admissions process sucks

Rejected

Instate
Major: Mechanical Engineering
GPA: 4.69
ACT: 36
Valedictorian

Didnā€™t put middle school grades

Rejected from Cal Poly today (Mech Engineering)

4.69 GPA weighted
35 ACT
8 APs (seven 5s, one 4)
Coursework through Calc BC, Physics C, etc.
Many ECs, 4-year, two-sport athlete
SoCal resident

Accepted to UCLA, UCSD, and UCSB (all direct to Mech Engineering). Go figure.

My d was rejected yesterday. Business, 3.7 weighted, 1160 SAT about 4,100 MCA. Out of state.

Advice to future applicantsā€¦ (DS admitted mechanical eng) In 10th grade my son and I toured the campus. We also did a session that same day with an admissions person. They gave us great tips that I think made the difference. The advice was Sept of your Jr year start tracking all your extra credit (jobs, vol, etc). So that on Sept of your Sr year you should have exact stats of extra cur hours. DS can tell you how many hours of volunteer work he had for each week and doing what. He can tell you how many hours each week and average over the year in robotics, at Boy Scouts, at fencingā€¦ SLO wants to see extra cur for the previous year. Load the summer with hours to raise the average over the year - I donā€™t mean lieā€¦ I mean work a bunch of hours over summer when you can! Every Sunday evening he went in and updated his spreadsheet for the week. Also the admissions person stressed the middle school class issue. Make sure youā€™ve got those math and/or language classes listed. We contacted admissions every time we had a question. We did 3 different tours and made sure we were registered officially for those (even though it was a 7 hour drive each time). If SLO is your top choice (or top 1-3) put in some serious time researching what they look for. My son read every ā€œhelpā€ box on the app. Please donā€™t read this as a criticism if anyone had a different path in applying. I merely offer this as a possible tips for those applying (siblings?) in the future.

Rejected.
4.33 GPA, 30 ACT, 1440 SAT.
In state.
Yet I have been waitlisted at UCLA, Colorado College (5% Regular Decision Acceptance Rate), Emory, Colby, Washington and Lee, and Hamilton.
I got accepted to UC Davis and UC Santa Cruz with $8K scholarship.
Another girl from my school got accepted for a track scholarship and she has a 3.0 GPA, and a 1000 SAT. The only difference is that her family makes more money.
Sometimes the world is not fair and we have to live with it. Personally, this makes me stronger. I don`t need Cal Poly anyway.

Rejected
4.0 GPA W, 1360 SAT (590eng, 770math), SAT II: (690math, 670 chem)
In state.
Accepted into UC Irvine, Cal Baptist
Waitlisted: none
Denied: UCSB, UC Davis, Cal Poly SLO
Havenā€™t heard back from: Cal Poly Pomona, CSUN

Rejected
4.5 GPA W, 1580 SAT (780eng, 800 math), SAT II: 800 Math II, 800 Chem, 740 US History
In State
Accepted to UCSB, UCSD second major, Georgia Tech, Colorado School of Mines
Waitlisted: UCLA
Denied: Stanford, USC, Cal Tech, Harvey Mudd
Havenā€™t heard from: Cal

You have some wonderful choices, congratulations!!

Accepted
4.1 GPA
24 ACT
1190 SAT
Major: Child Development
Almost 200 hours of community service (tutoring chemistry students), many extracurriculars
Accepted: Cal State East Bay, San Jose State, UC Riverside, SLO
Rejected: UC Davis
Waiting: UC Irvine

Confused since many people with much better stats were rejected

Son got Rejected:

4.7 GPA W, 34 ACT, SAT II: 800 Math II, 770 Chem
In State
Accepted to UCSD, UCI (CS major)
Havenā€™t heard from: Cal

He is one of those hundreds who forgot to include middle school grades.

Does anyone have any knowledge of adding a humanities related minor while majoring in one of the engineering disciplines?

Son got waitlisted for Architecture
MCA 4456
CP GPA 3.6
ACT 33
OOS

@bairsouth: can you post the stats on the Final Status thread: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2128373-cal-poly-slo-2019-final-status.html#latest

@bdutta @paul1 @gnetsj: Please post your stats/MCA on the final status thread and best of luck wherever you end up.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2128373-cal-poly-slo-2019-final-status.html#latest