Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

@bairsouth I don’t remember the exact date but it was mid April, well before the 5/1 decision date.

Just curious those who were accepted, did SLO give out merit aids? My daughter got some for all accepted schools, except for SLO. Maybe we missed something?

@mango1980: There have been about 4 posters that stated they got some form of merit aid from SLO. Use the magnifying glass on the right bottom or top of this page and type in merit. Any post with the keyword will be listed. Very few accepted students get merit from the Cal states and this year is the first that I have heard of more than just few OOS students getting a small amount of merit aid.

Once you accept the offer, do you receive an email or formal packet in the mail? My D accepted, but the status still has the Accept/Decline and when she clicks on it, it says she has already submitted her accept/decline offer. We thought we would see a formal “accepted” or something?

does cal poly send out packages to students or is everything online? asking for an admitted student :slight_smile:

@mango1980 My S18 received a 1K renewable scholarship. The projected endowment information is online:
http://plannedgiving.calpoly.edu/documents/c/california-polytechnic-state-university-foundation/pdf-scholarships.pdf

Thanks for all the comments. We received emails from SLO to apply for various scholarships. I guess we need to do a little leg work to see what we can get.

Does anyone know around what time/week waitlist applicants hear back?

@lj2019 - i was searching last year’s CP threads and saw that there were people were getting accepted off the waitlist in mid april.

So I am trying to decline my offer (I got in with something called conditional admission TODAY) but my portal says “Congratulations, you have been selected for admission to Cal Poly pending your meeting the following Terms and Conditions.” and cannot decline it formally. Does it automatically count as a decline if I don’t respond to their offer?

@WilliamCollege: It may take a few days to update the portal so you can formally decline the offer. Were you on the waitlist? Also all college admissions are conditional/provisional meaning you need to complete your Senior year classes, maintain a specific GPA, submit final HS transcripts etc… to keep your acceptance.

@Gumbymom I was never in the waitlist. So if I ignore it, does it mean I automatically decline it?

@WilliamCollege: If you ignore it then yes if they have no answer by May 1, you are declining admissions. As a courtesy I would just email SLO admissions to let them know you are giving up your spot so maybe they could start pulling students off the waitlist.

My DD is deciding between Cal Poly Slo (Biology) and UTA (Neuroscience), Any advise?

@CAmom2023: Cost differences? Career aspirations? Biology VS Neuroscience are very different majors so which ones is she leaning towards?

It’s a big cost difference, at the same time her goal is pre med with a neuro science major

@collegereject118, If she did not apply to the same major, the comparison means nothing. Unlike the UCs, the CSUs admit selectively by Major. Next, fair or not, recruited athletes have admissions bonuses, the details of which I don’t know. I do know they exist though because I’ve seen a rare handful of admissions in the CDS that have stats below the bottom cutoffs in the MCA. Last, income is not used in the admissions algorithm. If it was, you wouldn’t see the vast number of students accepted who then can’t afford to attend.

Arlington, TX and SLO are very different locations. Which location would appeal more to her? We toured SLO this week, the campus is undergoing some changes for the better, including a brand new dining complex and new dorms. Also, the library will soon be remodeled as well. Lovely campus. And 10-ish minutes from the Pacific Ocean.

The location is between Austin and SLO, the opportunities available around the campus

@CAmom2023: If Medical school is the ultimate goal, then she should select the most affordable option since Medical school is very expensive and she wants to come out of Undergrad with the least amount of debt. What is her backup if she does not go to Medical school? Neither major is a good standalone major in terms of jobs, so graduate school will be needed so again keeping Undergrad costs at a minimum will be the best choice. What is important is where she thinks she has the best chance of a High GPA, access to Medically related EC’s and a good Pre-Professional advising center to help in preparation for Medical school applications and the MCAT.