Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

This is so agonizing and I’m just the parent!

Last year, my S was accepted on Friday 3/2 at around 200 pm for Electrical Engineering.

Good luck to all!

@marinebioslo I second that. Looks like it’s at least another week. How disappointing…

If they are consistent, maybe it will be March 1st or 2nd. If I got into this school which is on par with some UC’s in terms of how selective it is which is unheard of with other schools within the Cal State system as a whole, I would be happy. It is going to be a busy month for college notifications, as I am going to hear from UCSB on March 19 and UC Berkeley on March 28, and because it is not the topic of this forum, I won’t go into too much detail. As for other private schools on my list, I have estimates based on when they came out last year and I will hear from them this month. Once I have all my decisions, throughout the month of April I will be thinking and I am going to decide where I want to go, accept their offer, and reject the others. After April I declare the application process for Fall 2019 over, and during May - July I am just doing a lot of the busywork which is required for enrolled students. August is orientation and I finally get to move in after this busy process which has been going on since the summer of 2018 because I wanted to get a head start.

I haven’t seen a forum dead like this on the weekends before. On most forums, you can see people responding on there even on weekends, but I am hoping that decisions will begin to roll out on Thursday, February 28 or Friday, March 1, and someone on this forum had a kid who got accepted on Friday, March 2 of last year, which is actually a Saturday this year. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo did have their own equivalent of early decision, and back when it existed you would not get your financial aid package until you received the offer of admission if they accepted you, which would have been in December. It was discontinued because it was unfair to low-income students who needed to determine whether they could afford it based on the financial aid and other scholarships they were receiving, and this forced them to wait until regular decision so they could receive their offer at a reasonable time. It could have worked if they had added a benefit for students, not just low income that they would be given their financial aid offer so they see what they would receive if they were accepted before they receive the letter, and it was a simple fix which was overlooked. Applicants will be notified by April 1, so February 28 and March 1 are likely the earliest we will hear.

I’m hoping for March 1st as well. I can’t stand waiting any longer!

@skcyking72 Agree with you. My daughter got in ED at SLO back in 2015. It was great to already know where you were going in December. Then in 2017, my second daughter got in and was notified Feb 16th or 17th, so this years timing seems really late. Last year was late also.

Guys calm down your decision has already been made so there’s really no need to stress! Also last year the decisions came out like March 1st or something. I’m a current cal poly slo student so feel free to ask me questions if needed!

what’s your major?

i’m a hopeful childhood development major. i just want my decision so i can stop stressing! cal poly slo is my top and i’m a great student but the school is so competitive i highly doubt i’ll get it.

Hi there - new to this forum OOS (WA) and am so grateful for all the input. S18 applied for CS in November and I think his MCA score is 4776, based on what I’ve read. He calculated the work hours wrong, I think - should have been 11-15 instead of 6-10 and he should’ve checked the >25% toward major as much of it was spent tutoring the AP Comp Sci kids in his Advanced Projects CS class last year, and he forgot to consider it. Also had year-round premier soccer so the other one should have been higher probably, too. Ugh. SAT 1570 (if I’m doing it right superscoring - 800 SAT math and 35 in CR ACT), otherwise he has a 1530 overall SAT and 35 ss ACT, CP GPA 4.2 capped. He did put down a backup of AERO, which he’d also love but he’s been coding since he was 10 so is hoping for CS somewhere. Do you think they might at least let him into his backup with that MCA? I keep waking up at 3am thinking about the extra 90+ points…sigh. We just love that school - D20 got into UCLA and picked Cal Poly SLO as ME in Honors program - absolutely loves it. Internship offers Freshman summer, great exposure. Fingers crossed for my S - maybe they won’t cap rigor at 750…

waiting has been like when your mom tells you to do the dishwasher but you sit on the couch for 87 years liike its going to happen but it just takes a long time. I applied for liberal studies and for my second choice major I put sociology

@tkg2023 “1530 overall SAT and 35 ss ACT, CP GPA 4.2 capped” Man, with those kinds of stats, if your son doesn’t get in, please let us know (which I sincerely hope won’t be the case). But then again, with ~5% acceptance rate into CS, it’s a tough cut.

“D20 got into UCLA and picked Cal Poly SLO as ME in Honors program - absolutely loves it.” I love this! I didn’t know Poly has an honors program. If you don’t mind, would love to hear more about what your D has to say about the benefits of the honors program there. :slight_smile:

@sawadeeka She was invited to apply to the Honors program after she got in. That was where she was able to write essays about herself and interview (over the phone) with the professor who runs it. It’s a big deal in that you get to apply to your classes ahead of others for the first two years. You have to take a few credits of honors classes each year to keep it and a minimum GPA of I think a 3.5. There is honors housing, too (at least there was in 2016) but she chose a triple in the engineering dorm (red bricks) as she was afraid she would miss out on meeting people :slight_smile:
https://honors.calpoly.edu/content/admissions

@tkg2023 The trick with CS Cal Poly is there are some 5000 applicants for 100 spots. It’s more competitive than MIT if that’s your major. No matter how high the GPA or test scores, focus on how each of the schools applied to has something positive to offer.

My son is a Freshman ME major at SLO and he chose SLO over UCLA where he received their Regents Scholarship and their Achievement Scholarship. He was accepted to SLO’s ME Honors program but decided against it due to the 7 leadership courses and other service driven expectations/requirements since he want to do Study Abroad and internships and there is the Senior project as well. He heard on March 2 for Mech Engineering last year. Good luck to you all! He (and we) LOVE CP SLO!

@Lorshim1965 I love hearing how much he likes it! Honors is rather rigorous. My D was turned off by the newly admitted students tour there ^ they kept talking about their proximity to the three “B’s” - Bel Air, Beverly Hills, and Brentwood (yay!) not a word about engineering…and then she went to Cal Poly and saw the horses running, and that was kind-of it. My S loved UCLA, so we’ll see. @patertrium I agree. Odds are he’ll probably end up somewhere else.

@tkg2023 I appreciate the info on the honors program. If Poly is still like it was when I went through, getting classes was always a challenge so having first dibs can make a big difference. Also, it lets you avoid having to take classes from professors like Dr. “Flunk em” Farrell. :slight_smile: Thanks!

If you have taken AP tests and scored well or have taken DE/DC courses, you can bring in credits that will help you get ahead in class selection times. My son came in with 108.5 credits and had Junior standing in his 1st quarter Freshman year and was able to register earlier than most. Also was able to skip several classes.

I heard that slo informs the students who were rejected later than those who are accepted. Does anyone know if this is true?