Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

Thank you @Gumbymom
I know you are the CEO of all things relating to California public colleges. At least my answer was pretty close to being accurate :).

My son is IS. We had our SDSU acceptance about Dec 17 via snail mail with an invite to apply for Honors. We hadnā€™t checked the portal because we didnā€™t expect it yet. But heā€™s a ME / robotics kid and is REALLY hoping for SLO. SAT 1400, GPA W 4.47 but that still might be a stretch for Mech Engineering.

when do you all think decisions will be released this year? Do you predict it will be later like last year or go back to old trends?

@memelover123 My daughter was accepted 2 years ago on 2/16. My older daughter 4 years ago did ED, when that was an option, so her acceptance was beginning of December.

Can anyone chance my daughter. She is animal science major. Not sure if that is really impacted too. 4.25 WGPA and
30 ACT. I wasnā€™t sure how to figure the MCA you talk about on here

@Farcreek: All majors are impacted at SLO. Is her 4.25 weighted GPA, her SLO GPA? Here is the link for calculating her MCA points. See post #52

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/1694769-confused-about-mca-score-p4.html

Last year, SLO projected 165 seats for Freshman in Animal Science with 1488 applicants.

That is my SLO GPA. Not sure if I did it right but I think I came up with MCA 4400. Not sure what MCA is competitive for the Animal science major. Thank you for all your insight.

@Farcreek:

Here is what I found on last yearā€™s Final Status thread.

Animal Science
GPA 4.2 ACT 31
In state
Accepted

Animal Science
MCA around 4400
In State
Accepted

Animal Science
In State
5000+
Accepted

I would say definitely in the running for an acceptance. Much depends upon how you stack up against all the other Animal Science majors.

Best of luck.

Thank you @Gumbymom . You have so much valuable information

Hi! I was hoping somebody could chance me for this fall!
I am a in-state student from a top 5% school in the Bay Area. My MCA is 4462 and my major is Public Health. Iā€™m hoping that since it is a new program the acceptance rate will be higher than most other majors. Does anyone have any information on how competitive public health is?

Thanks!

@c2019student: No specific data such as GPA and Test scores other than the averages from the College of Math and Science for 2018.

Average SLO GPA : 4.18
Average ACT: 31
Average SAT: 1420

Also their projections show 45 spots with a projected 506 applicants.

@Gumbymom
Could you tell me what the like projections are for Business Administration?
Thank you!

@JBSeattle: Projected spots 570 and Projected applicants 6053 for First time Freshman Business Admin.

Hello! Do you have any info on the projections for computer engineering? Thanks!

For those of you looking for projections, you can find them all here:

https://ir.calpoly.edu/content/publications_reports/targets/index

It looks to me like the report shows project applications and project enrolled. Does it show projected accepted?

@TheJYWrinkle: No projected accepted stats and each major will have a different yield.

@TheJYWrinkle, Cal Poly typically yields around 33%. That means they accept 3 times as many as they admit. As a result, you can multiply that number by three. As @Gumbymom pointed out though, every major has a different yield and those figures are not public. They do publish yields by college, but because every major has an individual yield, using any number, whether it be 33% for the university as a whole, or choosing the specific collegeā€™s yield number, it is a wild guess to apply either to a specific major. I choose 33% because it makes the math easy, knowing it could be well off.

Could anyone tell me what my chances of getting in as a CS major are this year? Iā€™ve calculated my MCA and itā€™s somewhere between 4500 and 4600 but Iā€™m not sure if I did that rightā€¦
I have a 1450 SAT (770 math, 680 reading/writing)
4.27 Cal Poly GPA
Thanks, and good luck to all who applied this year.

Thanks eyemgh - Iā€™d never seen that before. Yikes - computer science applicants to spots! S3 is going for stats fortunately.