Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

@CaliMck15 can you pls explain how you helped them. when i try to reset my password it doesn’t give me security questions

also is the password case sensitive

Can anyone let me know when instructions were sent to set up portal access?

I applied for business, 4.4 GPA, 33 ACT still haven’t heard :frowning:

@PepperJo october for me

Some time in December

Daughter accepted this am
Journalism major
In state
4.05 UC/CSU GPA
33 ACT
4633 MCA

If CSU’s are like UC’s, UWGPA is most important factor in admission. WGPA, ACT, SAT, AP test scores are only secondary consideration for these colleges and lightly weighted in admission decisions. The reason is that they consider the fact that students from poor districts cannot afford to pay for ACT/SAT training and will get poor scores and schools in poor districts may not offer AP courses. This is why UWGPA is most important consideration for UC’s and CSU’s are likely the same. This is what I learned last year during my son’s admission season from some retired admissions officers from UC’s. So, it is much better to have good UWGPA but not so good WGPA or ACT/SAT scores than good WGPA with good ACT/SAT scores but not so good UWGPA. If you want your good WGPA, ACT/SAT and AP scores to be highly weighted in admission, private colleges are better bet.

@PepperJo Go back to the second email Cal Poly sent you after you applied. It has instructions for activating your account and setting up Portal access

@parentworry, if you want to know how Cal Poly specifically admits, it’s outlined in the post pinned that the top of this forum.

have acceptances stopped for today? ughhhhhh

@uwlover267 I know of 2 students who were admitted last night for communications.

im wondering the same thing…

@jnagra @pepperjo Did you find the second email entitled “Your next step after applying to Cal Poly” and Yes password is case sensitive
Your user name should be First initial of your name, first initial of your middle name, followed by the fist 6 letters of your last name ie: Susan C Johnson would be Scjohnso@calpoly.edu

follow this link:

https://admissions.calpoly.edu/applicants/mycalpoly/access.html

One more thing to add is UC’s do not care much about what high school you attended. So, if you have poor GPA because you attended very competitive high school, they really do not care much in their admission decision. So, it is much more advantageous to get good GPA from less competitive high schools than not so good GPA from competitive high schools. I would think this is the case with CSU’s as well. in general, CA public colleges give heavy consideration for under privileged people. Again if you want your GPA from competitive high school to be holistically considered, private colleges are better bet.

yes @CaliMck15

@parentworry said: “So, it is much more advantageous to get good GPA from less competitive high schools than not so good GPA from competitive high schools.”

That’s assuming you believe the game is getting INTO college. If, like I do, you believe the game is getting OUT OF college, then having the best high school foundation you can, regardless of what it does to your GPA is probably most important.

@parentworry that doesn’t sound correct at all about caring more about UW GPA. They want you to challenge yourself and take rigorous classes. Why would they calculate a UC/cal state gpa with bonus points added on? I think whomever told you what you said above is way off base. They look at what was available at your hs and if you took most challenging courses. UW does not take that into account.

@NewPoster123 and @parentworry, since this is the Cal Poly forum, you can find out exactly what CP values in the thread linked below. Any conjecture about other CSUs and UCs, isn’t really germane to the thread or the forum.

Answering the GPA question specifically, CP cares about the weighted GPA, ONLY AS CALCULATED BY THE UC/CSU CALCULATOR, and nothing else, not how the HS weighs, and not unweighted.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2128874-understanding-the-mca-plus-calculator.html#latest

@parentworry: I take exception that UW GPA is the most important factor in admission especially for the CSU’s since they admit by GPA and test scores only (with the exception of Cal Poly SLO). Yes, all schools will look at your grades for each course, but HS course rigor is highly important in the admission process for UC’s and CSU’s. However, the UC’s and CSU’s do consider the student in the context of what each HS does offer in terms of rigor.

The UC’s will look at your UC Unweighted GPA, Capped Weighted UC GPA and Fully Weighted UC GPA. An the CSU’s will look at UW GPA but use the Capped Weighted CSU GPA in the Eligibility index calculation or in SLO’s case the MCA point calculation to rank applicants based on EI/MCA and major.

Take a look at the common dataset for all CSU’s and UC’s and you will see the HS course rigor is Very Important.