Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

I applied PoliSci and haven’t gotten anything yet. Losing hope rapidly

Does anyone know if applications will or will not be accepted for not have middle school algebra 1 grades on their application?

@parentworry - Like all colleges, Cal Poly accepts more students then they expect to enroll and try to figure out how many to accept based on prior year stats of # accepted vs enrolled. I know a few years ago they ended up with substantially more students enrolling than usual and were overenrolled so they struggled to find housing for all the freshman and room in the classrooms while staying with their small class philosophy. It’s a numbers game all the schools have to play now and they resolve it by accepting fewer applicants but having the wait lists. From what I’ve seen the # of apps at the safety schools has increased because people panic and over apply and that is driving up stats of applicants and making it difficult on the colleges too. It’s really out of control. But Cal Poly is not a safety school. You need ivy level stats to get in to many of the more impacted majors. From what I’ve observed if a student has the right stats/scores for their major for that year compared to other applicants for that major they stand a chance at getting in. If they fill the spots with students with higher stats then they get waitlisted. One of my sons didn’t get in a few years ago and he had strong stats but when I saw the stats of the students for his major that were accepted it made sense. I didn’t see students with lower stats getting in to his major like I often see with other schools who take a more holistic approach. He just didn’t make the cut there but he got into several great out of state schools with much higher national rankings that had fewer applicants and took a more holistic approach and he received generous Merit scholarships from most of those. It worked out fine and he had plenty of other good choices but CP would have been great for him as well.

I know quite a few students who chose to attend CP over offers they received from prestigious private schools or UC’s because they fell in love with the school and the cost difference is pretty substantial in most cases because CP is a bargain.

@2timemom just proves the whole ‘getting into a college system’ is flawed . My cousin is in the Uk where the system is simple and effective and does not compare to what we are put through here.

My daughter was accepted this morning to Business and she didn’t include her middle school
math (algebra 1 and geometry) or language (Spanish 1 and 2) classes. There is hope!

has anyone heard anything from ag majors?

@bella0702 nope still waiting as well

@parentworry, you need evidence. Here’s but a few that posted their GPAs and test scores on the Final Status thread. There are many more with VERY high MCAs where high GPAs and test scores can be inferred.

If Cal Poly “managed” yield ala Tufts, their yield would not be 33% and their accepted student averages could not be so high. It is 33% because students who get into the toughest admits often get into the biggest name schools in the nation and choose not to go to Cal Poly.

Students with good GPAs and test scores who do not get admitted either committed an error on their application (left off pertinent middle school grades, missed a required A-G minimum, etc.) or didn’t have enough ECs, rigor, or non-academic adders to make the MCA cutoff for their chosen major.

I encountered one, yes, ONE student on CC where I felt their MCA didn’t make sense. They got into ME with a 4400 MCA. I asked the parent to recalculate the MCA and it came out 4400. She messaged me a few days later saying she’d found out her son attended a Hayden Partner School. Voila! MCA = 5100.

Every year a parent or two cites this conspiracy theory without proof because their student didn’t get accepted. I keep looking for evidence, but I’ve yet to find any. It is why I started this project in the first place.

Biomedical Engineering
MCA 4700+
UWGPA: 4.0
School WGPA: 4.8
SAT: 1560
In State
Accepted shortly after 2:30 pm

Architecture
MCA ~4700
GPA 4.13w
ACT 34
Accepted. Woohoo!
In State

Mathematics
MCA - not sure but probably over 4500
GPA maxed at 4.2, actual 4.25/4.3
ACT 34
Accepted
In State
Congrats everyone!!

Comparative Ethnic Studies
MCA Unknown
4.47 Cal Poly GPA (3.96 UW at my school)
1580 SAT
OOS
Accepted

Both Twin Daughters Accepted to Software Engineering
OOS (WA)

MCA Unknown
One twin had GPA 3.997/4.0 UW with 1470 SAT
Other twin had GPA 3.937/4.0 with 1530 SAT

MechE
MCA - don’t know how to calc
GPA = 4.0/4.0
SAT = 1510 one sitting
many APs and all APs senior year
OOS
Accepted.

Biomedical Engineering OOS
SAT 1570
ACT 35
MCA don’t know
GPA unweighted 4.0
Accepted, yay!

Mathematics
MCA- No idea
ACT: 35e, 35m
Weighted GPA: 4.5, tons of APs and college classes
Bay Area, CA
Accepted @ 5:35, 3/1/19

Statistics!
not sure
GPA: 4.1
ACT: 34
In state
accepted!

Statistics
4600ish
GPA: 3.9
SAT: 1550
in state
accepted

Political Science
4700ish? MCA
4.03 GPA
34 ACT
In-state
Accepted!!!

poli sci
too lazy to calculate mca again
UW GPA 3.92
SAT 1530
in state
accepted

physics
4500-4650 mca
1520 sat, 4.22 csu gpa
in-state
accepted!!

History
MCA ~4500
csu gpa 4.18
sat 1510
in state
accepted!!! yay

Biological Sciences
4726 MCA
4.3 CSU GPA
1500 SAT
In State
Accepted!!

Accepted into Biological Sciences
MCA ~4600
35 ACT
In state

Accepted
Biological Sciences
MCA 4837
in-state
4.4 gpa
1530 SAT

Bio
GPA: 4.3
ACT: 34
MCA: 4808
In state
Accepted

Business Administration
MCA ~4450-4550
GPA 4.33
ACT 35
In state
Accepted

Architecture
MCA ~4750
GAP 4.2+
SAT 1500
Accepted (Portal ~10AM 3/2)
In state

Accepted
In-state
Aerospace Engineering
MCA - 4712
34 ACT
4.04 CSU gpa

@crazycrabman - we too are waiting for industrial engineering. we will let you know as my DS is checking every hour

@poly95 that is bizarre…i am waiting on Bus Ad and did add my MS classes …32 ACT 4.14 GPA CSU. Still nothing!

@poly95 sorry 4.04 GPA CSU

@eyemgh The need for top numbers in every category gets higher every year. My sister went to CP in 2011 when all these numbers were much lower - sigh. We are now at Cal level !

how were we supposed to know that we had to include our middle school grades!??!!

@cy2019 Ummm didn’t it say right on the application please list middle school grades? I’m confused how people did not know they were supposed to do this. It clearly stated on the application to list your middle school classes that satisfied high school requirements…

@TheFrenchChef ah i see. it says in the 13 page coursework entry guide, not the application itself

@cy2019, unfortunately, this little oversight, both in the CSU guide and Cal Poly’s instruction booklet, costs multiple students a a seat every year. It’s unfortunate, because it can be inferred by the highest math and language achieved. Either it is too cumbersome to change or they see it as a test. You can never rely on the CSU application alone though because the requirements differ among the campuses.

@keepingitsimple, certainly for some majors that’s for sure.

@cy2019 - I recall it stating it right on the application where we entered grades. I remembered I was confused bc how the heck do you remember what grade they got in middle school!

Edited - it definitely said it in the actual application - I did not read any coursework guide…

okay so if I didn’t hear back and im biomedical engineering, should i be worried? I know some already heard back

@eyemgh The middle school grades are only required if those courses are used to satisfy the a-g requirements, right? In other words, if an applicant has sufficient high school courses to satisfy the a-g requirements, they are optional. Is it right?