Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

Does anyone know when in state applicants will start to hear?

@ImASoccerPlayer: Usually they hear around Mid-February but due to the extension of the CSU application, it could be later. OOS applicants usually hear first followed by in-state applicants. This is the usual sequence but SLO seems to change it up from year to year so it could be anyone’s guess.

Once the decisions start coming out, you will see a lot of activity on this thread.

@Gumbymom
Maybe I will have my D check since we are OOS.

@JBSeattle, OOS hears earlier than in state, but this would be early still. International rolled in early first and in dribbles last year too. Once they start releasing US decisions, you’ll know because this board will blow up. :smiley:

@eyemgh
Makes sense and thanks!

I roughly calculated my MCA to be 4337 (3.65 gpa and 1490 sat) plus high rigor of classes and lots of EC.

Chances as history major?

Daughter’s MCA is between 4360 and 4480 so let’s go w an avg of 4420 (used 9-11 a-g grades but wasnt sure about how many points to assign for ECs/work). i checked out last two year posts and there seemed to be several w lower (& many higher) MCAs but they didnt actually calculate their MCA. I would love your opinion on her odds of being accepted to business admin. @eyemgh

and @Gumbymom !!

How do you calculate the cal poly gpa? I used my weighted capped UC gpa which I guess is wrong

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2047291-how-to-calculate-mca-score-p1.html

Post#1

looks like daughters MCA is 4360. wish i had seen how she answered those EC questions! she lost about 100 points! @eyemgh and @Gumbymom

Post #1 doesn’t say how to calculate the gpa though. Is it just a straight gpa for 9th/11th? No weighting? Do you use plus and minus grades or straight grades?

i thought there was a link to a calculator on the post. its a-g courses taken btwn 9-11th and u can add up to 8 semesters of ap/uc approved honors.

@ImASoccerPlayer: You can use the CSU GPA calculator and add in your 9th grades with a 8 semester cap for UC approved Honors, AP, IB or DE courses taken 10-11th grades or use the Roger Hub UC calculator and also input 9th grades with the 8 semester Honors cap.

https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/eligibility-index

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

@StacysMom24: Since SLO does not list an EI cutoff for their majors, I compare the applicants SLO GPA and test scores to the averages for each College along with the projected target acceptance #’s.

So Average SLO GPA for the College of Business Admin was 4.12 Average ACT was 30 and Average SAT was 1410 If the applicant’s stats are at or above the averages, they usually stand a decent chance for an acceptance. Much depends upon how competitive the other History majors will be with their academic stats.

@StacysMom24: Sorry wrong major. Made the change about the averages.

THANK YOU so much for responding! just want to check-she is a business admin applicant. does this still apply? she put poli sci as her second choice.

@StacysMom24: Sorry wrong major but I made some of the changes in the above post. For projected target #’s, 570 spots out of 6053 applicants so around a 28% acceptance rate if there is around a 33% yield. Again, the MCA looks solid but not knowing the cutoff and the MCA’s of the other applicants, it is hard to say her chances.

Thank You So Much!!!

@Gumbymom
Can you give me input on the below? My score is actually higher if I include freshman grades as I had straight As almost - in my junior year my grades dropped a bit

I roughly calculated my MCA to be 4337 (3.65 gpa and 1490 sat) plus high rigor of classes and lots of EC.

Chances as history major?

Thank you in advance!!

@ImASoccerPlayer: Like I stated on the other recent posts, since SLO does not list their MCA point thresholds it is difficult to determine how you compare to the other applicants and if you have a good chance for an acceptance. Your GPA is on the low side for the College of Liberal Arts (average 4.04) but your SAT is above the average of 1355. With around a 40% acceptance rate, you look like a competitive applicant.

Best of luck.