Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

@StacysMom24, all I could do is direct you to search the Final Status thread for her major last year. Good luck!

@eyemgh - Thereā€™s not much information on aerospace engineering and the MCA. My S has a 3.81UW, 4.07W Cal Poly GPA (4.21W overall GPA), SAT 1420 and an MCA of 4695 (so close to 4700, but not quite there). I am wondering what his chance of acceptance is.

@Ca2017senior, probably on the bubble. I wish I could tell you beyond that, but I canā€™t. His MCA is pretty high, but his SAT and GPA are holding him back a bit. They are both below the average for the applicant pool to the CENG as a whole. Good luck and have a safety.

Regarding safeties, my son almost chose his over SLO, so a safety should not be a ā€œwell, I didnā€™t get in anywhereā€ choice, but one a student has enthusiasm for.

so Feb 15th is what weā€™re thinking?

does anyone know anything about the major AG coms? I know it is a newer major, but just curious about my chances.

weighted GPA: 3.86
STAT: 1250

took AP Human (sophomore year)
took AP Environmental Science (junior year)
also took spanish in 8th grade and took it up to Level 4 honors (8th grade- junior year)
AP Stats (senior year)
also did work related to the major

@Gumbymom
Thoughts on my sonā€™s chances. OOS New Jersey. Applied to College of Architecture. 33 ACT 3.65 (weighted) GPA
Eagle Scout and lots of leadership roles academically and on sports teams but understand that does not matter too much in CA system
Thanks!

@barisouth: HIs GPA is below the average of 4.02 for the Architecture college but his ACT is above the average of 29. Have you tried calculating his MCA score? I would say at least a 50/50 chance but being OOS is an advantage since he will be full pay and the Cal States are always interested in the extra $$. As I have stated before, it is difficult to determine anyoneā€™s chances since he will be compared to all OOS Architecture applicants and not knowing their stats, there is no way to compare.

Best of luck to him.

@eyemgh @Gumbymom I posted above, but I also calculated my MCA and got a 3,812. Wondering how that will rank me against other AG Coms applicants since it is a newer major. Thank you so much!!!

@soccergirl424: The SLO projections for this year for AG Coms was 38 spots out of an expected 144 applicants. Since they accept more students than actually enroll, you could have a decent chance of getting in depending upon their yield for this major and the stats of the other applicants. Your MCA seems a little low but since it is a new major, I am not aware of any MCA data on this major.

Your GPA and SAT score are below average for the College of Agriculture but since SLO does not post for each specific major, it is hard to tell but still seem to be within range.

Did you take a Gap year? Since I checked your posting history to find your stats. Your were posting last March 2018 that you were planning to attend SLO last year and wanting to switching from Food Science to Psych.

Iā€™m not much help with the college of agriculture, but I would suspect a sub-4000 MCA would be a reach for any Cal Poly major.

@Gumbymom I was wondering what you think the chances are of being admitted to Industrial engineering with a MCA of 1650. Iā€™m starting to get pretty nervous as we are approaching the date when they release decisions haha.

@crazycrabman: I hope your MCA of 1650 is a typo?

@Gumbymom Oh shoot I guess I somehow missed that when proofreading, sorry. I meant 4650. I donā€™t know what I was thinking, maybe imaginary SAT scores haha.

@crazycrabman: Much will depend upon how you compare to the IE applicants. You are within range and look competitive but no guarantees. Best of luck and congratulations on CPP acceptance.

Thanks!

I just wanted to say Thank You to Gumbymom and Eyemgh for two years of useful information. DS1 applied to CPSLO in 2018 for CS ā€“ did not get in (4.3 CSU GPA, 32 ACT, MCA ~4700ish ā€“ what an eye-opener that was!). He is at Embry-Riddle in Prescott studying Cybersecurity (great scholarship!), and I think he is happier in that smaller, less competitive environment (ERAU is very hands-on like CP). This year DS2 applied to SLO General Engineering (in state, 4.5 GPA, 34 ACT, MCA over 4900 if I calculated it correctly). Counting the days!

My son received his acceptance to Pomona, so we are hoping SLO comes soon!

@Noliwat, congrats to son one and good luck to son 2! Reassure him that Cal Poly is cooperative. Students donā€™t have to compete for major since that happens on the front end. Thus, students tend to be very collegial towards one and other.

Is Cal Poly SLO quartery system or semester. is Quarterly too hectic and fast paced?

@ppxyz123 quarter system. My daughter attends UC Davis (quarter system) and she tells me that it is very fast paced! She does like taking so many different courses though. My suggestion is to not overload first freshman quarter until your student adjusts.