Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

How annoying is it that out of state and international students find out before in state California residents? I guess maybe there’s a reason they do it this way but it seems really strange to me. Then again lots of things in this state don’t make sense :smiley:

There are just a lot more logistics to work out when you’re coming from out of state or out of the country, so more lead time is necessary, both for the school and the students. Good luck!

I was thinking about this too…maybe it’s a courtesy because of increased travel costs if some international/OOS students want to attend the open house in April? Not sure a day or two makes a difference, but because there are far fewer international and OOS students, maybe they figure it’s better to get them out first. Who knows.

Well, try living in other states, and you will see how many things in California DO make sense. :slight_smile:

Another perspective that makes the wait annoying is my DD has been accepted to 5 schools that are OOS, 2 private schools in CA and is waiting on Cal Poly SLO and SDSU, she really wants to know where she is going so that if she isn’t accepted into CP or SDSU she can start making plans, she’s pretty much ruled out the 2 private CA schools, so she could be going across the country. Her top 2 OOS schools have already required a housing deposit. I also don’t understand why CSUs take so much time when there are no essays or letters of rec to read.

Good luck too!

Wow, my D heard from SDSU in December! I wonder why the long wait?

But we too are waiting to plan a spring break CA school visit…can’t book airfare until we hear from CPSLO…

@momamet SDSU admitted a small group in December. The majority are still waiting to hear.

@momamet those admitted to SDSU in December were either out of state or high stat applicants, but many of those admitted to SDSU will not hear until later.

CAtransplant & Pepper50 - I did not realize that about SDSU! So much waiting is painful!

Looks like we are waiting till 1st of March to begin hearing? Rough!

Has anyone heard of any
confirmed acceptance notifications of non-international OOS computer science majors?

No. All the posts on reddit about OOS acceptances are international students. I’m still expecting the OOS notifications to start coming out on 2/28, as in years past.

@Doubtfuleyes13 D1 was recruited for sports so this whole waiting-to-hear thing is new to me and crazily nerve wracking since CPSLO is D2’s #1 choice. On the bright side it’s only a week away! Good luck everyone!

@Gumbymom If you apply to SLO with a competitive major like, biomedical engineering and don’t meet the threshold will SLO also cosider you for your 2nd choice major, if less competitive? MCA score 4726. Thank you!

@2020CA: SLO rarely considers an alternate major but I have seen a few posts for some applicants that were denied their first choice major in the College of Engineering but were accepted into their alternate major in the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences.

I have not seen any applicants that got into an alternate Engineering major if they did not meet the MCA threshold for their first choice Engineering major.

CC and Reddit posts are limited so I am not saying it cannot happen.

@2020CA Good question!

@Gumbymom Thank you so much! Alternate major choice was Chemisty but sounds like you need to be accepted for your first chocie major. Best of luck to all.

@Gumbymom Do you have a link to the most recent MCA thresholds/averages?