Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

@Itravis: SLO does not publish the MCA thresholds or averages. You can check the final status thread linked below and search through the discussion to see if you find some MCA scores for your major. MCA thresholds will fluctuate from year to year depending upon the stats for each in-coming Freshman class.

Remember these are self-report stats so accuracy could be questionable but it can be used as a guideline.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2128373-cal-poly-slo-2019-final-status.html

Here is a question for our Forum Champions - so the GPA listed on the bottom of the CSU application (after inputting all the appropriate A-G classes), isn’t the GPA that Cal Poly uses? We need to calculate it using the link that was provided on an earlier thread because of the 9th grade classes? Sorry if this is a repeat question.

@momamet: You are correct since all the CSU’s except SLO use 10-11th grades in their GPA calculation but they still cap the semester of Honors points at 8.

@Gumbymom do the honors points for SLO need to come from 10th and 11th grade? I thought I read that somewhere.

@lkg4answers: Yes, the honors points still need to come from the a-g courses taken 10-11th grades only. Although SLO uses Freshman grades in their GPA calculation, Honors/AP/IB/DE courses will not get the extra weighting in 9th grade.

What about high school credit obtained in 6th and 7th and 8th grade? They do appear on the high school transcript. How do those count?

And the second question. I studied that post about MCA calculation, and the GPA and SAT contribution is more or less clear. The extra curricular activities - are they only judged by the number of hours per week??? And the rigor, I am still at a loss. If the kid is taking only honors classes, how does this go into the calculation… The post with explanation didn’t help much in this regard, should I say… Thank you!

@ElenaParent: No weighting in the GPA calculation for classes taken prior to 10th grade but taking Algebra/Geometry/Foreign language in Middle school will give bonus points for HS rigor.

If honors classes are UC approved, then they are weighted if taken 10-11th grades (only for CA HS students).

** The third largest section is the class rigor score, worth 750 points. In this section you get zero points for meeting the minimum admission requirements and adders for more than the minimum. The bonuses in order of power are (min semesters/max total semesters/bonus per extra semester/total possible bonus): math 6/10/125/500, lab science 4/8/50/200, English 8/10/50/100, foreign language 4/8/25/100, visual performance 2/4/25/50, no bonus points for social sciences or electives. As with GPA, you can actually score higher than the maximum, but 750 is the most they will count.

Finally, work and ECs, worth 350 points. Work (hours per week/bonus): 0/0, 1-5/20, 6-10/40, 11-15/60, 16-20/80, 21+/100, add 50 points if work is major related. ECs (hours per week/bonus): 0/0, 1-5/30, 6-10/60, 11-15/90, ‪16-20/120‬, 21+/150, add 60 points for leadership role.

I’m an OOS applicant and found that I was accepted in early January from my portal, but I still haven’t received any official email regarding my acceptance. I know that CP SLO doesn’t send out emails at the same time the decisions are released on the portal but this seems like an abnormally long amount of time to still not have an email. I was just wondering if anyone else has this experience or if it even matters whether or not I get an email. I’m debating whether or not I should contact the admissions office about this, so it would be great if anyone could give some insight about this. Thanks!

Why not call? Do you have an international affiliation? Most OOS students (and in-state) are still waiting for decisions from CPSLO. But Congrats on the early acceptance!

@Orange824, I agree with @momamet. Congrats on the acceptance! I don’t understand, though, why you are so reluctant to call the admissions office. You shouldn’t trust any of us to advise you on your specific situation, especially since the vast majority of us haven’t even been notified one way or the other about admissions.

@Orange824, are you using a gmail account for your email? If so, check the “promotions” folder of your email account. If you are using a different email, try checking the junk folder. For whatever reason, every email regarding application or acceptance we have ever received for my son (currently a junior at CP SLO) and my daughter (currently an applicant) has gone to those folders. I have no clue why, but many people miss those emails because of that.

If it’s not that, call admissions. And try to call before the In-state acceptances come out. The phones will be ringing off the hook after that.

Son was accepted. Didn’t even know until we logged in to check on status. Received no email, etc. OOS (Canada but US Permenant Residence), Civil Engineering. 1370 SAT (740 Math, 630 RW), ~3.9GPA UW. 4 AP’s. He Lettered in Varsity Swimming, Volunteered at a church summer camp.

Congrats! Do you think he will attend?

quick question: if I’m OOS and don’t receive an acceptance notification on the 28th, does that mean I will not be offered acceptance?

@jaypearows: SLO does not post decisions all at once so if you are not accepted on the first couple days when the decisions start rolling out, there is an outside chance you could still be admitted. Once all the acceptances are out, then waitlisted applicants are notified and then finally the denials. Do not give up until you actually get a decision one way or another.

@jaypearows It seems like some OOS students have found out via their portal, not necessarily an email notification, so maybe check portal if you haven’t yet. Good luck!

@kikiob so far it seems like the OOS students that have found out have studied out of the country at some point in time.

My son is technically in 11th grade; however, did summer college classes and is enrolled full time in a 4 year engineering school. He applied to cal poly Slo as an oos and will have about 40 credits completed. Wondering if he will be considered a transfer or a first year freshman as he has “technically” not graduated from high school (until May). Do transfers get notified at a different time than OOS.

@chaotal17: If he has not graduated HS, then he is a Freshman applicant. Did he apply as a Freshman applicant?

Transfers usually hear after the Freshman.

Yes, I read that, thank you. And this is exactly what I do not understand. What does it mean, “math 6/10/125/500”? Say, looking at my daughter’s submitted application (to several Cal States), I see that she has 6 “years” of C-math (requirement is 3), and 5 “years” of A-SocialScience/History, while the requirement is 2… How do I transfer this information into MCA points?

Or, in a different light… What does the cryptic “math 6/10/125/500” mean? Say, if the kid took, in Virginia, Algebra-1-honors(7th grade), Geometry-1-honors(8th grade), Algebra-2-honors(9th grade), Precalculus-with-Trigonometry-honors(10th grade), AP Calculus BC(11th grade) – how do I translate that sequence into MCA points? I am lost, frankly.

As for EC… 38 hours per week in a leadership role, I guess is 210 points?