Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

Does anybody know if they are still considering students for their first choice major? Or have they moved on to alternate choices

Accepted Tuesday
Animal Science
GPA 4.2
SAT 1290
MCA 4490

got in tonight with an email at around 8:30!

Just got accepted to my second choice major (landscape architecture). Does anyone know how hard it is to switch to Architecture once you get there?

Son Accepted Tuesday
Computer Science
Unweighted GPA 4.0; Weighted GPA 4.2
SAT 1530 (790 Math, 740 Verbal)
In State Student
FYI, son rejected from UW CS today

Daughter accepted tonight (Friday) at 8:30 pm via email

Major: Art & Design (Graphic Design concentration)
MCA: around 4400
Instate, Accepted
GPA: 4.1 W
SAT: 1360

Also admitted 8:30 tonight via email to Art & Design, Graphic Design concentration. In state, A-minus GPA (I’ve lost track of the different ways to calculate it), 34 ACT.

Congrats to all who have been accepted. Please remind your parents to join the Cal Poly SLO Mustang Parents Facebook page once you’ve been offered admission— it has a ton of really useful info about upcoming dates and deadlines—, and students should join the Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 (official) page. Make sure you join the one run by students rather than the one run by a marketing company.

How does one appeal the decision?

https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/not-selected/admission-decision-appeals

@JandTsDad @DiHydrogen2121:

1. If waitlisted at SLO, you cannot appeal only if you are denied.
  2. You need to have new and compelling information if you plan to appeal, not because you do not agree with decision.
  3. Appeals are rarely granted so make sure you are able to document the basis of your appeal as outlined below.

** Submitting an Undergraduate Appeal

Neither grades received in the current academic year nor mistakes made on the application are a basis for an appeal or the reversal of a decision.

1. Send us a formal letter requesting that we reconsider your application. The letter must come from you (the applicant) and be postmarked no later than 15 days after receipt of your original admission decision. Please use this cover sheet when sending in your appeal. Letters submitted via email or fax are not acceptable and will not be considered.

2. Your letter must clearly outline your reasons for appealing the initial decision, and the information you present should be new and compelling. Do not simply repeat information that had already been presented in your application.

3. Official transcripts (in an envelope sealed by the institution) must either be included with your appeal or have been requested to be sent directly from your high school or college and noted in your letter. Transcripts must include all course work and grades completed to date, plus an official listing of the course work in which you are currently enrolled. Transfer applicants must submit transcripts from all colleges attended, but do not need to submit high school transcripts. First-year applicants must submit transcripts from all high schools attended and, where applicable, from all colleges attended.

4. If you are a first-year applicant and the basis of your appeal involves an incorrectly reported test score, you should provide documentation (e.g., a revised score report) along with your letter and transcripts. You must also request the revised test scores be sent electronically to Cal Poly from the testing agency.

5. Letters of recommendation and personal statements or essays are not considered in the admission selection process at Cal Poly and cannot be submitted as part of your appeal.

Has anybody been denied?

I haven’t heard of any.

One of my twins Art and design (graphic design) got in last night.

My other (bio) who has a higher MCA (4601) hasn’t heard yet. Either bio has a way higher cutoff than I imagined, or they still have yesses to come before the nos.

Is it me or does it seem like fewer kids have been accepted so far than in previous years? Obviously not everyone posts on CC, but compared to last year’s threads, there are far fewer acceptance announcements, and there was really only one “wave” that included IS and OOS. They are keeping us guessing for sure!

“If waitlisted at SLO, you cannot appeal only if you are denied.”

Can you explain what that means?

@JandTsDad many schools will have two possible options: either an outright denial with no option to go on the waitlist OR a denial with an option to go on the waitlist. So that is the difference being described. I think what is being said is if you are offered the option to go on the wait list, you cannot appeal that and say I should have been outright admitted. But if you are outright denied with no wait list option, you can appeal that.

If you were denied admission, what would be your basis for appealing?

Has anyone heard today? Last year, people got responses around this time on 3/2 which was a Saturday. Hoping??

Any CRP (City and Regional Planning) majors been accepted yet? I checked the thread and can’t find any… fingers crossed!