Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

@Gumbymom Do you think sending her admissions advisor at CP a quick email expressing her sincere interest carries any weight at CP? I know their process is a bit different.

@5OnTheHill: since the MCA data is limited and self-reported, it is difficult to draw conclusions on any outcome. MCA scores from previous years can offer some guidelines, but these can also change based on the stats for every in-coming Freshman class.

SLO does not consider an applicants level of interest in their admission process. They do not have a holistic review of applicants.

She does have an advantage since there are less applicants in the OOS applicant pool so possibly less competition. Her MCA score looks within range, it just depends on how she compares to the rest of the applicants which is always the unknown.

@Gumbymom I am one of those idiots who lost 300 points because I did not include my middle school Algebra and foreign language. As a result, my MCA dropped from 4500 to 4200 . . . do you think I am out of luck as an in state bio major?

@separatelayer: Odds are against you with that MCA score but look at post #71 since you never know.

What a bummer. BUT CSA GPA is 4.1 and my ACT is 32, so I can hope!

@Gumbymom @eyemgh Can either of you help with an MCA question? Are any points added as a dependent of a cal vet or just for the vet? Thank you for sharing all your expertise.

@Gatormaam, I BELIEVE it’s just for vets and not their dependents. @Gumbymom might know better. I do think there are fee reductions for dependents.

@Gatormaam: I also believe it is only for vets and not dependents.

Dependents can use the GI bill for fee waivers and tuition benefits:

https://veteransuccess.calpoly.edu/content/benefits

@Gumbymom @eyemgh Thanks for your quick responses (not what I was hoping for, but what I expected). Think DC will be in the mix with MCA of 4770 in animal science but was hoping for ‘extra credit’.

@Gatormaam, I would guess that would be competitive. Good luck!

Does anyone has information for the projected number of applicants, percentage of acceptance, and MCA for Child Development major?

@xiaobaomama2020:

Last years projections were 495 applicants for 30 spots.
Acceptance rate depends upon yield but if you use a 33% yield, then the acceptance rate is 18%

The Overall Acceptance rate for the College of Liberal Arts was 28.59%

From last years final status thread on 3 posts for MCA score/stats:

Rejected
Child Development
GPA- 4.1
SAT- 1220

DD
Waitlisted Child Development
4574/1410/4.27 CW
IS

Child Development
MCA~4600
Instate
Accepted

Does cal poly not require transcript to be sent until after acceptance?

@jumpman2323: SLO requires you to sent Final transcripts after you have been accepted and enroll. They are due in July.

what about mid year?

@jumpman2323: Senior year grades are not considered in SLO’s application review so they do not ask for Mid-year transcripts. They will make their decision based on the self-reported grades listed on your application (9-11th).

@Gumbymom why exactly do they do that? It stressed me out while doing it, and really leaves a lot of places for potential error. Wouldn’t it be easier just to ask and see transcript?

@jumpman2323: Cal Poly SLO is not alone when it comes to accepting applicants with self-reported grades. All the Cal States, all the UC’s and numerous other colleges throughout the US have applicants self report their academic history.

I do not know the rationale behind self-reporting grades other than possibly reducing admistrative costs by keeping the paperwork at a minimum. Much easier to review and confirm grades from a few thousand enrolled students vs. tens of thousands applicants.

I could also be a way of testing prospective students to determine if they are able to follow directions in filling out the application accurately.

Unfortunately, it is their policy and all applicants need to comply.

Are we still looking at mid to end February for releases? aka should I stop checking my portal for the next few days lol. I’m out of state, so does that mean they will be even later than most?

@jaypearows, OOS applicants often hear earlier than in-state. Cal Poly acceptances tend to come out in bunches by college. Waitlist and rejection notices come out later.