Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

MY DD in state got in! with a 34 ACT score 4.1 UW! so proud <3

Thanks, @RoseBud44 and @YesEd. Wow, I had no idea – I didn’t realize that the in-state costs of the UCs and Cal Poly SLO were so close. From my OOS perspective, Cal Poly was the most affordable out-of-state option that my daughter had (without factoring in any merit scholarships). Total cost of attendance at Cal Poly for next year for my daughter would be $43,826 ($44,826 - $1,000 Green and Gold scholarship). This is not much more than the total cost at our in-state flagship school, UVA ($41,470). If my daughter gets into Berkeley and decides to go, the OOS cost of attendance at Berkeley for next year is $70,460.

@NoVaRat It’s not that they are close - it’s that her grant covers tuition at either system. But not fees, housing etc. SLO has an additional free of about 4000 (opportunity fee-don’t quote me on the total but for me it could be 4000 or 40000, with all the other costs it’s over my head) than other CSUs. SLO is an incredible school.

My son was accepted into computer science engineering last week.

Congrats! you all must be so happy and proud. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone get in with an Enviromental Management major? Have not seen any posts on this and one of my boys is still waiting to hear. Torture!

@NoVaRat my son is in the similar situation. He is considering OOS Purdue with some scholarship or in state UC or cal poly. Purdue might cost about the same or less.

My DD was Excepted into Environmental mgt on 3/3, 2 other students at her school were accepted for other majors and 2 friends in socal… 4.57 31 ACT

@domrocsmom I got in last week as an Environmental Management major

Super scored ACT: 32
Weighted CSU GPA: 3.87

I also held a job during high school and a leadership role on a sports team

My daughter received the email below from her school counselor today. I wonder if this mean they are done accepting students from her school. I know several of her classmates are still waiting for their decision.

Good Morning,

You are receiving this email because you have been identified as an admitted student to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. An admissions representative will be on campus tomorrow, Wednesday, March 11th, to meet with you, other admitted students, and students interested in learning more about Cal Poly. The meeting will take place during lunchtime in room AH102.

This is not a mandatory meeting, nor do you need to stay the entire time. The admissions representative would like the opportunity to congratulate you on your admission to Cal Poly and be available to answer questions, provide information and address any concerns you may have.

Your reply to this email to let me know whether or not you plan to attend is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

That sure seems pretty telling

Perhaps cal poly was already scheduled for that date at that school? We don’t know, maybe they are just telling those who are already admitted to come as well as those wanting info on the school

Maybe those from the school who had not heard descisions can go early before the meeting or shortly after the meeting and talk to the SLO admissions representatives and ask for clarifications of the situation (does it mean they are rejected if they haven’t heard of decisions from SLO yet?). I don’t recommend them asking DURING the meeting though.

Is there any precedent from previous years to suggest that there is really going to be another significant wave of acceptances 1-2 weeks after the initial one? That doesn’t seem common when looking through these threads for SLO and others.

My DD applied for biological sciences and was notified last week that she was accepted for her alternate choice of major, Biochemistry.

Interesting they would invite recent admits while others are still waiting to hear. They are opening themselves up for an awkward meeting, and at the very least be questioned by people who might be frustrated with the situation.

Thank you…you mind sharing his stats? SAT? GPA and how many AP’s?

@kikiob My guess is that this event was planned ahead of time when SLO expected all decisions would have been released by now. Maybe SLO is having some unforeseen issues in releasing decisions, and ended up delaying of release to all.

As I mentioned, as the meeting was setup for admitted students, I would be courteous and ask before if it’s OK to attend the meeting without official acceptance, and not to ask any questions regarding admission status during the meeting, because that would be unfair to those who are admitted and was there to obtain necessary information to make their decisions. Talk to admissions representative after the meeting should be OK.

I have a friend whose daughter was accepted last year on March 22 and was not previously waitlisted. So you should not assume that all acceptances are out. Keep the faith!

We’re out of state and had to tell our kiddo the only way UCSB was gonna happen is if he magically found another $25,000 to throw at it. Like you, Cal Poly SLO was the least expensive out of state option for us with the best education! Still waiting to see what he’ll decide to do since our Nebraska schools (UNL and UNO) are both paying all his tuition and offering other scholarships. sigh

How much time passed between accepting the offer and getting the FA in the portal?