Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

I visited both, I talked to students, I met with an advisor in my major at Purdue, and I just tried to get a feel for the schools and how I fit in them. Right now, Purdue is pretty far ahead of Cal Poly in almost all areas. Also, I have lived in California my whole life, so going away seems like an adventure. But, the decisions from the UCs will have a major effect on my college choice.

This is disappointing to read. My OOS daughter had a higher MCA than 2 of the 3 above and was accepted to her second choice major Landscape Arch.

Arch is a severely impacted major. The 5 are just in the Bay Area and people we know, just the very very tip of the iceberg

Ya. Feeling like it isn’t going to happen. Like others who posted, I have 1 (fraternal) twin accepted to one dept and the other waiting for a different dept. thanks for the info, and to gratefulmama.

My MCA is also higher than 2 of the 3 and I have yet to hear back yet.

There are other admission factors such as male/female, geographic diversity, 1st generation, etc.

Daughter got in to CalPoly CS and UIUC CS programs. UIUC is in state for us, but just how someone posted above they want to go far form home. It’s funny, we visited accepted student day last week and there was good number of families from Texas and California:) Can someone compare these two programs? Would it make sense to go OOS having such a great offer? Obviously CalPoly would cost us about 5k+flights more first year and they increase their tuition vs frozen tuition at UIUC and 2.5 hour drive from home…

Both are great schools. But I’d setup a new thread in the college admissions forum. You will get more eyeballs than just in the SLO forum.

My daughter also got into both schools for CS. We are OOS for both. If she does not get into any additional schools, her current thinking is that she will attend UIUC. Cal Poly is nice, but UIUC is a fantastic school with a national reputation for CS.

True. I don’t want to derail the thread, but here’s an older article about Silicon Valley hiring, just an FYI:

https://qz.com/967985/silicon-valley-companies-like-apple-aapl-hires-the-most-alumni-of-these-10-universities-and-none-of-them-are-in-the-ivy-league/

I know the SLO campus very well, since we visited several times with both kids. I’ve only read about UCIC here on CC. Here’s a recent thread:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-illinois-urbana-champaign/2161851-uiuc-reputation-in-illinois-p1.html

FWIW, my D18 was accepted to SLO (and other UC’s) and chose Michigan.

Thank you for your insight. I did and did not get any response there:( Here is the link

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/2177384-uiuc-cs-vs-calpolyslo-cs.html#latest

Not enjoying all the speculation, I just bit the bullet and called Cal Poly Admissions offices. She said they are not done sending out admissions, acceptances will continue to roll out through March 31st. Doesn’t get us any closer to an answer, but at least we know the answer could still be favorable.

In other news, I haven’t seen or heard from a single person applying for Industrial Tech & Packaging, has anyone heard back from this major?

My understanding is that at CP, admissions is based on an MCA calculation, not on the intangibles you mention. But maybe there is more to it than that.
And that being said, these instances may well be an in state vs. OOS factor.

Give it a little time. I think most would say, save money, go with the cheaper school AND the more highly ranked one.

The other issue is the two very specific CS programs. Total speculation, but the amount of families that are considering (or have considered) both SLO and UCIC is going to be a very small pool of people.

We live in the SF Bay Area. I think the world of SLO, both as a school and town. The weather, the proximity to both LA and SF, the beach, the laid back campus atmosphere, the hiking and trails, etc., are extraordinary to me.

Also, they have a “learn by doing” curriculum. So, if you’re an Animal Science major, for example, then you get to work with the animals they have on campus.

I think admission decisions have more than MCA in mind. Someone at my school has lower stats than me, the same GPA, and fewer EC / work hours than I do but got into a more impacted major.

This has been an extremely frustrating process. All of the admits and then a lot of silence, it started to make me give up hope.

However, after searching various forums I have not been able to find one person accepted to my major, Kinesiology, just people searching like me. Not sure if it is one of the less applied to majors? If anyone has any feedback on that question, I would appreciate it.

Kinesiology is in the Department of Kinesiology & Public Health which is in the College of Science & Mathematics. The Dept. of Kinesiology & Public Health encompasses the Kinesiology & Public Health majors only. I have seen people admitted to other departments in the College of Science & Mathematics as well as to the Public Health major in the Dept. of Kinesiology & Public Health. I’m hoping that possibly they haven’t released for that major yet and that is why I have not heard anything. Just an optimistic theory.

Or, the people accepted to that major don’t post on these forums?

If you, or someone you know, has been accepted to the Kinesiology major for Fall 2020, would you please post your stats in the CP/SLO Freshman Class of 2024 Stats Only Decision Thread (Final Status) forum thread? Thank you!

A friend of mine was accepted for kinesiology on March 4. I don’t know her MCA but GPA was 4.4 and SAT 1460.

I also saw a Kinesiology accept on reddit. Good luck!

We are waiting for Industrial Tech as well and have heard nothing. Hope that means they have not released them yet! It also is a very small program…

We are also waiting for ITP and have heard nothing. My son has two friends from his high school (IS) that received acceptances early last week for ITP.